|City of McFarland|
|Kern County and the state of California|
|Incorporated||July 18, 1957|
|• State Senator||Tom Berryhill (R)|
|• State Assembly||Rudy Salas (D)|
|• U. S. Congress||David Valadao (R)|
|• Total||2.668 sq mi (6.910 km2)|
|• Land||2.668 sq mi (6.910 km2)|
|• Water||0 sq mi (0 km2) 0%|
|Elevation||354 ft (108 m)|
|• Density||4,800/sq mi (1,900/km2)|
|Time zone||PST (UTC-8)|
|• Summer (DST)||PDT (UTC-7)|
|GNIS feature IDs||1652750, 2411062|
McFarland (formerly, Hunt and Lone Pine) is a city in the San Joaquin Valley, in Kern County, California, United States. McFarland is located 6.5 miles (10 km) south of Delano, at an elevation of 354 feet (108 m). The population was 12,890 at the 2011 census, up from 9,618 at the 2000 census.
The 2010 United States Census reported that McFarland had a population of 12,707. The population density was 4,762.7 people per square mile (1,838.9/km²). The racial makeup of McFarland was 5,433 (42.8%) White, 236 (1.9%) African American, 171 (1.3%) Native American, 84 (0.7%) Asian, 6 (0.0%) Pacific Islander, 6,330 (49.8%) from other races, and 447 (3.5%) from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 11,625 persons (91.5%).
The Census reported that 11,486 people (90.4% of the population) lived in households, 27 (0.2%) lived in non-institutionalized group quarters, and 1,194 (9.4%) were institutionalized.
There were 2,599 households, out of which 1,818 (69.9%) had children under the age of 18 living in them, 1,663 (64.0%) were opposite-sex married couples living together, 456 (17.5%) had a female householder with no husband present, 246 (9.5%) had a male householder with no wife present. There were 189 (7.3%) unmarried opposite-sex partnerships, and 14 (0.5%) same-sex married couples or partnerships. 170 households (6.5%) were made up of individuals and 71 (2.7%) had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 4.42. There were 2,365 families (91.0% of all households); the average family size was 4.51.
The population was spread out with 4,468 people (35.2%) under the age of 18, 1,700 people (13.4%) aged 18 to 24, 4,030 people (31.7%) aged 25 to 44, 1,925 people (15.1%) aged 45 to 64, and 584 people (4.6%) who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 25.7 years. For every 100 females there were 128.3 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 142.4 males.
There were 2,683 housing units at an average density of 1,005.6 per square mile (388.3/km²), of which 1,488 (57.3%) were owner-occupied, and 1,111 (42.7%) were occupied by renters. The homeowner vacancy rate was 0.9%; the rental vacancy rate was 2.6%. 6,519 people (51.3% of the population) lived in owner-occupied housing units and 4,967 people (39.1%) lived in rental housing units.
- Hispanic (95.7%)
- Other race (4.3%)
- White Non-Hispanic (3.2%)
- Two or more races (4.7%)
- Black (3.3%)
(Total can be greater than 100% because Hispanics could be counted in other races)
As of the census of 2000, there were 9,618 people, 1,990 households, and 1,789 families residing in the city. The population density was 4,671.8 people per square mile (1,802.7/km²). There were 2,031 housing units at an average density of 986.5 per square mile (380.7/km²). The racial makeup of the city was 28.49% White, 3.19% Black or African American, 1.63% Native American, 0.69% Asian, 0.08% Pacific Islander, 61.23% from other races, and 4.69% from two or more races. 85.66% of the population were Hispanic or Latino of any race.
There were 1,990 households out of which 61.7% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 64.4% were married couples living together, 17.3% had a female householder with no husband present, and 10.1% were non-families. 7.7% of all households were made up of individuals and 4.7% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 4.30 and the average family size was 4.45.
In the city the population was spread out with 35.1% under the age of 18, 14.1% from 18 to 24, 33.1% from 25 to 44, 12.8% from 45 to 64, and 4.8% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 25 years. For every 100 females there were 132.2 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 151.5 males.
The median income for a household in the city was $12,821, and the median income for a family was $14,190. Males had a median income of $19,881 versus $9,109 for females. The per capita income for the city was $9,524. About 34.1% of families and 35.2% of the population were below the poverty line, including 41.1% of those under age 18 and 12.1% of those age 65 or over.
- Jackson Branch Kern County Library
- McFarland City Hall
- Maria's Pizza
- Palace Market
- Country Burgers
- Saint Elizabeth Catholic Church
- El Buen Pastor Church
- Iglesia Ni Cristo
- Jehovah's Witnesses
- Church of the Living Savior
AM radio stations
- KERI (1180 AM; 50 kW; WASCO-GREENACRES, CA; Owner: KWSO, INC.)
- KCHJ (1010 AM; 5 kW; DELANO, CA; Owner: ILLINOIS LOTUS CORP.)
- KNZR (1560 AM; 25 kW; BAKERSFIELD, CA; Owner: BUCKLEY BROADCASTING CORP. OF CALIF.)
- KMJ (580 AM; 50 kW; FRESNO, CA; Owner: INFINITY RADIO OPERATIONS INC.)
- KWRU (940 AM; 50 kW; FRESNO, CA)
- KUZZ (550 AM; 5 kW; BAKERSFIELD, CA; Owner: OWENS ONE COMPANY)
- KGET (970 AM; 5 kW; BAKERSFIELD, CA; Owner: CLEVELAND RADIO LICENSES, LLC)
- KGDP (660 AM; 50 kW; ORCUTT, CA; Owner: RADIO REPRESENTATIVES, INC.)
