Medical University of Varna
|Medical University of Varna 'Prof. Dr. Paraskev Stoyanov'|
|Медицински университет "Проф. Д-р Параскев Стоянов" - Варна|
|Rector||Prof. Krasimir Ivanov, MD, PhD, DSc|
The Medical University of Varna 'Prof. Dr. Paraskev Stoyanov' (Bulgarian: Медицински университет "Проф. Д-р Параскев Стоянов" - Варна) is a university located in Varna, Bulgaria. It was founded in 1961 and is organized in 4 faculties and 1 medical college.
Medical University of Varna was established in 1961 by a decree of the National Assembly of Republic of Bulgaria as a pursuant to Higher Medical Institute. In 1995 the latter was transformed to Medical University. This establishment is the third largest Medical University in the country and aims to provide adequate healthcare for people living in this Northeastern Bulgaria. For more than forty years the reality of Health becomes a part of students, researchers, instructors and specialists life thanks to this University. Plenty of incredible persons and specialists have left their unique presence in the Medical University of Varna. Although quoting would be difficult, the university staff keeps their decrees of professional work and persistence, ethics, mission and last but not least the excessive humanity.
Since its establishment 8351 Bulgarians and 977 foreign students from 45 countries have graduated from Varna Medical University. However the numbers do not matter by themselves if every alumnus of the University doesn't bring in his heart the University's values which history is never going to change. The truth value called person in the cause of Medical University of Varna that everyone of us percepts in his own way.
The University is organized in 4 faculties and 1 medical college
- Faculty of Medicine
- Faculty of Dental Medicine
- Faulty of Pharmacy
- Faculty of Public Health
- Medical College
- Medicine - The education of Medicine lasts 6 years. The curriculum is based on the country's and European Union requirements. The program contains 10 semesters of academic training (5 years) and an internship year(310 days) before graduation. During the internship year students are required to take the state exams for licensing. There are also summer practical internships that are obligatory for the students of the 3rd and 4th year of education. The degree and the licensing is recognized in all European Union countries and abroad. Many graduates are practicing internationally. After having fulfilled the required obligations of the academic program, the internship and having passed the state exams, the students receive the professional qualification physician or Doctor of Medicine, MD and obtain a Master degree.
- Dental Medicine - The Study in Dentistry covers three different stages (5 and a half year of education). In the first 2 years students gain basic medical-biological knowledge (first stage). Clinical training is given from 3rd to 5th year and includes profiled education in general-medical clinic disciplines and a special training in dental disciplines (second stage). The internship before graduation (third stage) is done in a series of pediatric, oral, maxillofacial surgery, denture dentistry, conservative dental treatment, paradontology and orthodontics and lasts half year. After every single stage, students are required to pass a state exam. Those who have passed the state exams obtain a Master's degree and a Dentist's qualification.
- Pharmacy - The Study in Pharmacy covers three different stages. The program contains 9 semesters (4 and a half year) and an internship (120 days or 6 months) before graduation. Those who have successfully passed the state exams obtain a Master degree and the qualification Pharmacist.
- Healthcare Management - The training in this specialty offers 2 modules - full-time and part-time education. This specialty aims to introduce new approaches of Health Institutions management. The main objective of the training is to provide students knowledge and practical skills so they can independently analyze and solve specific administrative issues from our health and social system. The educational degrees of healthcare management alumni are as follows: "bachelor" - covering 4 years course of education for full-time students and 5 years for part-time students; "master"- covering a year for full-time students and 2 for part-time students.
- Healthcare Services - The training in this specialty offers two different modules - full-time students and part-time students are admitted in conformity with the syllabus, developed on the bases of unified state requirements for the specialty. Full-time education covers 5 semesters. Students are required to make a one semester internship before-graduation in healthcare management and pedagogy. The part-time program lasts 6 semesters, of which the last one is an internship in the appointed field. In both modules, the education is terminated by two practical and two theoretical state exams. The alumni are given two professional qualifications in two complementary fields "Manager of healthcare services" and "medical college tutor". Qualified alumni in this specialty are trained for competitive managerial positions in public health institutions as well as preventive and social institutions, according to "Public Health Institutions Law" requirements. Furthermore they are qualified for practice tutors in Medical College.
- Balkan Universities Network
- University Hospital St. Marina - Varna
- George Chaldakov, MD, PhD - Scientist and Professor
- List of medical schools
- Medical University of Varna Website(English) (Bulgarian)
- FACULTY OF DENTISTRY(English) (Bulgarian)
- Adipobiology, ISSN: 1313-3705(English)
- Biomedical Reviews, ISSN: 1314-1929(English)
- Scripta Scientifica Medica, ISSN: 1314-6408(English)