Media Control Charts
|Media Control GfK International|
|Type||Market research, Service Provider of Media Monitoring, Analysis and Evaluation|
|Managing Director for Media Control GmbH & Co. KG
Managing Director for Media Control® GfK International GmbH
Dr. Mathias Giloth, Wolfgang Wanders
The official music charts in Germany are gathered and published by the company media control® GfK International GmbH on behalf of Bundesverband Musikindustrie (Federal Association of Phonographic Industry). Media Control® GfK International is the provider of weekly Top-100 single/album, Compilation, Jazz Top-30, Classic Top-20, Schlager Longplay Top-20, Music-DVD Top-20 and the official-Dance (ODC) Top-50 charts.
Dissemination of the charts is conducted by various media outlets, some of which include VIVA music channel, which was founded in 1993. Another entity that presents the charts is MusicLoad and MIX 1, both of which are online associations that post almost all the charts on weekly bases published by Media Control GfK. The entire batch of the official charts, however, is presented by an online enterprise called Charts.de, which happens to be the subsidiary of Media Control GfK International.
Charts have been published in Germany since 1959, in a magazine called Der Musikmarkt (The Music Market), which has played an important role in the German music industry. Since 1959, the growing desire to have a well-developed music program has made Bundesverband Musikindustrie work together with charts providers to improve the way the charts are determined.
For this purpose, different research institutes were tested, out of which Media Control, based in Baden Baden, was selected. Hence, the first official charts were made available in the magazine Der Musikmarkt in September 1977.
Initially, there used to be 50 positions only, which later in January 1980, was extended to 75 slots. Since 1989, however, Media Control has adapted the international standards providing 100 positions, called "Media Control Top 100". In 2001, the Top-100 singles charts was modified to reflect the sales of the singles.
Media Control developed "Music Video charts" in 2001, which later, in 2004, was renamed as "DVD charts". While music-videos have their own separate charts, in 2001, Media Control made it possible for the music-video singles to have the ability to enter the Top-100 singles chart. Similarly, in 2002, it was made available for music-video albums to chart on the Top-100 album chart, if the video album contained at least 50% of audio recording. If not, then, the DVD album could qualify for the DVD chart only. In the same vein, if an audio CD contains at least 50% of video recording, then, it could qualify to chart on the DVD chart.
In 2003 Media Control joined forces with GfK, thus the company's name officially being changed to media control GfK International GmbH. media control® GfK International GmbH is in charge of providing chart data for music, books, DVDs and games.
In 2004, Germany became one of the first music markets wherein sales charts were reflected by online digital downloads.
Digital-only releases came into existence on July 13, 2007, for online downloads only, which also altered the way the sales figures were conducted up to that point. Consequently, chart positions would no longer be affected by the number of sold music downloads as before, but rather, they would be affected by the sales value of the sold product. Thus, the best-selling albums would not necessarily be the ones ending up in the number-one position on the charts.
This is the list of categories, for each of which charts that are provided by Media Control.
- Top 100 Singles
- Top 100 Albums
- Top 100 Compilation Charts
- Daily Trends (Top 150 singles and albums, top 50 compilation)
- Download Charts (singles and albums)
- Top 30 Jazz Charts
- Top 20 Classic Charts
- Top 20 Schlager Longplay Charts
- Top 20 Music video Charts
- Top 20 Newcomer Charts
- Top 20 Independent Charts
- Top 10 Comedy Charts
- Top 50 ODC (Official Dance Charts)
Records and statistics
- "Unternehmen: Management". Media Control GmbH & Co. KG. Retrieved 2010-12-04.
- "Media Control: Musik-Charts" (in German). Media Control GfK International. Retrieved 2010-04-22.
- "VIVA: Charts" (in German). VIVA. Retrieved 2011-07-26.
- "Musicload" (in German). musicload.de. Retrieved 2011-07-26.
- "Mix 1" (in German). mix1.de. Retrieved 2011-07-26.
- "Charts released by Media Control" (in German). Media Control: Charts.de.
- "Systembeschreibung der offiziellen Charts: Gegenstand und Zweck (System Description of the Official Charts: Object and Purpose)" (in German). Bundesverband Musikindustrie. Retrieved 2010-10-02.
- "Media Control: Unternehmen" (in German). Media Control. Retrieved 2013-12-06.
- "media control® GfK International GmbH" (in German). Media Control. Retrieved 2013-12-06.
- "German Singles Chart To Include Downloads". allbusiness.comaccessdate=2010-10-02. 2004-08-25.
- "Reine Musik-Downloads erscheinen demnächst in den Charts". allbusiness.com. 2007-06-26. Retrieved 2011-07-26.
- "Musik-Charts - media control". Media-control.de. Retrieved 2011-08-23.