MediaInfo 0.7.37 running on Windows 7
|Original author(s)||Jérôme Martinez|
|Initial release||28 December 2002|
|Stable release||0.7.70 / 3 September 2014|
|Operating system||Unix-like, Microsoft Windows, Mac OS|
|Available in||36 languages|
|License||Simplified BSD License|
MediaInfo is a free and open-source program that displays technical information about media files, as well as tag information for many audio and video files. It is used in many programs such as XMedia Recode, MediaCoder, eMule, and K-Lite Codec Pack. It can be easily integrated into any program using a supplied MediaInfo.dll. MediaInfo supports popular video formats (e.g. AVI, WMV, QuickTime, Real, DivX, XviD) as well as lesser known or emerging formats such as MKV including WebM. In 2012 MediaInfo 0.7.57 was also distributed in the PortableApps format.
MediaInfo provides a command-line interface for displaying the provided information on all supported platforms. Additionally, a GUI for viewing the information on Microsoft Windows and Mac OS X is provided. Users that want to have the Windows GUI version of the software can choose to download it bundled with the OpenCandy installer to support the software's creators.
MediaInfo reveals information such as:
- General: Title, author, director, album, track number, date, duration
- Video: codec, aspect ratio, fps, bitrate
- Audio: codec, sample rate, channels, language, bitrate
- Text: subtitle language
- Chapters: numbers of chapters, list of chapters
MediaInfo 0.7.51 and newer retrieve codec information optionally from tags or by computation. Thus in the case of misleading tags erroneous codec information may be presented.
Supported Input Formats
MediaInfo supports just about any video and audio file including:
- Video: MKV, OGM, AVI, DivX, WMV, QuickTime, Real, Mpeg-1, MPEG-2, MPEG-4, DVD (VOB), DivX, XviD, MSMPEG4, ASP, H.264 (Mpeg-4 AVC)
- Audio: OGG, MP3, WAV, RA, AC3, DTS, AAC, M4A, AU, AIFF
- Subtitles: SRT, SSA, ASS, SAMI 
Supported operating systems
MediaInfo supports Microsoft Windows XP or later, Mac OS X, Solaris and many Linux and BSD distributions. MediaInfo also provides source code so essentially any operating system or platform can be supported. An old version 0.7.60 for Windows 95 to 2000 exists.
Up to version 0.7.62 the MediaInfo library was licensed under the GNU Lesser General Public License, while GUI and CLI were provided under the terms of the GNU General Public License. Starting with version 0.7.63 the project switched to a BSD 2-clause license ("Simplified BSD License").
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to MediaInfo.|
- Change log on MediaInfo website
- "K-Lite Codec Pack 10.3.5 Full, Standard and Basic". free-codecs.com. 2014-02-28. Retrieved 2014-02-28.
- "MediaInfo 0.7.67-1". free-codecs.com. 2014-01-11. Retrieved 2014-02-28.
- "MediaInfo Portable 0.7.57 Development Test 1". PortableApps. 2012-05-12. Retrieved 2014-02-28.
- "Bundled with a software distribution network". MediaInfo at SourceForge.net. MediaInfo developers. Retrieved 13 February 2013.
- MediaInfo About Page
- MediaInfo Download Page
- "Mulder MediaInfo (CLI+GUI)". SourceForge project muldersoft. 2013-12-20. Retrieved 2013-12-29.
- Dirk Paehl (2013-12-11). "Versionen von DP MediaInfo 32/64Bit". Retrieved 2013-12-29.
- "MediaInfo(Lib) 0.7 - Reading information about media files". Doom9. 2005. Retrieved 2013-12-29.
- MediaInfo(Lib) License on MediaInfo website