|Type||Public (LSE: MEC)|
|Headquarters||London, United Kingdom|
|Key people||Stephen Davidson
|Revenue||€492 million (2012)(six months to June 2012)|
|Operating income||€43.1 million (Loss) (2012) (six months to June 2012)|
Mecom was first listed on the Alternative Investment Market in 2005. In 2008, Mecom was admitted to the main list of the London Stock Exchange. In September 2012, following a period of poor trading conditions and continued challenging advertising markets, the group announced a strategic review to examine all options for maximising shareholder value. These options include, but are not limited to, the disposal of some or all of the Group’s businesses.
Growth through acquisition
- 2005: In conjunction with the American media private equity firm Veronis Suhler Stevenson, the company acquired Berliner Verlag, publisher of the Berliner Zeitung and the Berliner Kurier.
- 2006: Mecom bought Germany's oldest newspaper, the Hamburger Morgenpost, and the Dutch Media Groep Limburg.
- 2006: Mecom acquired Orkla Media, a Norwegian Group which includes Edda Media, Berlingske Officin and Rzeczpospolita.
- 2007: The company bought a controlling stake in the Dutch publishing group Wegener.
The Company owned around 300 titles and has had substantial operations in the Netherlands, Denmark, Norway, Germany and Poland. However, in 2009, Mecom sold all their newspapers in Germany to M. DuMont Schauberg and large parts of their newspapers in Norway.
Mecom Group’s Dutch division comprises the Wegener and LMG. Wegener is the biggest publisher of local daily newspapers and free door-to-door newspapers in the Netherlands. LMG is the leading regional newspaper company in the Dutch region of Limburg. In March 2012, Mecom reached an agreement to acquire 13.3% interest in Wegener resulting in Mecom holding 99.7% of the ordinary share capital of the company.
Mecom’s Danish operation is Berlingske Media, which provides newspaper publishing and printing. Berlingske is one of the largest publishers of nationwide and local daily newspapers and free door-to-door newspapers in Denmark, with a 54% share of the regional distribution market and 33% of the total Danish newspaper segment.
Having disposed of its 51 per cent interest in Presspublica in October 2011, the Group's activities in Poland now consists of Media Regionalne. Located in Warsaw, Media Regionalne holds several newspapers, freesheets, websites and printing factories across Poland. Previously known as Orkla Press Polska, the company owns 10 local newspapers with over 300,000 copies sold.
In late 2011, Mecom were in talks with Norwegian media group A-pressen to sell Edda Media,  and in June 2012 the sale was finalised with effective proceeds of NOK1,500 million resulting in a net debt reduction of approximately €195million.
- Trinity Mirror, Johnston Press and Mecom crash out of FTSE 250
- FT.com Profile: Mecom
- Brokers cut Mecom's pre-tax profit forecast
- UK's Mecom expects to list on the Main Market in mid-April
- "MECOM GROUP PLC - INTERIM RESULTS FOR THE SIX MONTHS ENDED 30th JUNE 2012". Retrieved 16 November 2012.
- Brook, Stephen (October 25, 2005). "Montgomery concludes German publisher deal". The Guardian (Guardian Media Group). Retrieved 2008-08-19.
- Hamburger Mogenpost deal confirmed
- Montgomery buys Dutch double
- Montgomery buys into Norwegian Media Company
- Former Mirror editor to buy Dutch publisher
- Mecom Group Companies
- "Mecom - The Netherlands". mecom.com. Retrieved 14 November 2012.
- "MECOM share price ( MEC,MEC.L,LSE:MEC,LON:MEC) - trade for £10: News | Interactive Investor". iii.co.uk. Retrieved 14 November 2012.
- "Berlingske Media - Company Profile and Analysis | G2Mi". g2mi.com. Retrieved 14 November 2012.
- "Berlingske Tidende A/s: Private Company Information - Businessweek". investing.businessweek.com. Retrieved 14 November 2012.
- "Berlingske Media - Company Profile by Insideview". insideview.com. Retrieved 14 November 2012.
- "Mecom - Business Overview". mecom.com. Retrieved 14 November 2012.
- "Media Regionalne (Mecom Group) - Clients - BCC - SAP implementations, SAP outsourcing in Poland and other countries". bcc.com.pl. Retrieved 14 November 2012.
- "Mecom in talks to sell Edda Media to Norway's A-pressen -FT | Reuters". in.reuters.com. Retrieved 14 November 2012.
- "Norway's A-Pressen buys Edda Media from Mecom - Yahoo! Finance". finance.yahoo.com. Retrieved 14 November 2012.
- "FE Investegate |Mecom Group PLC Announcements | Mecom Group PLC: Completion of sale of Edda Media AS". investegate.co.uk. Retrieved 14 November 2012.