McGeorge School of Law
|University of the Pacific,
McGeorge School of Law
|Parent school||University of the Pacific|
|Dean||Francis J. Mootz III|
|Location||Sacramento, California, US|
|Enrollment||908 (Full- and part-time)|
|Faculty||52 (Full-time) 70 (Adjunct)|
|USNWR ranking||101 (Full-time), 23 (Part-time)|
|Bar pass rate||80% (2011 ABA Profile)|
|ABA profile||McGeorge School of Law|
University of the Pacific, McGeorge School of Law is a private, American Bar Association (ABA) approved law school in the Oak Park neighborhood of the city of Sacramento, California. It is part of the University of the Pacific.
Originally founded in 1924, the school merged with and became part of the University of the Pacific in 1966. The current dean of McGeorge School of Law is Francis J. Mootz III, formerly the William S. Boyd Professor of Law and associate dean for academic affairs and faculty development at the William S. Boyd School of Law at the University of Nevada, Las Vegas. Former CIA General Counsel Elizabeth Rindskopf Parker  stepped down on June 1, 2012, after 10 years as dean of McGeorge School of Law.
The school that eventually became McGeorge began in 1921 when Stanford Law School graduate and Standard Oil executive Verne Adrian McGeorge began teaching law students at night in downtown Sacramento, California. After its formal establishment as a school in 1924, this Sacramento Law School, subsequently renamed in Professor McGeorge's honor as the "McGeorge School of Law," merged with the University of the Pacific in 1966 and came to be known as "Pacific McGeorge."  McGeorge became an integral part of the University of the Pacific in 1991.
Accreditation, memberships, rankings 
McGeorge has been fully approved by the American Bar Association (ABA) since 1969. As a result of its ABA accreditation, McGeorge is also approved by the Committee of Bar Examiners of The State Bar of California.
The first year curriculum at McGeorge consists of 27 units. McGeorge law students must also complete 29 units of upper-level required curriculum. Therefore, 56 units out of the 88 units to graduate are required courses. All students take the same required courses. Most required courses in the first and second years are year-long.
McGeorge joined the Association of American Law Schools (AALS) in 1974. It has a chapter of the Order of the Coif, a national law school honorary society founded for the purposes of encouraging legal scholarship and advancing the ethical standards of the legal profession.
According the law professor blog The Faculty Lounge, 41.5% of the Class of 2012 was employed in full-time, long-term positions requiring bar admission, ranking 168th out of 197 law schools. 
In 2012, several of McGeorge's specialty programs were again ranked among the nation’s best. In particular, the Legal Writing program received a #13 national ranking and the International Law program received a #17 national ranking in the annual guide to "America's Best Graduate Schools" published by U.S. News & World Report. McGeorge was ranked as #101 overall. The part-time evening program at McGeorge was ranked as #23 in the nation, and the school received national recognition for student diversity where it is now ranked #40.
McGeorge is listed as "B-" in the January 2011 "Best Public Interest Law Schools" ratings by The National Jurist: The Magazine for Law Students.
Academic programs 
McGeorge offers both a three-year day division program and four-year evening division program. As an ABA approved law school, McGeorge graduates are eligible to sit for the bar examination in any American jurisdiction.
Areas of specialization 
In addition to completing requirements for the J.D. Juris Doctor degree, McGeorge students who wish to add additional value to their legal education may elect to complete additional requirements for a specialization or concentration certificate in the following areas of law:
- Trial Advocacy
- Criminal Justice
- Environmental Law
- Governmental Affairs
- Intellectual Property
- International Law
- Transnational Business
- Water Law
LL.M. programs 
- LL.M. in Experiential Law Teaching
- LL.M. in Transnational Business
- LL.M. in U.S. Law & Policy (with a Public Policy track)
- LL.M. in Water Law (with an International track)
The school offers a J.S.D. degree program in International Water Law.
The school has a specialized program to train Chinese Law Professors (Experiential Education in China) funded by a USAID Grant.
Bar passage rates 
In 2009, graduates of the full-time program had an 85.5% pass rate.
