Me (Jo Dee Messina album)
|Studio album by Jo Dee Messina|
|Released||March 18, 2014|
|Producer||Jo Dee Messina|
|Jo Dee Messina chronology|
|Singles from Me|
Me is the fifth full-length studio album by country singer Jo Dee Messina. The album was released on Messina's own Dreambound Records and distributed by Entertainment One on March 18, 2014. Me is Messina's first album since parting ways with her former label, Curb Records, who launched her career in 1995. The album was "crowd-funded" by help from Messina's fan base and Kickstarter in spring of 2013. The album's lead single, "Peace Sign", was issued to radio on August 23, 2013. A second single, "A Woman's Rant", went to radio on February 24, 2014.
Messina parted ways with her major label, Curb Records in December 2012. Messina admitted, "I am so excited to able to start fresh. I have so much music to share. Getting it out there to the fans is going to be such a blessing." In May 2013, Messina announced that she had partnered with Kickstarter, a website which gives artists,"a new way to fund creative projects" to allow her fans to be a part of the album making process. Messina said, "I’m so excited about you being a part of the album-making process, and I’m really looking forward to this new way of making music. Through Kickstarter, we can make the music you want, because you’ll be a part of it!
This album is truly for you, the people who appreciate the creative process, as well as my amazing fans. There’s no question, I wouldn’t be where I am today without your love and support. You’ve been with me since the beginning, and I’m in need of your support now more than ever. This album is a fresh start for me, and I want us to go on this exciting journey together." 
"Throughout the process, her fans helped JO DEE surpass her $100,000 goal, making her Kickstarter.com campaign the most successful one to come out of Nashville and at the time of completion, the 15th largest funded music campaign in Kickstarter.com history. The fans were given a voice. Via Facebook, Twitter, YouTube and Stage-It, her fans selected which songs would be included on the album, submitted artwork for her label logo, selected the album title ME and chose the album’s first single “Peace Sign.”
On June 3, 2013, Messina performed a new track, "A Woman's Rant", to promote the Kickstarter campaign.
On August 23, 2013, an official lead single, "Peace Sign", was sent to country radio.
"A Woman's Rant" was officially issued to country radio as the second single from Me on February 24, 2014.
Messina visited the Bobby Bones Show on March 4, 2014 to discuss the new album. The program played "A Woman's Rant" on air, and Messina performed her classics "Heads Carolina, Tails California" and "Bye, Bye." During her interview with the radio program, Messina also announced she would embark on an album launch promotional tour during the release week in support of Me.
On March 10, 2014, Messina posted an ad on her Facebook page, confirming that she would tour in support of the album in late 2014. The Me Tour will open in October at the Stadium Theatre Performing Arts Centre in Woonsocket, Rhode Island.
On March 16, 2014, Messina announced via her Facebook page that she had to cancel the entire promotional tour for the release week, due to a family emergency.
Me received positive critical reception among many music critics. Steve Leggett gave the album three and a half stars, stating that ultimately, "It's really what Messina has always done, though, and with the freedom granted Me after her release from Curb, she hasn't changed much, which will comfort her many fans." The Daily Country reviewed Me with a full five stars saying, "Jo Dee’s latest album proves she is alive and well….and thriving!" Michael McCall of the Associated Press claimed that "Me proves that Messina's fans are right to think she still has plenty to offer."
Me debuted at number 156 on the U.S. Billboard 200, and at number nineteen on the U.S. Billboard Top Country Albums chart selling 2,600 copies in its first week of release. As of October 15, 2014, the album sold 9,100 copies in the U.S..
