|Native name||قطار المشاعر المقدسة|
|Transit type||Rapid transit|
|Number of lines||1 - Line B (currently open during Hajj season only)
|Number of stations||7 - Line B (currently open during Hajj season only)
|Operation will start||Nov 2010 - Line B (currently open during Hajj season only)
|System length||188 km (117 mi) (projected)|
|Track gauge||1,435 mm (4 ft 8 1⁄2 in) standard gauge|
The Mecca Metro or Makkah Metro (Arabic: قطار المشاعر المقدسة qtar al mashaaer al mugaddassah tr. train of holy sites) or officially known as Makkah Mass Rail Transit is a planned four-line metro system for the city of Mecca, Saudi Arabia. The Line B is part of the Makkah Metro, which opened in November 2010 and carries pilgrims during the Hajj. The metro forms part of the 62bn riyal Makkah Public Transport Programme, which will includes integrated bus services.
In August 2012 it was announced that the Saudi government had approved US$16.5 billion to build the four metro lines (182-kilometer (113 mi) long) of the system. The announcement of government financing said that the entire expansion would take 10 years. Invitation for tenders were due to be issued in January 2013.
- Line A: 27.7 km, 18 stations
- Line B: 11.9 km, 7 stations
- Line C: 28.3 km, 17 stations
- Line D: 35.2 km, 19 stations
However, work on the planned four line, now 188-kilometer (117 mi) long, metro network is now expected to commence in 2016.
- "Makkah metro railway systems contract pre-qualification begins". Railway Gazette International. 24 March 2014.
- "Makkah to have four metro lines, 88 stations - Phase one of 188-km metro network to begin work in 2016". Gulf News. 29 April 2014. Retrieved 2014-06-07.
- "Jeddah and Makkah metro plans approved". Railway Gazette International. 17 August 2012.
- "Hajj pilgrims take the metro to Makkah". Railway Gazette International. 15 November 2010.
- "Saudi Cabinet Approves $16.5 Billion Mecca Metro System". Bloomberg News. 14 August 2012. Retrieved 2014-06-07.
- "Makkah Metro tender to be issued in January". Saudi Gazette. 25 October 2012.
- "Makkah metro expansion plan". Railway Gazette International. 11 August 2011.
Media related to Mecca Metro at Wikimedia Commons