McLean School of Maryland
|8224 Lochinver Lane
Potomac, MD, USA
|Type||Private Preparatory School|
|Head of School||Mike Saxenian|
|Enrollment||350 (grades K-12)|
|Average class size||10|
|Student to teacher ratio||6:1|
|Campus||Suburban, 9 acres|
|Color(s)||Blue and White|
|Athletics||11 interscholastic sports
25 interscholastic teams
|Athletics conference||Potomac Valley Athletic Conference|
|Tuition||$25,000/Year (Kindergarten) $30,440/Year (Lower School) $33,160/Year (Middle School) $35,615/Year (Upper School)|
McLean School (formerly the McLean School of Maryland) is a K-12 co-educational, college preparatory school supporting bright students' individual learning styles in Potomac, Maryland. McLean School has for sixty years been helping students realize their full potential by providing a comprehensive college preparatory program that emphasizes small classes, differentiated instruction, and individualized program enhancement. We embrace both traditional learners and ones with mild to moderate learning differences. Many of our students excel in some areas while benefiting from support in others.
Lenore and Delbert Foster established and headed McLean School in 1954.
After the Fosters retired in 1978, a group of parents, faculty and staff formed a non-profit corporation for McLean School and relocated to the present Lochinver Lane campus in Potomac, Maryland.
McLean School of Maryland is situated 12 miles (19 km) northwest of Washington, DC, in Potomac, Maryland. McLean's 9 acres (36,000 m2) along a residential side street are surrounded by homes and townhouses.
The main structure of 47,000 square feet (4,400 m2) was built in the early 1970s as a Montgomery County elementary school. McLean took possession in 1978, and in the 1990s completed a 10,800-square-foot (1,000 m2) gymnasium. In 2000 McLean renovated the building, adding classrooms to the Middle School and building a new three-story wing to house the Upper School. McLean School's campus today includes:
- Two fields for soccer, softball, and lacrosse.
- A playground and equipment for children.
- 60+ classrooms (with computer access) that house around 10 students each.
- Three computer labs.
- A lounge for high-school students.
The school's website describes their academic philosophy thus:
Our flexible programs utilize the multiple learning modalities that help all students progress to new levels of achievement. Our small classes allow teachers to offer individual attention and support to every child. Our broad curriculum develops self-confidence and learning through the arts, physical education, and computer technology as well as the essential academics. Our students and faculty share a nurturing community that values and cultivates different types of intelligence. Our graduates leave well-prepared for the challenges and excitement which await them in college and beyond.
Students in Upper School are required to carry a course load of six year-long academic classes (English, literature, foreign language, history, mathematics, and science). They must take physical education (or an independent physical education contract) for 2 years, and select courses in art, music, computer, and other electives to complete graduation requirements.
McLean is accredited by the Maryland Department of Education. It is a member of the National Association of Independent Schools, the Association of Independent Schools of Greater Washington, the Association of Independent Maryland Schools, the Secondary School Admission Test Board, and The Black Student Fund.
The McLean School hosts SummerEdge, a program which offers full-day and half-day sessions for pre-kindergarten through grade 12 in which students work on their reading, writing, math, science and beyond. There are also other non-academic camp offerings for fun.
- "All It Takes Is the Right Formula". McLean School. Retrieved 2013-03-14.
- "Admission". McLean School. Retrieved 2013-03-14.
- "Course Load". McLean School. Retrieved 2013-03-14.
- "Athletics". McLean School. Retrieved 2013-03-14.
- Nelson, Louis (2013-02-24). "Donte Hobbs’s energy lifts McLean School to PVAC boys’ basketball championship". Washington Post. Retrieved 2013-03-14.
- "McLean wins PVAC championship". Gazette. Retrieved 2013-03-14.
- "Maryland State Department of Education Nonpublic Schools". Msde.state.md.us. Retrieved 2012-03-16.
- "Membership Directory". Nais.org. Retrieved 2012-03-16.
- "Access Denied | Independent Education". Aisgw.org. Retrieved 2012-03-16.
- "Association of Independent Maryland & DC Schools". Aimsmd.org. Retrieved 2012-03-16.
- "Finding a School". SSAT. Retrieved 2012-03-16.
- "Black Student Fund". Black Student Fund. Retrieved 2012-03-16.
- "SummerEdge". McLean School of Maryland. Retrieved 2013-03-14.