McClintic Wildlife Management Area
|McClintic Wildlife Management Area|
|West Virginia Wildlife Management Area|
North American Beaver (Castor canadensis) may be found in the McClintic WMA
|Elevation||585 ft (178 m) |
|Area||3,655 acres (1,479 ha) |
|Management||Wildlife Resources Section, WV Division of Natural Resources|
|IUCN category||IV - Habitat/Species government Area|
|Nearest town||Point Pleasant, West Virginia|
McClintic Wildlife Management Area, known locally as the "TNT area", is located in Mason County about 5 miles (8 km) north of Point Pleasant, West Virginia. Located on 3,655 acres (1,479.1 ha) of former wartime industrial land, the WMA is occupied by farmland, woodlands, and wetlands encompassing 31 ponds. The area still contains stored explosives left over from the war; these are in a dangerous condition and have been known to explode.
Hunting and fishing
Hunting opportunities include deer, mourning dove, grouse, rabbit, raccoon, squirrel, waterfowl, woodcock, and turkey. Special regulations for deer hunting have been established for the WMA to create a "trophy buck hunting" area. Only bucks with an antler spread of 14 inches (360 mm) or more may be taken in the WMA.
Fishing opportunities abound in the 29 ponds available for fishing and in the nearby Ohio River. Warmwater species fishing opportunities can include walleye, musky, tiger musky, channel catfish, hybrid striped bass, saugeye, sunfish, largemouth bass, and smallmouth bass.
Rustic camping is available seasonally in the WMA. A 100-yard (90 m) shooting range is also available.
- Animal conservation
- List of West Virginia wildlife management areas
- West Virginia Ordnance Works
- Acme Mapper 2.0, McClintic WMA, retrieved November 13, 2008
- "McClintic WMA page". West Virginia DNR website. WV Division of Natural Resources. Retrieved 2008-11-13.
- "TNT area photos". The Mothman Museum. Retrieved 2008-11-15.
- UPDATE: Munitions Risk Closes Part of Wildlife Area Again (retrieved 9 February 2012)]
- John McCoy (2008-08-24). "'Trophy buck areas' begin growth phase". Charleston Gazette. Retrieved 2008-11-15.
- Frank Jezioro (2008). "West Virginia 2008-2009 Hunting and Trapping Regulations Summary" (PDG). West Virginia Division of Natural Resources. Retrieved 2008-11-15.
- "West Virginia Warmwater Hatchery Program". West Virginia DNR website. West Virginia Division of Natural Resources. Retrieved 2008-11-15.
- West Virginia DNR District 5 Wildlife Management Areas
- West Virginia Hunting Regulations
- West Virginia Fishing Regulations