- KAFY (1100 AM; 4 kW; BAKERSFIELD, CA; Owner: KAFY, INC.)
- KIRN (670 AM; 35 kW; SIMI VALLEY, CA; Owner: LOTUS OXNARD CORP.)
- KSPN (710 AM; 50 kW; LOS ANGELES, CA; Owner: KABC-AM RADIO, INC.)
- KLAC (570 AM; 50 kW; LOS ANGELES, CA; Owner: AMFM RADIO LICENSES, L.L.C.)
- KMAP (1050 AM; 10 kW; FRAZIER PARK, CA; Owner: KMAP, INC.)
FM radio stations
- K266AH (101.1 FM; BENA, CA; Owner: CALVARY CHAPEL OF TWIN FALLS, INC.)
- KTQX (90.1 FM; BAKERSFIELD, CA; Owner: RADIO BILINGUE, INC.)
- KZPO (103.3 FM; LINDSAY, CA; Owner: LINDSAY BROADCASTING)
- KMQA (100.5 FM; EAST PORTERVILLE, CA; Owner: MOON BROADCASTING PORTERVILLE L.L.C.)
- KKBB (99.3 FM; BAKERSFIELD, CA; Owner: BUCKLEY COMMUNICATIONS, INC.)
- KDUV (88.9 FM; VISALIA, CA; Owner: COMMUNITY EDUCATIONAL B/CASTNG, INC.)
- KDFO-FM (98.5 FM; DELANO, CA; Owner: CLEAR CHANNEL BROADCASTING LICENSES, INC.)
- KKDJ (105.3 FM; DELANO, CA; Owner: CLEAR CHANNEL BROADCASTING LICENSES, INC.)
- K293AG (106.5 FM; TAFT, CA; Owner: CENTRO CRISTIANO DE FE, INC.)
- KJUG-FM (106.7 FM; TULARE, CA; Owner: WESTCOAST BROADCASTING, INC.)
- K220EY (91.9 FM; PORTERVILLE, CA; Owner: FAMILY STATIONS, INC.)
- KIWI (102.9 FM; MCFARLAND, CA; Owner: ILLINOIS LOTUS CORP.)
- KUFW (90.5 FM; WOODLAKE, CA; Owner: NATIONAL FARM WORKERS SERVICE CENTER)
- KMYX-FM (92.5 FM; ARVIN, CA; Owner: FARMWORKER EDUC. RADIO NETWORK, INC.)
- KGZO (90.9 FM; SHAFTER, CA; Owner: THE ASSOCIATION FOR COMMUNITY EDUCATION, INC.)
- KFRB (91.3 FM; BAKERSFIELD, CA; Owner: FAMILY STATIONS, INC.)
- KUZZ-FM (107.9 FM; BAKERSFIELD, CA; Owner: OWENS ONE COMPANY, INC)
- KISV (94.1 FM; BAKERSFIELD, CA; Owner: AMERICAN GENERAL MEDIA CORP.)
- KGFM (101.5 FM; BAKERSFIELD, CA; Owner: LAGNIAPPE BROADCASTING, INC.)
- KSMJ (97.7 FM; SHAFTER, CA; Owner: BUCKLEY BROADCASTING CORPORATION OF CALIFORNIA)
TV broadcast stations
- KTRO-LP (Channel 50; LANCASTER, CA; Owner: ROBERT D. ADELMAN)
- KPMC-LP (Channel 42; BAKERSFIELD, CA; Owner: GARY M. COCOLA FAMILY TRUST)
- "California Cities by Incorporation Date" (Word). California Association of Local Agency Formation Commissions. Retrieved April 12, 2013.
- "Senators". State of California. Retrieved April 12, 2013.
- "Members Assembly". State of California. Retrieved April 12, 2013.
- "California's 21st Congressional District - Representatives & District Map". Civic Impulse, LLC. Retrieved April 12, 2013.
- U.S. Census
- "McFarland". Geographic Names Information System, U.S. Geological Survey.
- Durham, David L. (1998). California's Geographic Names: A Gazetteer of Historic and Modern Names of the State. Quill Driver Books. p. 1069-1070. ISBN 9781884995149.
- E-1 Population Estimates for Cities, Counties and the State. California Department of Finance. January 1, 2011 and 2012. Accessed: 05-03-2012.
- Population Totals by Township and Place for California Counties: 1860 to 1950. California Department of Finance. Accessed: 03-12-2012.
- Historical Census Populations of Counties and Incorporated Cities in California, 1850–2010. California Department of Finance. Accessed: 03-12-2012.
- All data are derived from the United States Census Bureau reports from the 2010 United States Census, and are accessible on-line here. The data on unmarried partnerships and same-sex married couples are from the Census report DEC_10_SF1_PCT15. All other housing and population data are from Census report DEC_10_DP_DPDP1. Both reports are viewable online or downloadable in a zip file containing a comma-delimited data file. The area data, from which densities are calculated, are available on-line here. Percentage totals may not add to 100% due to rounding. The Census Bureau defines families as a household containing one or more people related to the householder by birth, opposite-sex marriage, or adoption. People living in group quarters are tabulated by the Census Bureau as neither owners nor renters. For further details, see the text files accompanying the data files containing the Census reports mentioned above.
- "City-data - McFarland-California". analyzed data from numerous sources. Retrieved 2009-03-17.
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2008-01-31.