Medora, North Dakota
|Medora, North Dakota|
The Billings County courthouse
|Motto: "North Dakota's #1 Destination"|
Location of Medora, North Dakota
|• Total||0.37 sq mi (0.96 km2)|
|• Land||0.36 sq mi (0.93 km2)|
|• Water||0.01 sq mi (0.03 km2)|
|Elevation||2,267 ft (691 m)|
|• Estimate (2013)||129|
|• Density||311.1/sq mi (120.1/km2)|
|Time zone||Mountain (MST) (UTC-7)|
|• Summer (DST)||MDT (UTC-6)|
|GNIS feature ID||1035000|
|Website||The City of Medora, North Dakota|
Medora is a city in Billings County, North Dakota, United States. It is the county seat of, and only incorporated place in Billings County. The population was 112 at the 2010 census. It is part of the Dickinson Micropolitan Statistical Area.
Medora was founded in 1883 along the transcontinental rail line of the Northern Pacific Railway by French nobleman Marquis de Mores, who named the city after his wife Medora von Hoffman. Marquis de Mores wanted to ship refrigerated meat to Chicago via the railroad. He built a meat packing plant for this purpose and a house named the Chateau de Mores, which is now a museum. The city of Medora is also home to the popular Medora Musical and the city has become one of the most popular tourist attractions in the state.
Medora is located at .(46.914258, -103.524942)
As of the census of 2010, there were 112 people, 56 households, and 27 families residing in the city. The population density was 311.1 inhabitants per square mile (120.1 /km2). There were 102 housing units at an average density of 283.3 per square mile (109.4 /km2). The racial makeup of the city was 93.8% White, 1.8% Native American, 3.6% Asian, and 0.9% from two or more races.
There were 56 households of which 10.7% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 44.6% were married couples living together, 1.8% had a female householder with no husband present, 1.8% had a male householder with no wife present, and 51.8% were non-families. 46.4% of all households were made up of individuals and 16.1% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 1.84 and the average family size was 2.63.
The median age in the city was 45.3 years. 11.6% of residents were under the age of 18; 10% were between the ages of 18 and 24; 27.8% were from 25 to 44; 32.1% were from 45 to 64; and 18.8% were 65 years of age or older. The gender makeup of the city was 47.3% male and 52.7% female.
As of the census of 2000, there were 100 people, 51 households, and 23 families residing in the city. The population density was 271.7 people per square mile (104.4/km²). There were 117 housing units at an average density of 317.9 per square mile (122.1/km²). The racial makeup of the city was 100.00% White. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 1.00% of the population.
There were 51 households out of which 21.6% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 31.4% were married couples living together, 11.8% had a female householder with no husband present, and 54.9% were non-families. 51.0% of all households were made up of individuals and 11.8% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 1.96 and the average family size was 3.00.
In the city the population was spread out with 26.0% under the age of 18, 4.0% from 18 to 24, 29.0% from 25 to 44, 26.0% from 45 to 64, and 15.0% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 41 years. For every 100 females there were 96.1 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 94.7 males.
The median income for a household in the city was $31,563, and the median income for a family was $61,250. Males had a median income of $26,042 versus $21,094 for females. The per capita income for the city was $23,399. There were no families and 4.8% of the population living below the poverty line, including no under eighteens and 15.0% of those over 64.
Points of interest
- Medora Musical
- Theodore Roosevelt National Park (South Unit)
- Maah Daah Hey Trail
- Bully Pulpit Golf Course
- Chateau de Mores
- "Medora, North Dakota". Medora, North Dakota. Retrieved August 14, 2012.
- "US Gazetteer files 2010". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2012-06-14.
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2012-06-14.
- "Population Estimates". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2014-06-17.
- "US Board on Geographic Names". United States Geological Survey. 2007-10-25. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "Find a County". National Association of Counties. Retrieved 2011-06-07.
- "2010 Census Redistricting Data (Public Law 94-171) Summary File". American FactFinder. United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2 May 2011.
- Wick, Douglas A. "Medora (Billings County)". North Dakota Place Names. Retrieved 8 May 2011.
- Chateau de Mores - State of North Dakota
- "US Gazetteer files: 2010, 2000, and 1990". United States Census Bureau. 2011-02-12. Retrieved 2011-04-23.
- United States Census Bureau. "Census of Population and Housing". Retrieved September 7, 2013.
- "Annual Estimates of the Resident Population: April 1, 2010 to July 1, 2012". Retrieved June 17, 2014.
- Climate Summary for Medora, North Dakota
|Find more about Medora, North Dakota at Wikipedia's sister projects|
|Definitions and translations from Wiktionary|
|Media from Commons|
|Quotations from Wikiquote|
|Source texts from Wikisource|
|Textbooks from Wikibooks|
|Learning resources from Wikiversity|