Me to We
|Industry||Lifestyle and travel|
|Headquarters||Toronto, Ontario, Canada|
Me to We is a for-profit social enterprise founded in 2008 by Canadian brothers Craig Kielburger and Marc Kielburger that provides socially responsible products and services and donates half of its profits to the charity Free the Children.
Me to We began when brothers Craig and Marc Kielburger of Thornhill, Ontario, travelled to Ecuador in their teens to build a school for a developing community. Inspired by their own volunteer experiences, they founded Me to We, originally called "Leaders Today", to offer leadership training and volunteer trips to developing communities served by their charity, Free the Children. They also wrote the book Me to We, with contributions by Oprah Winfrey, Richard Gere, Jane Goodall, Desmond Tutu and others, explaining their philosophy of volunteerism, service to others and social involvement.
Mission and structure
Me to We is a socially conscious lifestyle brand, with half of its annual net profits donated to Free the Children and the other half reinvested to keep the social enterprise sustainable. The enterprise has been noted in Canadian media for setting new standards of governance in the social enterprise field.
- Leadership camps and seminars
- Volunteer travel to Kenya, Ghana, Ecuador, Nicaragua, India, Arizona, and China, where participants volunteer on Free the Children development projects.
- Canadian-produced, sweatshop-free environmentally friendly clothing (Me to We Style)
- Accessories handmade by artisans in Free The Children communities (Me to We Artisans)
- a bureau of motivational/inspirational speakers
Founder Craig Kielburger appears on Toronto news channel CP24 on regular segments focused on socially responsible lifestyle tips, entitled "Living Me to We". The enterprise also operates a retail store in Toronto that features its products and services.
Me to We works with celebrity figures in designing T-shirts, promoting pieces from the Me to We Artisans collection, and promoting volunteer trips. Past spokespeople have included:
- Shawn Desman
- Nina Dobrev
- Nelly Furtado
- Jessica Simpson
- Jesse Giddings
- Dallas Green
- Katy Perry
- Nikki Yanofsky
- Joe Jonas
- The cast of Degrassi: The Next Generation
- Holly Branson
- Down with Webster
- Bruno Mars
- Demi Lovato
- Selena Gomez
- Me to We
- The Toronto Star, Friday August 26, 2011, Rita Zekas, From Kenya to Me to We to you
- Canadian Living, Christine Langlois, The accidental activists: Craig and Marc Kielburger
- The Globe and Mail, Josh Wingrove, Marc and Craig Kielburger's do-gooding social enterprise