||This article may require cleanup to meet Wikipedia's quality standards. (February 2010)|
|Gold||2003 Paris||4x400 m relay|
|Gold||2005 Helsinki||4x100 m relay|
|World Indoor Championships|
|Gold||2006 Moscow||60 metres|
Me'lisa Barber born to parents Ronald in Cheryl Barber in Montclair, N.J. won her first major international championships gold medal by running the lead leg on Team USA’s winning 4x400 relay in 2003 with teammates Demetria Washington, Sanya Richards and the notable Jearl Miles-Clark World Outdoor Championships in Paris. In 2005 she was the U.S outdoor 100m dash champion and the 4x100 relay Gold medalist in the World Championships, making her one the only athletes to win gold medals in back to back World Championships in the 4x100 and 4x400 meter relays. Barber then became the indoor World Champion in the 60m dash in Russia running a blazing time of 7.01 which is 4th fastest time ever ran in the world.
She ran on the 2001 Team USA World University Games gold medal winning 4x400 m relay team with University of South Carolina teammates Demetria Washington, Carolyn Jackson and her twin sister Miki Barber.
She ran the opening leg in teaming with her sister Miki to set a school record of 3:33.14 at the University of South Carolina competition. Barber finished as the runners-up at the NCAA Outdoor Championships. She was named second team all-state in the 55 m in 1998 and first team all-state in the 100 m and 200 m outdoors in the same year.
Barber won her heat of the 100 meters at the 1999 USA Junior Championships, but did not make the finals.
Barber grew up in Montclair, New Jersey., and her 4x100 m and 4x400 m high school relays at Montclair High School were both honored as All-American. As a senior she was ranked 3rd on the Track & Field News list in the 100 meters. Barber was 4th on the 200 m list.
At the 2005 World Championships in Athletics she was 5th with 11.09 sec in the 100 m finals. The winner was compatriot Lauryn Williams. Also, she and her teammates, Angela Daigle, Muna Lee and Lauryn Williams, lived up to their favourites tag with an easy victory in the 4x100 m final sprint relay. They took gold in 41.78sec - the fastest time in the world that year.
Barber has been featured in magazine articles along with her twin Miki Barber in stories in USA Today, Track and Field News, Sports Illustrated Oxygen Sports, Fearless Magazine. Discussing the importance of education to young adults, giving them motivational tips on how to balance sports and academics.
Her nickname is Lisa. Barber majored in Retail Management and with a minor in Business at University of South Carolina. Hobbies include poetry, art, reading and . Barber's favorite athlete is Michael Jordan. She lives Tarzana, California.
- Height: 5 foot 4 inches (1.60 m)
- Weight: 125 pounds (56 kilograms)
- 100 Meters 10.95 (2007)
- 200 Meters 22.37
- 300 Meters 37.54
- 400 Meters 50.87
- 2009 60m indoor US Champion
- 2007ranked number 5 in the world in the 100m dash
- 2006: ranked number 2 in the world in the 100m dash
- 2005: 2005 World Championships in Athletics: 5th in 100 m ; Gold in 4x400 m...USA Outdoor 100 m champion (11.01PR) and 4th in 200 m at USA Outdoors (22.37PR)…1st in 100 m at Reebok Grand Prix (11.05w)…4th in 100 m at the Adidas Track Classic (11.27)…7th in 200 m at adidas Track Classic (22.93w).
- 2004: 3rd at Home Depot (51.95)…4th in 400 m at adidas Boston Indoor Games (53.11)…6th in 60 m at Verizon Millrose Games (8.57).
- 2003: 5th at U.S. Outdoors (52.04)…World Outdoor 4x400 m relay gold medalist (1st leg 3:22.63 – World Leader)…best of 52.04.
- 2002: 8th at USA Outdoors (53.90)…2nd at NCAA Outdoors (50.87)…5th at NCAA Outdoors 200 m (23.29)…4th at SEC 200 m…3rd at SEC 100 m…ran third leg on NCAA Outdoor Championship 4x400 m relay team…ranked #8 by T&FN…bests of 23.01, 50.87.
- 2001: 7th at USA Outdoors (53.55)…8th in 200 m, 6th in 400 m, 2nd at 4x100 m relay (3rd leg) & 3rd in 4x400 m relay at NCAA Outdoors (1st leg)…3rd at World University Games 4x400 m relay in 3:28.04 (1st leg)…2nd at SEC 100 m…6th at SEC in 200 m…ranked #9 in U.S. at 400 m by T&FN…bests of 11.46, 23.43, 52.18.
- 2000: 5th in opening round at U.S. Olympic Trials 200 m (24.07)…1st at NCAA Outdoors 4x400 m relay (1st leg)…3rd at NCAA Outdoor 4x100 m (1st leg)…bests of 11.59 & 23.23.
- 1999: 5th at USA Juniors 100 m…4th at USA Juniors 200 m…8th in 200 m semis at NCAA Outdoors…bests of 11.40 & 23.74.
- 1998: 6th at USA Juniors 200 m (23.63)…6th in 100 m semi at USA Juniors…bests of 11.57 & 23.93
- Litsky, Frank. "PLUS: TRACK AND FIELD; Fast Times Eyed At Armory Meet", The New York Times, January 9, 2001. Accessed November 26, 2007. "The 800 to 900 athletes expected to compete in the Armory meet include Miki and Me'Lisa Barber, South Carolina's sprinting twins from Montclair, N.J...."
- Bloom, Marc. "RUNNING; Teammates at the Meet, Strangers at Practice", The New York Times, July 11, 1998. Accessed June 14, 2008. "Melisa and Mikele Barber, 17-year-old twins and graduating seniors who are going on to the University of South Carolina, practice under the Montclair coaches Ray Spivey and Doris Ellis at the high school track."