Me & U (song)
|"Me & U"|
|Single by Cassie|
|from the album Cassie|
|Released||April 25, 2006|
|Cassie singles chronology|
"Me & U" is a song written by Ryan Leslie and recorded by American recording artist Cassie. It was released on April 25, 2006, as the lead single from her eponymous debut album, Cassie (2006). The song reached number three on the U.S. Billboard Hot 100 in 2006. It remained in the top forty for nearly five months.
The song's "Bad Boy" remix features Diddy and Yung Joc and the song's "The Inc" remix features Ja Rule and Harry-O. The single has been a successful debut as a top three single in the U.S., a top five single in New Zealand, a top ten hit in the United Kingdom, Ireland, and France, and a top twenty song in Australia. The song is featured on DANCE! Online, a multiplayer online casual rhythm game, and Saints Row 2. "Me & U" is also heavily sampled in the 2013 song "Cool" by Le Youth.
The song was considered "a slinky, vintage-sounding track with a hypnotic, snake-charming whistle," and likened to imitating Janet Jackson. The single was certified platinum by the RIAA on December 14, 2006. It was also certified silver by the BPI.
- "Me & U" (Bad Boy Remix) features Sean "Diddy" Combs and Yung Joc
- "Me & U" (NextSelection Remix) features Ryan Leslie and has a different instrumental
- "Me & U" (The Inc Remix) features Ja Rule and Harry-O
- "Me & U" (Remix) features Ray-J
- "Me & U" (Tyler Nelson Dark Club Mix) Remix – Tyler Nelson 7:02
- "Me & U" (Roc & Soul Club Mix) Remix – David Anthony 4:41
- "Me & U" (Tyler Nelson Private Mix) Remix – Tyler Nelson 6:33
- "Me & U" (French Remix) features Booba 2:55
In the music video, Cassie comes in with her phone which is playing part of the chorus to "Me & U" while improvising some lyrics that were not in the original song. She puts the song on and begins to dance and sing along, hurting herself while doing a spinning move, changing her outfit, and then being able to successfully complete the spinning move later on. The video is directed by Norwegian-born director Ray Kay.
The video was inspired by Janet Jackson's "The Pleasure Principle" video, described as evoking Jackson's "impromptu solo dance rehearsal" during the video's mirror scenes. Cassie stated "I'm a diehard Janet Jackson fan. A lot of people compare my video for "Me & U" to hers for "Pleasure Principle." "I was just rehearsing in the studio, they filmed me and the record label thought it would be great for the video. I'd love to emulate her career. She's incredible, from her moves to her voice."
In July 2006 an unreleased, low-budget and suggestive video for "Me & U" appeared on YouTube. This video was in stark contrast to the more polished video that was shown on mainstream media outlets. Initially, it was removed from most websites but continued to appear on file sharing networks and eventually appeared again on the internet. Cassie has gone on record to denounce the original video (directed by Little X), which depicts her singing to an unidentified male at a night club before taking him to a hotel room where Cassie is depicted kneeling below him while caressing his genital region and then unbuckling his pants in night vision. Cassie's management maintains that the low-budget, risqué version was released only for European audiences.
The single became Cassie's most popular single to date, peaking at number three on the Billboard Hot 100 a short while after the song was released. It stayed atop Billboard's Hot 100 Airplay for 7 weeks. Following that chart's domination by Yung Joc's "It's Goin' Down", Bad Boy Records once again dominated a chart for much of a summer as it had done on the Hot 100 in 1997. "Me & U" also reached the top of the Hot R&B/Hip-Hop Songs chart. In the UK, the song entered the UK Singles Chart at number twenty-three and, within a week's time, rose to a number six, remaining there for a week before dropping down to number nine. The song also did well around the rest of Europe, including France, Germany, and Ireland.
|Austria (Ö3 Austria Top 40)||34|
|Belgium (Ultratop 50 Flanders)||16|
|Belgium (Ultratop 50 Wallonia)||15|
|Europe (European Hot 100 Singles)||9|
|Finland (Suomen virallinen lista)||4|
|Germany (Media Control Charts)||12|
|Netherlands (Single Top 100)||47|
|New Zealand (Recorded Music NZ)||4|
|Switzerland (Schweizer Hitparade)||11|
|UK Singles (Official Charts Company)||6|
|US Billboard Hot 100||3|
|US Mainstream Top 40 (Billboard)||3|
|US Hot R&B/Hip-Hop Songs (Billboard)||1|
"Snap Yo Fingers" by Lil Jon featuring E-40
and Sean Paul of the YoungbloodZ
|U.S. Billboard Hot R&B/Hip-Hop Songs number-one single
August 5, 2006
"Shoulder Lean" by Young Dro featuring T.I.
- "Cassie : Cassie - Music Review - Slant Magazine". Slant Magazine. Cinqueman, Sal. 07-08-06. Retrieved 07-02-14.
- "Cassie dismisses 'copycat' claims". ChinaDaily. 08-08-06. Retrieved 07-02-14.
- "Australian-charts.com – Cassie – Me & U". ARIA Top 50 Singles.
- "Cassie – Me & U – Austriancharts.at" (in German). Ö3 Austria Top 40.
- "Ultratop.be – Cassie – Me & U" (in Dutch). Ultratop 50.
- "Ultratop.be – Cassie – Me & U" (in French). Ultratop 50.
- "Danishcharts.com – Cassie – Me & U". Tracklisten.
- "Cassie Album & Song Chart History" European Hot 100 for Cassie.
- "Cassie: Me & U" (in Finnish). Musiikkituottajat – IFPI Finland.
- "Lescharts.com – Cassie – Me & U" (in French). Les classement single.
- "Die ganze Musik im Internet: Charts, News, Neuerscheinungen, Tickets, Genres, Genresuche, Genrelexikon, Künstler-Suche, Musik-Suche, Track-Suche, Ticket-Suche – musicline.de" (in German). Media Control Charts. PhonoNet GmbH.
- "Chart Track". Irish Singles Chart.
- "Dutchcharts.nl – Cassie – Me & U" (in Dutch). Single Top 100.
- "Charts.org.nz – Cassie – Me & U". Top 40 Singles.
- "Swedishcharts.com – Cassie – Me & U". Singles Top 60.
- "Cassie – Me & U – swisscharts.com". Swiss Singles Chart.
- "Cassie" UK Singles Chart.
- "Cassie Album & Song Chart History" Billboard Hot 100 for Cassie.
- "Cassie Album & Song Chart History" Billboard Pop Songs for Cassie.
- "Cassie Album & Song Chart History" Billboard Hot R&B/Hip-Hop Songs for Cassie.