McDermott Will & Emery
|McDermott Will & Emery LLP|
|No. of offices||19|
|No. of attorneys||1,100|
|No. of employees||2,300+|
|Major practice areas||
Antitrust & Competition
|Revenue||$881 million USD(2014) |
|Date founded||February 2, 1934|
|Founder||Edward H. McDermott and
William M. Emery
|Company type||Limited liability partnership|
McDermott Will & Emery LLP is an international law firm with a diversified business practice. The firm is one of the largest grossing law firms globally, and its lawyers represents a wide range of commercial, industrial and financial enterprises, both publicly and privately held.
McDermott has more than 1,100 lawyers across 19 offices in the United States, Europe and Asia.
Chicago lawyers Edward H. McDermott and William M. Emery founded the firm in 1934. Initially focused as a tax law firm, a corporate department was established when Howard H. Will joined the firm in 1941. As the century progressed, the firm added capabilities across the legal spectrum, eventually opening eight more offices on both coasts. By 1984, the firm numbered 150 lawyers; over the ensuing 20 years, however, the firm underwent a significant growth spurt—by the firm's 70th anniversary in 2004, McDermott numbered over 1,000 lawyers.[non-primary source needed]
Recognition and rankings
- Named as one of the top 15 defense litigation law firms in the United States by The National Law Journal on its annual Defense Hot List.
- Ranked among the top 10 law firms singled out by corporate counsel as driving innovative changes in the legal services marketplace.
- Recognized as one of the top 10 law firms representing the growing health care industry in the United States.
- Recognized by The Chambers Global Guide for excellence in numerous practice areas, and several McDermott lawyers were ranked as leaders in their field.
- The Human Rights Campaign (HRC) named McDermott Will & Emery as one of the record number of U.S. companies earning the top rating of 100 percent in its annual Corporate Equality Index.
- For the third quarter of 2008, McDermott's mergermarket rankings included top 20 for number of U.S. buyouts, top 10 for number of U.S.-Midwest region deals and top 10 by value of deals in Swedish M&A. According to Mergerstat, McDermott ranked in the top 20 for U.S. announced deals, as well as ranked among the top for U.S. middle market advisors and U.S. private equity advisors based on both value and number of deals.
Community service and Pro bono
McDermott Will & Emery engages in a number of pro bono efforts. The firm has a pro bono and community service program to serve disadvantaged communities and ensure that low-income individuals and families have access to justice. In past years the firm's lawyers have devoted more than 85,000 hours to pro bono matters and community service annually, and more than 85 percent of its lawyers provided pro bono legal services.[non-primary source needed]
- "The Am Law 100: A Work in Progress". The American Lawyer.
- AmLaw Global 100, The American Lawyer, September 2014
- "McDermott Will & Emery - Firm History".
- MWE China Law Offices Opens in Shanghai
- Defense Hot List, The National Law Journal. 2006.
- BTI Market Movers: Law Firms Shaping the Legal Market BTI Consulting Group. 2006.
- Analysis of lawsuits brought by or against the 250 largest publicly traded health care companies in 2005. Health Law360.
- "The Chambers Global Guide 2010".
- HRC 2009 Corporate Equality Index
- "Mergermarket league tables & profiles". Mergermarket.
- "2013 Social Responsibility Report - McDermott Will & Emery".