Actress Rue McClanahan at a book signing
|Meaning||derived from Mac Lennacháin, "The son of he who owns mantles," or Mac Gille Onchon, "The son of the servant of Oncho"|
|Region of origin||Gaelic|
|Related names||MacClannachan, MacClenaghan, M'Clenaghan, McClenaghan|
The New Dictionary of American Family Names translates Mac Lennacháin as "the son of little Leannach" and Mac Gille Onchon as "The Son of the servant of Oncho." Leanach means "possessing mantles". Mac Lennacháin is sometimes written as MacClannachan, with variations including MacClenaghan, McClenaghan, M'Clenaghan. Gille is a Gaelic word meaning "servant", more specifically a professional guide for sportsmen, especially in fishing and deerstalking. Onchu, meaning "Mighty Hound", was an Irish warrior who participated in the Irish battle of Cuil Corra in 649 CE.
Points of origin
The McClanahan name is also "Orange" or Protestant Irish, mostly coming from the Ulster area. It is quite possible that the McClanahan family are Scotch-Irish, descended from those whose blood is a mixture of the native Irish and the Scots who came to Ireland in the plantation of Ulster. It is quite possible that they came to Ireland among the Scot-Presbyterian settlers, but it is certain that they lived in both counties long before the implantation. It is quite possible that this particular branch may have been native to Ireland. They are of Gaelic origin and have the bloodlines of both the Gaels of Erin and the Gaels of Albin.
- Rue McClanahan, Emmy award winning actress best known for her work in Maude and as Blanche on the Golden Girls.
- Ed McClanahan, an American novelist, essayist, and professor.
- Jeffrey McClanahan, an American novelist
- Kim McClenaghan, a South African poet.
- Roy McClanahan, an American award-winning graphic designer.
- Mason McClanahan, An American Musician best known for Guitar playing
Preston Moore McClanahan, Jr. !904-1954, Actor, Journalist Preston Moore McClanahan, III 1933 - Artist, Exhibited MoMa, The Whitney, et al.; Professor Emeritus RI School of Design.
- Rebecca McClanahan, current Democratic Representative of the second district of the Missouri House of Representatives.
- Brent McClanahan, former professional American football for the Minnesota Vikings.
- Rob McClanahan, former American professional ice hockey player.
- 1990 Census Name Files
- MacLysaght, Edward. More Irish Families. Irish Academic Press, 1982
- Smith, Elsdon C. New Dictionary of American Family Names. Harper and Row, 1973
- Black, George F. The Surnames of Scotland., 1946
- Baker, S.M. The McClanahan Families From Tennessee to Missouri. LofC #79-111740
|This page or section lists people with the surname McClanahan. If an internal link intending to refer to a specific person led you to this page, you may wish to change that link by adding the person's given name(s) to the link.|