|McArdle Irish name:MacArdghail|
|Place of origin||County Monaghan, Ireland|
|Notable members||Kings of Oriel
Ardghail MacBriain MacMathghamhna
Bishop of Clogher
Siobhán Nic Ardghail
|Connected families||McMahon, McPhillips, Mathews|
|Name origin and meaning||"High Valour"|
The surname McArdle or MacArdle was the twelfth most numerous in its homeland of County Monaghan in 1970. The surname in Irish is MacArdghail, from ardghal, meaning 'high valour'. The surname is also common in County Armagh and County Louth.
They are a branch of the McMahon's of Oriel, descendants from 'Ardghail Mor MacMahon' (Irish name: Ardghail MacBriain MacMathghamhna), who was chief of the MacMahons and King of Oriel from 1402 to 1416. They were based originally in the barony of Monaghan and a branch became sub-chiefs in County Armagh under the O'Neills of the Fews.
Not to be confused with McCardle (disambiguation).
McArdle could refer to
- McArdle's disease, a metabolic disease more often known as glycogen storage disease type V
People with the family name McArdle include:
- Aidan McArdle, Irish actor
- Andrea McArdle, Irish-American singer and actress
- Brian McArdle (1911-2002), British doctor
- Brian McArdle (1920-1968), editor of Australian magazine Walkabout
- Cormac McArdle, Irish footballer for Dundalk F.C.
- Dorothy Macardle, Irish author and historian
- Fiachra McArdle, Irish footballer for Kildare F.C
- James McArdle, Scottish Actor
- Jeremy McArdle, Australian community activist.
- John McArdle (born 1949), English actor
John and Tommy McArdle, writer/director team from CO. Monaghan
- Joseph A. McArdle, Pennsylvania legislator
- Kenndal McArdle, Canadian ice hockey player
- Mark McArdle, Queensland legislator
- Megan McArdle, Washington-based blogger and journalist
- Nick McArdle, Australian sportscaster
- Pete McArdle, Irish-American long-distance runner
- Peter McArdle, English artist
- Peter McArdle (footballer), (born 1911) English footballer
- Rory McArdle, football player for Northern Ireland and Rochdale A.F.C.
- Stanley McArdle (1922-2007), British Rear Admiral in the Royal Navy
|This page or section lists people with the surname McArdle. If an internal link intending to refer to a specific person led you to this page, you may wish to change that link by adding the person's given name(s) to the link.|