The McGeorge campus is located at 3200 Fifth Avenue in the Oak Park area of Sacramento, the capital of California. The stand-alone, law-only campus sits on 13 acres (53,000 m2) in a suburban area minutes from downtown Sacramento.
McGeorge is the only law school approved by the American Bar Association in Sacramento County. Situated at 38°55'N latitude, McGeorge is the northernmost ABA-approved law school in the State of California.
Journals and publications 
Faculty-edited publications 
- Journal of National Security Law & Policy Focused on war and terrorism, international relations, democracy, and civil liberties issues.
Law journals and student publications 
- McGeorge Law Review (formerly titled The Pacific Law Journal) A student-run, scholarly journal publishing four issues annually. Two issues are published each year containing professional articles and student-authored comments or casenotes; one issue contains the Review of Selected California Legislation, or "Greensheets"; and one issue contains a symposium, focusing on a specific, significant legal topic.
- Pacific McGeorge Global Business & Development Law Journal (formerly titled The Transnational Lawyer) Published by law students, articles center on legal analysis and commentary about issues affecting private international law practitioners
- California Initiative Review An online comprehensive, independent analysis of California ballot initiatives and related issues
Noted people 
Notable alumni 
- Greg Aghazarian – California State Assemblyman, 26th District
- Ronald J. Bath – USAF, Director of U.S. Air Force Strategic Planning
- Scott Baugh – former California State Assembly Republican Leader, 67th District
- Scott Boras – sports agent
- Consuelo María Callahan – Judge, United States Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit
- Lloyd Connelly – Judge, Sacramento County Superior Court
- Ellen Corbett – California State Senator, 10th District
- John Doolittle – US Congressman 1991-2009
- Morrison C. England Jr. – Judge, United States District Court for the Eastern District of California
- Noreen Evans – California State Assemblywoman, 7th District
- Edward J. Garcia – Judge, United States District Court for the Eastern District of California
- John M. Gerrard – Justice of the Nebraska Supreme Court
- Bill Lockyer – California State Treasurer and former California Attorney General
- Steve Martini – attorney and best-selling author of legal thriller novels
- Deborah Ortiz – former California State Senator, 6th District
- Johnnie B. Rawlinson – Judge, United States Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit
- Ronald B. Robie – Associate Justice, Third District California Court of Appeal
- Dana Makoto Sabraw – Judge, United States District Court for the Southern District of California
- Christian Wellisch – Former mixed martial arts (MMA) fighter
Notable faculty 
- Gerald Caplan, former dean of Pacific McGeorge from 1991–2000 and current contracts professor.
- Omar Dajani, former legal advisor to the Palestinian negotiation team in peace talks with Israel.
- Anthony Kennedy, an Associate Justice of the Supreme Court of the United States.
- J. Clark Kelso, former Insurance Commissioner and Chief Information Officer of California
- "U.S. News & World Report, "Best Law Schools: University of the Pacific (McGeorge)"". Retrieved April 14, 2011.
- History of McGeorge School of Law
- "ABA-Approved Law Schools by Year". ABA website. Retrieved April 20, 2011.
- "First-Year Required Curriculum". Retrieved 18 August 2011.
- "Upper-level Required Curriculum". Retrieved 18 August 2011.
- "Degree Requirements". Retrieved 18 August 2011.
- "McGeorge School of Law". Retrieved 18 August 2011.
- AALS Member Schools
- Order of the Coif member schools
- Rosin, Gary. "Full Rankings: Bar Admission Required, Full-Time, Long Term", The Faculty Lounge, 30 March 2013. Retrieved on 2 May 2013.
- Weyenberg, Michelle (January 2011), "Best Law Schools for Public Interest", The National Jurist (San Diego, California: Cypress Magazines) 20 (4): 24–28
- 2009 Bar Pass Rates
- McGeorge campus map and directions
- "CalBar list of law schools". State Bar of California. Retrieved September 27, 2012.
- California Courts: Ronald Boyd Robie, Associate Justice
- California State Bar Membership Records