Medical Council of India
|Affiliations||Department of Higher Education, Ministry of Human Resource Development|
|Remarks||Professor R K Srivastava, Chairperson (acting)|
The Medical Council of India (MCI) is the statutory body for establishing uniform and high standards of medical education in India. The Council grants recognition of medical qualifications, gives accreditation to medical colleges, grants registration to medical practitioners, and monitors medical practice in India. The current chairman of Board of Governors of MCI is Dr.R K Srivastava.
The Medical Council of India was first established in 1934 under the Indian Medical Council Act, 1933. The Council was later reconstituted under the Indian Medical Council Act, 1956 that replaced the earlier Act.
Following this, the Council was superseded by the President of India and its functions entrusted to a Board of Governors. The present Board of Governors was notified on 13 May 2011.
Again vide Govt. of India notification, the Council re-constituted and functioning currently
Functions of the council
The main functions of the Medical Council of India are the following:
- Establishment and maintenance of uniform standards for undergraduate medical education.
(However,it is another matter that it subjects its Foreign Medical Graduates to a different standard, and never bothers to see if its private medical college doctors do in fact possess such standards, despite voices about quality of such doctors from healthcare providers themselves, MCI continue to land a deaf year, as this will take away charm of such seats, and crores of rupees it gets from them)
- Regulation of postgraduate medical education in medical colleges accredited by it. (The National Board of Examinations is another statutory body for postgraduate medical education in India).
- Recognition of medical qualifications granted by medical institutions in India.
- Recognition of foreign medical qualifications in India.
- Accreditation of medical colleges.
(Always on monetary considerations, it is alleged, with private medical colleges getting accredition even if faculties and facilities existing only on paper )
- Registration of doctors with recognized medical qualifications.
- Keeping a directory of all registered doctors (called the Indian Medical Register).
Registration of doctors and their qualifications is usually done by state medical councils.
"MCI Online" is the portal of the Medical Council of India for online processing of applications for registration (of medical qualifications) and for professional certificates. "MCI Online" also provides online search of the Indian Medical Register.
- Dr. B. C. Roy Awards: Dr. B.C. Roy National Award Fund was instituted in 1962 to perpetuate his memory. The Award is presented to distinguished medical person in each of the categories of Statesmanship of the Highest Order in our country, Medical man-cum-Statesman, Eminent Medical Person, Eminent person in Philosophy and Eminent person in Arts.
- Hari Om Ashram Award: Hari Om Ashram Alembic Research Award Fund has decided to invite the nomination for Hari Om Ashram Alembic Research Awards under the categories of Basic Research in Medical Sciences, Clinical Research and Operational Research.
- Silver Jubilee Award: Silver Jubilee Research Award Fund was given under the categories to give award to person for his original and outstanding work in the field of medical and allied science done in India, to give aid or assistance to project in medical colleges/medical institutions/organizations engaged in the development of medical education and to help medical research and to Grant Travel Fellowship.
The MCI was dissolved by the President of India on 15 May 2010 following the arrest of MCI's president Ketan Desai by the CBI on 22 April 2010. Desai and three others was arrested for allegedly accepting a bribe to permit Patiala-based Gyan Sagar Medical College to recruit a fresh batch of students without having adequate infrastructure. Desai, alleged middle-man J. P. Singh and doctors Sukhwinder Singh and Kanwaljit Singh have been booked under the Prevention of Corruption Act.
- The National Council for Human Resource in Health in India
- National Board of Examinations
- All India Institute of Medical Sciences
- Medical Council of India Screening Test
- Compulsory Rotatory Residential Internship
- "Former health services DG to lead MCI board of governors - See more at: http://www.indianexpress.com/news/former-health-services-dg-to-lead-mci-board-of-governors/1119930/#sthash.jOhhq3NN.dpuf". Indian Express.
- "Court extends judicial custody of Ketan Desai by 14 days". The Hindu. May 14, 2010. Retrieved May 17, 2010.
- "President signs ordinance on MCI". The Hindu. May 15, 2010. Retrieved May 17, 2010.