McGrath State Beach
McGrath State Beach is a protected beach park located in the city of Oxnard, California. It is located five miles south of Ventura on Harbor Boulevard. The beach is located along the Pacific Coast Bicycle Route and the California Coastal Trail.
McGrath State Beach is one of the best bird-watching areas in California, with the lush riverbanks of the Santa Clara River and sand dunes along the shore. A nature trail leads to the Santa Clara Estuary Natural Preserve. Two miles of beach provide surfing and fishing opportunities. Camping sites are available.
The beach is adjacent to the Mandalay Generating Station – the stack is easily visible from the beach – and overlies the productive West Montalvo Oil Field. The oil wells in an enclosure just behind the beach are operated by Venoco, Inc., and slant-drill into the offshore part of the field. The generating station is owned by Reliant Energy. Just south of the station is the undeveloped Mandalay Beach Park which is about a mile downcoast from the park.
Although the park often closes in winter, lack of funding to repair the infrastructure, specifically a rusting sewage pipe, closed the park in 2011 until repairs could be made. After a being open weekends for a couple of months in the fall of 2013, McGrath State Beach again closed indefinitely. The beach remains open but access is limited to walking from an adjacent area. Surfers Knoll Park on the beach on the north side of Ventura Harbor can be used to access by walking south across the sand bar at the mouth of Santa Clara River.
- Google Inc. Google Maps – McGrath State Beach (Map). Cartography by Google, Inc. http://maps.google.com/maps?q=34.225,-119.258333&ie=UTF8&ll=34.225855,-119.257965&spn=0.102193,0.264187&z=13. Retrieved 2010-07-18.
- Coastwalk. "California Coastal Trail Section Data". Retrieved 2010-07-18.
- "McGrath State Beach - Site # 134" California Watchable Wildlife. Retrieved 5 November 2013
- U.S. Geological Survey. "Feature Detail Report for: Santa Clara Estuary Natural Preserve" Geographic Names Information System. Retrieved 5 November 2013
- Reliant Energy Retail Holdings, LLC (2010). "Reliant Energy - Electric Power Generation within the United States". Retrieved 2010-07-18.[dead link]
- "McGrath Beach Trail" California State Parks. Retrieved 5 November 2013
- Zach Behrens (31 October 2013) "McGrath State Beach Campground Closed Indefinitely" KCET blog:Living: Travel: SoCal Wanderer: State Park. Retrieved 31 October 2013
|This California location article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|