MedStar Harbor Hospital
|MedStar Harbor Hospital|
|Location||Baltimore County, Maryland, U.S.|
|Lists||Hospitals in U.S.|
MedStar Harbor Hospital is a not-for-profit, 179-bed acute care teaching hospital facility located at 3001 South Hanover Street in downtown Baltimore, Maryland, on the Patapsco River. In FY 2012, it served 11,535 inpatients. MedStar Harbor Hospital's areas of specialty include Orthopaedics, Oncology, Women's services, Cardiology, Internal medicine and Neurosurgery. MedStar Harbor Hospital offers a residency training program in internal medicine and a transitional program that prepares residents to specialize in other areas.
In addition to the main hospital, MedStar Harbor Hospital has three satellite outpatient locations:
- The MedStar HealthPark in Pasadena
- The MedStar Harbor Specialty Care site in Elkridge
- The Orthopaedic Specialty Care site in Timonium
MedStar Harbor Hospital is accredited by The Joint Commission, an independent non-profit organization that evaluates and accredits more than 100,000 health care programs and hospitals across the country. It is the nation’s preeminent standard setting and accrediting health care organization.
MedStar Harbor Hospital was originally named the South Baltimore Eye, Ear, Nose and Throat Hospital and was established by Dr. Harry Peterman in 1903. It was located on Light Street in what was then an industrial area of Baltimore City.
When the hospital outgrew its original location, it purchased 12 acres (49,000 m2) from Broening Park, formerly the site of the Maryland Yacht Club. Construction of the present MedStar Harbor Hospital began in 1967. The present location, with its close proximity to the Inner Harbor, inspired the name, Harbor Hospital.
- Arthritis & Osteoporosis Center
- Cancer Center - The Cancer Center recently received a full three-year accreditation from the Commission on Cancer (CoC) of the American College of Surgeons.
- Emergency Department
- Lung Cancer Center
- Neonatal Care Unit
- Neurosurgical Care
- Orthopaedic Specialty Care - The orthopaedic specialty care program offers advanced diagnostic tests, minimally invasive treatments, pain control, long-term rehabilitation and support through the entire process, from evaluation through surgery, if necessary.
- Rehabilitation Services
- Pulmonary Rehabilitation
- Sleep Center
- Stroke - MedStar Harbor Hospital is certified as a primary stroke center by The Joint Commission. This designation recognizes that MedStar Harbor Hospital provides services with the critical elements necessary to achieve long-term success in improving outcomes for stroke patients. MedStar Harbor now is among 14 Maryland hospitals to receive this important distinction.
- Women’s Services
- OB/Gyn Services
MedStar Harbor Hospital has been awarded the Delmarva Foundation Quality Excellence Award, an independent, not-for-profit health care quality improvement organization. MedStar Harbor Hospital has earned the award eight times, (2001, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2010, 2011, 2012 and 2013) more than any other hospital in the Delmarva area, including Maryland, Washington D.C., and Delaware.
- MedStar Harbor Hospital web site
- MedStar Harbor Hospital on Google Street View
- American Historical Press - Harbor Hospital Chronicle