|District||Kampala Capital City Authority|
|Elevation||1,300 m (4,300 ft)|
|Time zone||EAT (UTC+3)|
Mbuya is bordered by Kyambogo to the north, Kinawataka and Kireka to the northeast, Butabika and Biina to the east, Mutungo to the southeast, Port Bell, Kitintale and Bugoloobi to the south, Namuwongo to the southwest, Nakawa to the west and Ntinda to the northwest. The coordinates of Mbuya are:00 19 39N, 32 37 48E (Latitude:0.3275; Longitude:32.6300).
Before Europeans came to Uganda, Mbuya was the seat of Kaggo (a Luganda word meaning Whip), the title of the County Chief of Kyaddondo, which covers most of present-day Kampala and is one of the twenty (20) counties of Buganda. The county seat was subsequently moved to Kasangati and Mbuya was converted into an upscale residential and commercial area.
The landmarks on Mbuya Hill include: 
- The headquarters of the Uganda Ministry of Defense
- Mbuya Military Referral Hospital - One of two Military hospitals in Uganda, the other one is located in Bombo
- The Embassy of the Vatican
- The residence of the Papal Nuncio
- The Consulate of the Republic of Ghana
- Our Lady of Africa Catholic Cathedral
- Reach Out Mbuya HIV/AIDS Initiative