McGehee School District
|McGehee School District|
|Type and location|
|Location||409 Oak Street
McGehee, Arkansas 71654
|NCES District ID||0509630|
|Students and staff|
|Teachers||98.14 (on FTE basis)|
|Staff||211.14 (on FTE basis)|
|Athletic conference||3A Region 6 (Football)
3A Region 8 (Basketball)
McGehee School District is a public school district headquartered in McGehee, Arkansas. The school district encompasses 499.14 square miles (1,292.8 km2) of land in Drew and Desha counties and includes all or portions of McGehee, Arkansas City, Reed, Tillar, Watson, Rohwer, Rosedale, and Reed.
In 2004 the Arkansas Legislature approved a law that forced school districts with fewer than 350 students to consolidate with other districts. On July 1, 2004, the Arkansas City School District and the Delta Special School District were merged into the McGehee district.
In 2011 an 18-year old African-American student named Kymberly Wimberly sued the district, saying that it was trying to force her to share valedictorian status with a White student even though the student had inferior grades.
The schools are McGehee Elementary School (prekindergarten through grade 6),McGehee Jr. High School (grades 7 through 8)and Mcgehee high school [grades 9 through 12]. Both schools and the district are accredited by the Arkansas Department of Education (ADE) and AdvancED.
Previously the middle school division was called Conner Junior High School. After the acquisition of the Delta Special School District, the McGehee district continued to operate Delta Elementary School and Delta High School. After the acquisition of the Arkansas City School District, it operated the Arkansas City campus as a K-6 school. By October 2005 the district no longer operated the Arkansas City facility, and the Delta campus became elementary only. The Delta campus housed the district's Alternative Learning Environment (ALE) program. By October 2006 the Delta campus was no longer in operation.
- "Search for Public School Districts – District Detail for Mcgehee School District". National Center for Education Statistics. Institute of Education Sciences. Retrieved 7 January 2013.
- "Home." McGehee School District. Retrieved on July 27, 2011. "409 Oak Street/P. O. Box 767 McGehee, Arkansas 71654 USA"
- "SCHOOL DISTRICT REFERENCE MAP (2010 CENSUS): Drew County, AR." (Archive) U.S. Census Bureau. Retrieved on April 1, 2013.
- "SCHOOL DISTRICT REFERENCE MAP (2010 CENSUS): Desha County, AR." (Archive) U.S. Census Bureau. Retrieved on April 1, 2013.
- "Consolidation/Annexations of LEA's (1983-2010)." (Archive) Arkansas Department of Education. Retrieved on March 6, 2011.
- "Dumas inherits Gould district’s deficit." Arkansas News. May 11, 2005. Retrieved on March 7, 2011.
- "The MHS Alumni Café." McGehee School District. Retrieved on July 27, 2011. "FYI... The Delta Special (Desha Central) and Arkansas City School Districts Consolidated with the McGehee School District as a result of a state mandate in 2004-2005."
- Elkin, Ali. "Valedictorian sues school: Was she snubbed because of race?" CNN. July 26, 2011. Retrieved on July 27, 2011.
- "Campuses." McGehee School District. August 28, 2004. Retrieved on July 28, 2011.
- "Campuses." McGehee School District. October 18, 2005. Retrieved on July 28, 2011.
- "Technology Plan Submission Form School Years 2006-2009." McGehee School District. 2 of 43. Retrieved on July 28, 2011.
- Campuses." McGehee School District. October 15, 2006. Retrieved on July 28, 2011.