|Industry||Contract Research Organization|
|Headquarters||Cincinnati, Ohio, USA|
|Key people||Dr. August J. Troendle, President and CEO|
|Products||Support services for pharmaceutical and medical device|
|Employees||~ 1,400+ (2012)|
Medpace is a Contract Research Organization (CRO).
CROs are clinical research partners for drug developers in the pharmaceutical and biotech industries - conducting clinical trials that are required by the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) and other global regulatory organizations before drugs and medical devices are approved for human use. CROs were developed in the late 70s as a response to pharmaceutical companies’ needs for outsourcing partners to handle larger and more complex clinical studies, and reduce fixed costs of drug developers.
Medpace provides services for Phase I-IV of drug and medical device development services including regulatory services and central laboratory services. Medpace conducts studies in approximately 40 countries and employs approximately 1,400 people in 19 global offices. Medpace is considered a mid size CRO.
Medpace was founded in 1992 in Cincinnati, Ohio as Medical Research Services by Dr. August Troendle with several partners. Dr. Troendle first became interested in the CRO sector after working in both the regulatory and pharmaceutical area. He began his career specializing in the development of lipid lowering therapies to treat high cholesterol as a reviewer with the FDA.
Medpace with a team of industry physicians, Dr. Jonathan Issacsohn and Dr. Evan Stein completed many early studies while at Medpace and Medpace Reference Laboratories on the use of statin therapies for the treatment of hypercholesterolemia. Another Medpace physician, Dr. David Orloff is regarded as an industry opinion leader in the study of metabolic diseases - most specifically diabetes and obesity. Dr. Troendle was honored for his work as a Medpace founder in 2012 by the Cincinnati Chamber of Commerce.
Medpace completed construction on a new campus in 2012 in Madisonville, a village in the city of Cincinnati. This was a project completed in cooperation with Madisonville, the City of Cincinnati Department of Economic Development, and the State of Ohio. The project encompassed revitalizing an urban brownfield site formerly occupied by NuTone, and creating a state of the art LEED certified campus.
In 2011 and 2012 Medpace was given the Eagle Award, an industry award by investigative sites for criteria including professionalism, partnership, efficiencies and financial considerations
- 2007-Medpace acquires Monax in the Czech Republic
- 2009-Medpace acquires PharmaBrains AG in Switzerland
- 2010-Medpace acquires Symbios, a medical device consultancy in Minneapolis, MN
- 2010-Medpace acquires Medical Consulting Dr. Schlichtiger, GmbH, in Germany
- 2012-Medpace acquires MediTech BV, a medical device consultancy in the Netherlands.
- Hutton, David (July 2010). "Stepping Out from Behind the Curtain". Drug Discovery News. Retrieved 11 April 2013.
- "Report, Mid size CRO performance". Industry Standard Research. June 2011. Retrieved 10 April 2013.
- "Cinven to acquire Medpace in $900 million deal". Reuters. 23 Feb 2014. Retrieved 24 Feb 2014.
- Jonathan Isaacsohn M.D., William Insull JR., M.D., Evan Stein M.D.Ph.D., Peter Kwiterovich M.D., Ma Patrick M.D., Ronald Brazg M.D., Carlos A. Dujovne M.D., Michael Shan PH.D., Elizabeth Shugrue-Crowley B.S., Steven Ripa M.D., Robert Tota M.D. (February 3, 2009). "Long-Term Efficacy and Safety of Cerivastatin 0.8 mg in Patients with Primary Hypercholesterolemia". Clinical Cardiology 24 (Supplement S4): 1–9. doi:10.1002/clc.4960240902/abstract.
- Orloff, David. "Interview with Dr. David Orloff". August 23, 2011. Pharmaceutical Business Review. Retrieved 10 April 2013.
- Hirt, Amy. "Courier Contributor". Cincinnati Business Courier. The Business Journals Digital Network. Retrieved 9 April 2013.
- "Medpace Construction Ranks 3rd behind downtown mega projects". April 2010. Retrieved 10 April 2013.
- "Brownfield Redevelopment". www.cincinnati-oh.gov. Retrieved 9 April 2013.
- "U.S. Sites Rate Medpace, Kendle, ICON as Top CROs in 2009". June 2009. Retrieved 9 April 2013.
- "http://www.pharmatimes.com/Article/07-08-22/Medpace_acquires_Czech_CRO_Monax.aspx". August 2007. Retrieved 10 April 2013.
- "Medpace acquires Symbios". April 8, 2010. Pharmacy News EU. Retrieved 11 April 2013.
- "Medpace acquires European CRO". January 2010. Retrieved 10 April 2013.
- Morrison, Natalie (November 2012). "http://www.outsourcing-pharma.com/Commercial-Services/Medpace-boost-EU-device-offering-through-Meditech-takeover". Outsourcing Pharma. Retrieved 11 April 2013.