A US McDonald's McChicken sandwich
|Nutritional value per 1 sandwich, 5.1 oz (143 g)|
|Energy||360 kcal (1,500 kJ)|
40 g (13%)
|Dietary fiber||2 g (7%)|
16 g (25%)
|Saturated||3 g (15%)|
|Vitamin A||45 IU|
|Energy from fat||140 kcal (590 kJ)|
|Cholesterol||35 mg (11%)|
|Percentages are roughly approximated using US recommendations for adults.|
The McChicken is a chicken sandwich sold by the international fast-food chain McDonald's in several countries. The sandwich consists of a toasted wheat bun, a breaded chicken breast meat patty, shredded lettuce, and mayonnaise.
The sandwich, originally introduced in 1980, proved to be a sales disappointment, and was later replaced with the highly successful Chicken McNuggets. But following the success of McNuggets, the McChicken was reintroduced in 1988. But again, McDonald's removed the McChicken from its menus in the United States on September 26, 1996, and it was replaced with the Crispy Chicken Deluxe, which was part of McDonald's ill-fated Deluxe line of sandwiches.But once again, the McChicken was brought back on March 22, 1998 due to overwhelming letters and petitions. Additionally, in the United States, the sandwich is somewhat smaller than it was previously, as it is now on the Dollar Menu, which offers various food products for the price of US$1.00.
The meat of the McChicken sandwich used to be 50% white meat and 50% dark meat. Viewed in April 2015, McDonald's website states that the McChicken contains a blend of dark and white meat chicken.
In certain regions and at specific McDonald's franchises, the McChicken is adapted to appeal to the local population's tastes.
In the south and southwestern parts of the US, the Hot 'n Spicy variant is sold. As of March 2013, McDonald's has introduced the Hot 'n Spicy variant of the McChicken nationally as part of its Dollar Menu, which consists of many of the McDonald's items costing just one dollar. As of November 2013, the McChicken (and also the Hot 'n Spicy) can be ordered as a Buffalo Ranch McChicken, which is a McChicken with Buffalo and Ranch sauce instead of mayonnaise, or a Bacon Buffalo Ranch, which is a Buffalo Ranch McChicken with bacon (the McChicken patty may also be substituted for a Hot 'n Spicy patty if available in the area).
McDonald's restaurants in Hong Kong, Singapore and India serve a spicy McSpicy variant, with a larger, crispier patty with increased spiciness and flavor. Previously, the sandwich was for a time known as the Cajun McChicken; but, the name was changed to just "McChicken" around 2000, when a milder, softer chicken patty was introduced. The spicy variant is also available as the Double McSpicy, which consists of two spicy chicken patties.
In Canada, there is variant of another variant available called the Junior Chicken for C$1.39 (as an offering on its "Value Picks" menu), but sandwich is only lightly spiced. It is referred to as the cousin of the McChicken.
In Hawaii, the Ala Moana Shopping Center McDonald's sells the McTeriChicken variant, a McChicken with teriyaki ("teri") sauce. "Teri" is heavily used in Hawaii and has been applied in various McDonald's sandwiches, such as the McTeri Burger.
In other US states, there is also another variant of another variant, called the Cheddar Onion McChicken, which is a McChicken with caramelized onions and a slice of white cheddar cheese, both on a toasted bun.
In most countries outside of the US, such as India, the McChicken comes on a sesame-seed bun and is not spicy. In Canada, New Zealand & Australia (where it originally appeared as a promotional menu item but, due to its popularity, became a full-time menu item) the McChicken also comes on a sesame-seed bun, but with lettuce and mayo titled "McChicken Sauce"
In the UK, the Junior Chicken is sold as the Mayo Chicken.
In Canada and the United Kingdom, the McChicken name is used for chicken sandwiches similar to but significantly larger than the sandwich that currently carries that name in the United States, while sandwiches closer to the American product are available under other names.
- "Sarasota Herald-Tribune - Google News Archive Search".
- "Charlotte: Search Results".
- "Dollar Menu". McDonald's USA. Retrieved 2012-08-11.
- "McChicken Variety: Jalapeño Cheddar McChicken, Cheddar Onion McChicken, Hot ‘N Spicy McChicken". Grub Grade. Retrieved 2012-08-11.
- "Review: McDonald's - Jalapeño Cheddar McChicken". Brand Eating. Retrieved 2012-08-11.
- "McSpicy™". McDonald's Singapore. Retrieved 2012-08-11.
- "Spicy Press Release" (PDF). McDonald's India. Retrieved 2012-08-11.
- "i'm lovin' it! McDonald's® Malaysia". McDonald's Malaysia. Retrieved 2012-03-19.
- "Value Picks®". McDonald's Canada. Retrieved 2012-08-11.
- "Junior Chicken". McDonald's Canada. Retrieved 2012-08-11.
- "Unique McDonald's Food Items in Hawaii". Mr. Cheap Stuff.
- "Review: McDonald's - Cheddar Onion McChicken". Brand Eating. Retrieved 2012-08-11.
- "News: McDonald's Jalapeño Cheddar and Cheddar Onion McChicken in San Diego". Brand Eating. Retrieved 2012-08-11.
- "What You Can and Can't Get at McDonald's India". Indiamarks. Retrieved 2012-08-11.
- "Mayo Chicken". McDonald's United Kingdom. Retrieved 2012-08-11.