McDermott Will & Emery
||A major contributor to this article appears to have a close connection with its subject. (December 2013)|
||This article contains wording that promotes the subject in a subjective manner without imparting real information. (November 2012)|
||This article appears to be written like an advertisement. (December 2013)|
|McDermott Will & Emery LLP|
|No. of offices||18|
|No. of attorneys||1100|
|No. of employees||about 2,300|
|Major practice areas||
Antitrust & Competition Corporate Employee Benefits and Pensions Energy Advisory Environmental Finance & Banking Government Strategies Health Intellectual Property Labor & Employment Mergers & Acquisitions Private Client Tax TrialWhite Collar & Securities Defense
|Revenue||$966 million USD(2008) [non-primary source needed]|
|Date founded||February 2, 1934|
|Founder||Edward H. McDermott and
William M. Emery
|Company type||Limited liability partnership|
McDermott Will & Emery LLP was founded in 1934 and is an international law firm with a diversified business practice. One of the largest grossing law firms globally, McDermott represents a wide range of commercial, industrial and financial enterprises, both publicly and privately held.
Currently numbering more than 1,100 lawyers, McDermott Will & Emery has 18 offices across the United States and Europe. McDermott advises 82 percent of the Fortune 100, 80 percent of the DAX30, 63 percent of the CAC 40, 38 percent of the Forbes 100 Largest Private Companies, as well as 33 percent of the FTSE 100. McDermott represents clients in 70 countries across six continents, with 35 different languages spoken.[non-primary source needed]
Founding the firm in 1934, Chicago lawyers Edward H. McDermott and William M. Emery initially specialized in tax law; a corporate department was established when Howard H. Will joined the firm in 1941. As the century progressed, the firm added capabilities across the legal spectrum, eventually opening eight more offices on both coasts. By 1984, the firm numbered 150 lawyers; over the ensuing 20 years, however, the firm underwent a significant growth spurt—by the firm's 70th anniversary in 2004, McDermott numbered over 1,000 lawyers.[non-primary source needed]
McDermott currently has 18 offices in the United States, Europe and Asia/Pacific.
- Boston, Massachusetts
- Chicago, Illinois
- Houston, Texas
- Los Angeles, California
- Miami, Florida
- New York, New York
- Orange County, California
- Menlo Park, California
- Washington, D.C.
- Brussels, Belgium
- Düsseldorf, Germany
- Frankfurt, Germany
- London, England
- Milan, Italy
- Munich, Germany
- Paris, France
- Rome, Italy
Recognition and rankings
- Named as one of the top 15 defense litigation law firms in the United States by The National Law Journal on its annual Defense Hot List.
- Ranked among the top 10 law firms singled out by corporate counsel as driving innovative changes in the legal services marketplace.
- Recognized as one of the top 10 law firms representing the growing health care industry in the United States.
- Recognized by The Chambers Global Guide for excellence in numerous practice areas, and several McDermott lawyers were ranked as leaders in their field.
- The Human Rights Campaign (HRC) named McDermott Will & Emery as one of the record number of U.S. companies earning the top rating of 100 percent in its annual Corporate Equality Index.
- For the third quarter of 2008, McDermott's mergermarket rankings included top 20 for number of U.S. buyouts, top 10 for number of U.S.-Midwest region deals and top 10 by value of deals in Swedish M&A. According to Mergerstat, McDermott ranked in the top 20 for U.S. announced deals, as well as ranked among the top for U.S. middle market advisors and U.S. private equity advisors based on both value and number of deals.
Community service and Pro bono
McDermott Will & Emery engages in a number of pro bono efforts and states that it is committed to its communities. Through its pro bono and community service program, the firm serves disadvantaged communities and ensures that low-income individuals and families have access to justice. In 2008, the firm devoted more than 94,900 hours to pro bono matters and community service, and more than 70 percent of its lawyers provided pro bono legal services to the poor, to organizations that serve the indigent and to certain not-for-profit organizations and small businesses focused on serving low-income communities.[non-primary source needed]
- "The Am Law 100: A Work in Progress". The American Lawyer.
- AmLaw Global 100, The American Lawyer, September 2012
- "McDermott Will & Emery - Firm Facts".
- "McDermott Will & Emery - Firm History".
- MWE China Law Offices Opens in Shanghai
- Defense Hot List, The National Law Journal. 2006.
- BTI Market Movers: Law Firms Shaping the Legal Market BTI Consulting Group. 2006.
- Analysis of lawsuits brought by or against the 250 largest publicly traded health care companies in 2005. Health Law360.
- "The Chambers Global Guide 2010".
- HRC 2009 Corporate Equality Index
- "Mergermarket league tables & profiles". Mergermarket.
- "Pro Bono & Community Service - Our Commitment - McDermott Will & Emery".