|This article does not cite any references or sources. (December 2014)|
|Launched||19 October 2008|
|Picture format||PAL 576i(SDTV) 4:3/16:9 ,1080i (HDTV)|
|Formerly called||Premiere 12
(1 September 1995 - 29 January 2000)
(30 January 2000 - 19 October 2008)
|Sister channel(s)||Channel 5
|MediaCorp - Analogue (PAL-B)||Channel 24 (495.25MHz)|
|MediaCorp - Digital (DVB-T2)||Channel 31 (UHF 554MHz) (LCN 05) (HD)|
|Astro (Malaysia)||Channel 233 (HD) (Coming Soon)|
|StarHub TV||Channel 105 / 156 (HD)|
|MediaCorp (via SCTV socket)||Channel 24 (495.25MHz)|
|mio TV||Channel 5 / 621 (HD)|
MediaCorp Vasantham or Vasantham (Tamil: வசந்தம்) is a (predominantly Tamil) Indian language channel dedicated to the Singaporean Indians in Singapore. It was launched on 1 September 1995 as an English children's and highbrow channel named Premiere 12 but Tamil programmes were included on 30 January 2000 when it was renamed Central and later relaunched as a standalone Tamil channel on 19 October 2008. Programmes in Tamil and other Indian languages has increased from 29 to 69 hours each week. With the extended hours, there are more reality programmes, live talk shows, reruns and the introduction of long form dramas.
Tamil programming was originally shown on Channel 8 from its inception on 23 November 1963 until 1 September 1995 when it became a standalone Chinese channel and began broadcasting 24 hours a day and the launch of Premiere 12. Because of that, Tamil programmes were transferred to the existing Channel 12, resulting to be renamed Prime 12 with their new slogan, "Speaking Your Language". Besides showing programmes in Tamil, Malay programmes were also shown, as well as English, Japanese, Spanish, French, German, Korean, Italian & Portuguese at that time. On 30 January 2000, Tamil programmes were being transferred to Premiere 12, meaning that Prime 12 was renamed Suria and became a standalone Malay channel and Premiere 12 was also renamed Central. Central had 3 program belts:
- Kids Central – a children's television channel with enriching educational & animation programming.
- Vasantham Central – a Tamil language channel.
- Arts Central – a channel that showcases art, cultural and largely foreign award-winning productions and incorporated a significant amount of niche programming, making the channel rather distinctive compared to the others.
On 19 October 2008, Central was restructured. The program belt of Vasantham Central was extended to form the new Vasantham, a full-fledged Indian Channel to provide better television programmes to the Indian community of Singapore, as announced in January 2008 when the Parliament of Singapore decided to expand the Tamil language Vasantham Central into a standalone Tamil language channel. Vasantham took over the frequency of the Central.
- Monday to Wednesday: 15:00 to 00:00 SST
- Thursday: 15:00 to 00:30 SST
- Friday: 15:00 to 00:30 or late SST
- Saturday to Sunday: 13:00 to 00:30 or late SST
- Public holiday: 06:00, 09:00 or 10:00 to 00:00 or 06:00 SST the following day.
- Hindu holiday: 24-hours
There are daily local soap dramas on weekdays, local variety/entertainment and info-educational programmes and four Live Shows per week on the channel.
- Vasantham Tamil News - The channel's main news in Tamil is shown at 8:30 pm daily and repeats at 11:30 pm from Monday to Wednesday but on Thursday, Friday and weekends, the time for the repeat telecast varies and broadcasts immediately before closedown.
There are 7 movie slots per week.
- Tamil Silver Screen – Latest blockbuster Hits from the Kollywood Film Industry.
- Tamil Talkies - Blockbuster Hits of the 90's & early 2000s from the Kollywood Film Industry.
- Bollywood Masti – Blockbuster Hits from the Glitz and Glamour of the Bollywood Film Industry. Their main block slogan is "Enjoy Discreetly".
- Vasantham Box Office – Evergreen movies of yesteryears from Kollywood.
- Indian Panorama – Featuring regional movies from India. Includes Telugu, Marathi, Malayalam, Kannada and Punjabi movies.
- Cinema Express – Encore movie slot featuring the best of Kollywood movies.
- Vasantham Gold - Movies from 70's to 80's of Kollywood Film Industry.
Most Popular Series
- Vettai (Singapore TV series) (Season 1:Vettai : Pledged to Hunt,Season 3: Vettai 3: The Final Judgment)