McDonald's Premium line
The McDonald's Premium line is a group of products introduced by McDonald's in the early 2000s. It includes the company's larger chicken sandwiches, its salad line, and its coffee products. The sandwiches are targeted at various demographic markets, the grilled chicken sandwiches and salads are targeted at both the female and health-conscious demographic markets. The entire line is intended to bring in a larger, more affluent, adult audience seeking better quality products.
McDonald's line of larger chicken sandwiches (The Classic, Club and Ranch BLT) were introduced in July 2005 as part of McDonald's menu revamp.
The classic includes Lettuce, Tomato, and Mayo. The Club also has Lettuce Tomato and Mayo, but also comes with Swiss cheese and bacon. The ranch BLT comes with a creamy ranch sauce, Bacon, Lettuce and Tomato.
All three can be chosen with either crispy or grilled chicken and all are served on a honey wheat roll.
A Spicy Chicken sandwich, with chipotle spices in the breading, was part of the premium line for a limited time in 2006. It was made the same way as a Classic, but with ranch instead of mayo. The spicy Chicken was brought back temporarily in late 2008, but it was not part of the premium line.
The Premium product line in the United States, Canada, and the United Kingdom includes McDonald's salad products. First introduced in March 2003, the salads all are a mixture of iceberg lettuce and a lettuce assortment (romaine, etc.), with cherry tomatoes and different toppings to differentiate them; Each salad is sold plain or topped with either a grilled or crispy chicken patty which has been chopped and added to the salad just prior to selling. The line includes varieties of Newman's Own salad dressing that are tailored for each type of salad. The line includes:
- Southwest Salad - chili-lime flavored tortilla strips, black beans, roasted tomatoes, poblano peppers, and fire-roasted corn, a lime wedge and a cilantro-lime glaze for the chicken served with a "southwest" dressing;
- Bacon Ranch Salad - bacon bits, Cheddar cheese and Monterey Jack cheese served with ranch dressing;
- Grilled Chicken Caesar Salad - chicken breast, Cheddar cheese, and Monterey Jack cheese served with a creamy caesar dressing.
- Fruit & Walnut Salad - candied walnuts, low-fat yogurt, and red and green apple slices with grape fruit.
- Fiesta Salad - warm seasoned beef, cheddar jack cheese, and crispy tortilla strips served with all natural chunky salsa.
- The Asian Salad - mandarin oranges, red peppers, edamame, snow peas, and an orange glaze for the chicken served with low fat sesame ginger dressing.
The advertising for its chicken strips product has been modified so that the word Premium appears in its description in its print, online and broadcast media. The word is capitalized, which indicates its association with the line.
McDonald's no long offers chicken selects.
In the United States McDonald's has upgraded its coffee line. In the Northeastern States coffee is sold under the Newman's Own brand. In 2007 McDonald's expanded the Premium coffee line to include flavored iced coffee. In 2008–2009 it was expanded once more to lattes, cappuccinos and mochas in the North American market.
The Premium coffee line is designed to compete in the high end coffee segment created by Peet's Coffee, specifically the international chains Starbucks and Dunkin' Donuts and is advertised under the McCafe brand.
- Melanie Warner (2006-04-19). "Salads or No, Cheap Burgers Revive McDonald's". the New York Times. Retrieved 2008-07-26. "...McDonald's has persuaded millions of mostly female customers to buy its healthier, higher-priced salads."
- Sherrie Day; Stuart Elliot (2003-04-08). "At McDonald's, an Effort to Restore Lost Luster". the New York Times. Retrieved 2008-07-16. "New products, like McDonald's premium salads topped with hot chicken and Newman's Own salad dressing, will play a big role in efforts to attract consumers who are have special concerns about health issues in their diet."
- McDonald's press release (2005-09-17). "McDonald's Increases Chicken Portfolio with New Premium Chicken Sandwiches". McDonald's Corporation. Retrieved 2008-07-16. "'We wanted to create something that reflects consumers’ changing tastes, met their lifestyle needs, and was premium quality,' said [Executive Chef Dan Coudreaut"
- According to the option listing at the McDonald's Website.
- McDonald's publication (2007-01-02). "McDonald's nutrition information" (PDF). McDonald's Corporation. Retrieved 2008-02-29.
- McDonald's publication (2007-09-12). "Coffee nutrition information" (PDF). McDonald's Corporation. Retrieved 2008-02-29.
- Nutrition Info, Nutrition.McDonalds.com