Meath West (Dáil Éireann constituency)
Location of Meath West within Ireland
|County/City council||County Meath|
Meath West is a parliamentary constituency represented in Dáil Éireann, the lower house of the Irish parliament or Oireachtas. The constituency elects 3 deputies (Teachtaí Dála, commonly known as TDs). The method of election is the single transferable vote form of proportional representation (PR-STV).
The constituency was created under the Electoral (Amendment) Act 2005 when the previous 5 seat Meath constituency was divided into two 3 seat constituencies of Meath East and Meath West. It was first used at the 2007 general election electing members of the 30th Dáil. The town of Kells was moved to Meath East for the 2011 general election.
The Electoral (Amendment) Act 2009 defines the constituency as:
- "The county of Meath, except the parts thereof which are comprised in the constituencies of Meath East and Louth, and the county of Westmeath, except the part thereof which is comprised in the constituency of Longford–Westmeath."
|Teachtaí Dála (TDs) for Meath West 2007–|
Note: The columns in this table are used only for presentational purposes, and no significance should be attached to the order of columns. For details of the order in which seats were won at each election, see the detailed results of that election.
2011 general election
|2011 general election: Meath West|
|Party||Candidate||% 1st Pref||Count 1||Count 2||Count 3||Count 4||Count 5|
|Fine Gael||Damien English||23.1||9,290||9,609||10,122|
|Sinn Féin||Peadar Tóibín||17.4||6,989||7,421||7,711||8,155||9,112|
|Fine Gael||Ray Butler||13.1||5,262||5,414||5,574||7,879||8,926|
|Labour Party||Jenny McHugh||13.5||5,432||5,852||6,040||6,794||7,798|
|Fianna Fáil||Johnny Brady||9.4||3,789||3,874||6,065||6,437|
|Fine Gael||Catherine Yore||9.7||3,898||4,072||4,208|
|Fianna Fáil||Shane Cassells||8.7||3,496||3,631|
|Green Party||Fiona Irwin||1.2||479|
|Christian Solidarity||Manus MacMeanmain||0.6||234|
|Workers' Party||Seamus McDonagh||0.5||189|
|Electorate: 62,776 Valid: 40,178 Spoilt: 413 (1.0%) Quota: 10,045 Turnout: 40,591 (64.7%)|
2007 general election
|2007 general election: Meath West|
|Party||Candidate||% 1st Pref||Count 1||Count 2||Count 3||Count 4||Count 5||Count 6||Count 7|
|Fianna Fáil||Noel Dempsey||29.7||12,006|
|Fianna Fáil||Johnny Brady||21.9||8,868||10,178|
|Fine Gael||Damien English||17.9||7,227||7,427||7,566||7,856||8,527||9,548||12,934|
|Sinn Féin||Joe Reilly||11.3||4,567||4,697||4,803||5,024||5,187||5,588||6,015|
|Fine Gael||Peter Higgins||8.0||3,234||3,335||3,424||3,534||3,960||4,379|
|Labour Party||Brian Collins||4.0||1,634||1,663||1,734||2,097||2,181|
|Fine Gael||Graham Geraghty||3.2||1,284||1,326||1,360||1,420|
|Green Party||Brian Flanagan||2.5||1,011||1,047||1,194|
|Fathers Rights||Paul Coleman||0.3||127||130|
|Electorate: 56,267 Valid: 40,464 Spoilt: 388 (0.9%) Quota: 10,117 Turnout: 40,852 (72.6%)|
- Parliamentary constituencies in the Republic of Ireland
- Politics of the Republic of Ireland
- List of political parties in the Republic of Ireland
- List of Irish by-elections
- Elections in the Republic of Ireland
- "Electoral (Amendment) Act 2005: Schedule". Irish Statute Book database. Retrieved 24 September 2010.
- "Electoral (Amendment) Act 2009: Schedule". Irish Statute Book database. Retrieved 29 September 2010.
- "General election 2007: Meath East". ElectionsIreland.org. Retrieved 27 April 2010.
- "General election 2011: Meath East". ElectionsIreland.org. Retrieved 27 February 2011.