McGrath State Beach
McGrath State Beach is a protected beach park located on the south bank of the mouth of Santa Clara River in the city of Oxnard, California. Located south of Ventura on Harbor Boulevard, the beach is on the Pacific Coast Bicycle Route and the California Coastal Trail.
McGrath State Beach is one of the best bird-watching areas in California, with the lush riverbanks of the Santa Clara River and sand dunes along the shore. A nature trail leads to the Santa Clara Estuary Natural Preserve. Two miles of beach provide surfing and fishing opportunities. Camping sites are available.
The park overlies the productive West Montalvo Oil Field and oil wells are in an enclosure just behind the beach that are operated by Venoco, Inc., and slant-drill into the offshore part of the field. A bit farther downcoast is the Mandalay Generating Station – the stack is easily visible from the beach – owned by Reliant Energy. Just south of the station is the undeveloped Mandalay Beach Park which is about a mile downcoast beach walk or bike ride (Harbor Blvd.) from the park.
Although the park often closes in winter, lack of funding to repair the infrastructure, specifically a rusting sewage pipe, closed the park in 2011 until repairs could be made. Flooding has been a continuing problem. The water level in the estuary rises when the winter rains fail to breach the sand bar at the mouth of the river. When campgrounds and necessary facilities flood, the park closes until conditions changes. The beach and McGrath Lake are available during the closures but access is limited to walking from an adjacent area. Surfers Knoll Park on the beach on the north side of Ventura Harbor can be used to access by walking south across the sand bar at the mouth of Santa Clara River.
- U.S. Geological Survey Geographic Names Information System: McGrath State Beach
- Coastwalk. "California Coastal Trail Section Data". Retrieved 2010-07-18.
- "McGrath State Beach - Site # 134" California Watchable Wildlife. Retrieved 5 November 2013
- U.S. Geological Survey Geographic Names Information System: Santa Clara Estuary Natural Preserve
- "Record of Survey: McGrath Beach State Park." 26 RS 85. Ventura County Recorder 15 February 1963. Retrieved January 27, 2014 from CountyView GIS.
- Reliant Energy Retail Holdings, LLC (2010). "Reliant Energy - Electric Power Generation within the United States". Retrieved 2010-07-18.[dead link]
- Carlson, Cheri (September 11, 2014) "Agencies continue talks to find solution for flooding at McGrath campground" Ventura County Star
- "McGrath Beach Trail" California State Parks. Retrieved 5 November 2013
- Coastwalk "Surfers Knoll" California Coastal Trail.info 2003. Retrieved 28 December 2013
- Zach Behrens (31 October 2013) "McGrath State Beach Campground Closed Indefinitely" KCET blog:Living: Travel: SoCal Wanderer: State Park. Retrieved 31 October 2013