McDavitt Township, St. Louis County, Minnesota
|McDavitt Township, Minnesota|
|• Total||72.4 sq mi (187.4 km2)|
|• Land||71.1 sq mi (184.3 km2)|
|• Water||1.2 sq mi (3.2 km2)|
|Elevation||1,329 ft (405 m)|
|• Density||6.3/sq mi (2.4/km2)|
|Time zone||Central (CST) (UTC-6)|
|• Summer (DST)||CDT (UTC-5)|
|GNIS feature ID||0664856|
Saint Louis County Highway 7 serves as a main route in the township.
The unincorporated community of Forbes also extends into the northern portion of the township.
According to the United States Census Bureau, the township has a total area of 72.4 square miles (188 km2); 71.2 square miles (184 km2) is land and 1.2 square miles (3.1 km2), or 1.70%, is water.
The Saint Louis River flows through the northern portion of McDavitt Township.
Adjacent townships and communities
The following are adjacent to McDavitt Township :
- Lavell Township (west)
- Ellsburg Township (east)
- Clinton Township (north)
- Cherry Township (northwest)
- Fayal Township (northeast)
- Kelsey Township (south)
- Toivola Township (southwest)
- Cotton Township (southeast)
- Heikkala Lake Unorganized Territory (east)
- The unincorporated community of Central Lakes (east)
- The unincorporated community of Makinen (east)
- The city of Eveleth (northeast)
As of the census of 2000, there were 487 people, 188 households, and 149 families residing in the township. The population density was 6.8 people per square mile (2.6/km²). There were 229 housing units at an average density of 3.2/sq mi (1.2/km²). The racial makeup of the township was 96.10% White, 0.41% African American, 1.64% Native American, 0.21% Asian, 0.21% Pacific Islander, 0.62% from other races, and 0.82% from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 1.03% of the population.
There were 188 households out of which 35.1% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 70.2% were married couples living together, 5.3% had a female householder with no husband present, and 20.7% were non-families. 19.7% of all households were made up of individuals and 6.9% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.59 and the average family size was 2.93.
In the township the population was spread out with 25.9% under the age of 18, 6.6% from 18 to 24, 26.9% from 25 to 44, 30.0% from 45 to 64, and 10.7% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 40 years. For every 100 females there were 111.7 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 111.1 males.
The median income for a household in the township was $40,625, and the median income for a family was $43,500. Males had a median income of $37,000 versus $23,750 for females. The per capita income for the township was $16,251. About 9.5% of families and 14.4% of the population were below the poverty line, including 22.1% of those under age 18 and 19.6% of those age 65 or over.
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "US Board on Geographic Names". United States Geological Survey. 2007-10-25. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "Race, Hispanic or Latino, Age, and Housing Occupancy: 2010 Census Redistricting Data (Public Law 94-171) Summary File (QT-PL), McDavitt township, St. Louis County, Minnesota". U.S. Census Bureau, American FactFinder 2. Retrieved October 26, 2011.