|1.||"Not Dead Yet"||Alyssa Bonagura, Jo Dee Messina||3:00|
|2.||"Strong Shot of You"||Sherrié Austin, Weston Davis, Clay Mills||3:03|
|3.||"Love on a Maybe"||Lizzy McAvoy, Messina||3:42|
|4.||"Breakin' It Down"||Amy Dalley, James LeBlanc||3:46|
|5.||"Peace Sign"||Dalley, Tyler Hayes, Scott Leger||3:23|
|6.||"Me"||Kathie Baillie, Patricia Conroy, Messina||3:43|
|7.||"Like a Kid Again"||Adrianne Follesé, Keith Follesé, Tammy Hyler||3:51|
|8.||"A Woman's Rant"||Messina||3:33|
|9.||"Take It"||Brett James, Hillary Lindsey, Angelo Petraglia||3:26|
|10.||"I'm Free"||Messina, Dean Sams||3:35|
|11.||"He's Messed Up"||Bonagura, Messina||2:54|
|12.||"Say Goodbye to Superman"||Messina||4:28|
- "He's Messed Up" includes background vocals sung by some of the Kickstarter campaign backers.
- Lonnie Wilson - Drums
- Mike Brignadello - Bass
- Steve Nathan - Keys
- Brent Mason - Electric Guitar
- B. James - Acoustic Guitar
- Jo Dee Messina - Lead Vocals
- Kickstarter Backers - Background Vocals (Track 11).
- Julian King - Engineer
|US Billboard 200||156|
|US Top Country Albums (Billboard)||19|
|US Independent Albums (Billboard)||31|
- "Jo Dee Messina's New Album! by Jo Dee Messina — Kickstarter". kickstarter.com. Retrieved 2014-03-24.
- "Jo Dee Messina - WAHOOO ! Our buddies at KRKT... | Facebook". facebook.com. Retrieved 2014-03-24.
- "Jo Dee Messina Parts Ways With Curb Records - Country Weekly". countryweekly.com. Retrieved 2014-03-24.
- "JO DEE MESSINA EXCITED TO ROLL IN 2013 | jodeemessina.com". jodeemessina.com. Retrieved 2014-03-24.
- "What is Kickstarter — Kickstarter". kickstarter.com. Retrieved 2014-03-24.
- "eOne Music US - eOne Music Nashville - Artists". us.eonemusic.com. Retrieved 2014-03-24.
- "Jo Dee Messina belts out ‘Woman’s Rant’ - Video on TODAY.com". today.com. Retrieved 2014-03-24.
- "Joy Week: Jo Dee Messina Is Infectious". bobbybones.com. Retrieved 2014-03-24.
- "Jo Dee Messina - Jo Dee Messina's photos | Facebook". facebook.com. Retrieved 2014-03-24.
- "Jo Dee Messina - Well, I had to cancel the New York City... | Facebook". facebook.com. Retrieved 2014-03-24.
- "Me - Jo Dee Messina | Songs, Reviews, Credits, Awards | AllMusic". allmusic.com. Retrieved 2014-03-24.
- "Album Review Jo Dee Messina 'ME' - The Daily Country". thedailycountry.com. Retrieved 2014-03-24.
- "Review: Jo Dee Messina shines on new album 'Me' - Yahoo News". news.yahoo.com. Retrieved 2014-03-24.
- Bjorke, Matt (2014-03-26). "Country Album Chart News: The Week of March 26, 2014: Luke Bryan "Spring Break 6" and "Crash My Party" Top 5; News on Rising Stars Scotty McCreery, Cassadee Pope & more". Roughstock. Retrieved 2014-03-27.
- Matt Bjorke (October 15, 2014). "Country Album Chart Recap: October 15, 2014". Roughstock.
- "10 Country Albums - October 15, 2014 - Google Sheets". Retrieved 15 October 2014.
- "Jo Dee Messina's New Album! by Jo Dee Messina » Hello Friends! — Kickstarter". kickstarter.com. Retrieved 2014-03-24.
- "Jo Dee Messina Album & Song Chart History" Billboard 200 for Jo Dee Messina. Prometheus Global Media.
- "Jo Dee Messina Album & Song Chart History" Billboard Top Country Albums for Jo Dee Messina. Prometheus Global Media.
- "Jo Dee Messina Album & Song Chart History" Billboard Independent Albums for Jo Dee Messina. Prometheus Global Media.