Location within La Vallée-du-Richelieu RCM.
|Coordinates: Coordinates: |
|Constituted||July 31, 1917|
|• Mayor||Gilles Plante|
|• Federal riding||Chambly—Borduas|
|• Prov. riding||Borduas|
|• Total||3.40 km2 (1.31 sq mi)|
|• Land||3.10 km2 (1.20 sq mi)|
|• Density||1,810.3/km2 (4,689/sq mi)|
|• Pop 2006-2011||7.3%|
|Time zone||EST (UTC−5)|
|• Summer (DST)||EDT (UTC−4)|
|Postal code(s)||J3G 6N9|
|Area code(s)||450 and 579|
|Highways|| Route 116
McMasterville is a municipality in southwestern Quebec, Canada on the Richelieu River in La Vallée-du-Richelieu Regional County Municipality. The population as of the Canada 2011 Census was 5,615. It is within the Administrative Region of Montérégie.
The town was founded in 1917 to house workers of the Canadian Explosives Limited. The town is named after the first chairman of that company, William McMaster.
McMasterville is located along the Richelieu river, on the shore facing Mont St-Hilaire and Otterburn Park.
Mother tongue language (2006)
The town is host to the École d'éducation internationale which offers secondary level education where students can follow the International Baccalaureate Middle Years Programme as defined by the IBO.
McMasterville is served by the McMasterville commuter rail station on the Agence métropolitaine de transport's Mont-Saint-Hilaire Line. Local bus service is provided by the CIT de la Vallée du Richelieu.
- Reference number 293915 of the Commission de toponymie du Québec (French)
- Ministère des Affaires municipales, des Régions et de l'Occupation du territoire: McMasterville
- Parliament of Canada Federal Riding History: CHAMBLY--BORDUAS (Quebec)
- 2011 Statistics Canada Census Profile: McMasterville, Quebec
- Statistics Canada: 1996, 2001, 2006, 2011 census
- 2006 Statistics Canada Community Profile: McMasterville, Quebec