16 September 1977
Chennai, Tamil Nadu, India
|Occupation||Actress, model, singer, dancer, Judge, TV host, occasional dubbing artiste|
|Years active||1982 – present|
Meena Durairaj, mononymously known as Meena, is an Indian actress who has starred as lead heroine in South Indian film industry. She has started her career as a child artist at the age of four in 1982 and acted in Tamil, Telugu, Malayalam, Kannada and several Hindi films. She is one of the most established actresses in South Indian film industry. In addition to acting, Meena also a top model, singer, dancer, TV host and occasional dubbing artiste..
Meena was born in Chennai to a Tamil father Durairaj and a Malayali mother Raj Mallika from Chirakkal Palace-Kannur Dist. She was enrolled in Vidyodhya schools in Chennai. Because of her busy acting schedule she had to discontinue schooling in the 8th standard, later taking up private coaching and completing the 10th standard. She went on to get her MA in History from the University of Madras through the open university system in 2006. Meena is a trained Bharathanatyam dancer and speaks six languages: Tamil, Telugu, Hindi, Malayalam, Kannada and English.
Her mother has played a pivotal role in shaping her career and acted as her guide advisor. Meena has always credited her mother for standing behind her as a pillar of strength. When the make up artists failed to turn up at a remote village in Kakinada during the movie shoot of "Bobbili Simham" in 1994, it is known that Roja did Meena's hairstyles for those two days for a song involving Meena and was much appreciated by Meena herself. Roja and Meena are best friends. Other best friends are actress Sanghavi, Sneha, Sridevi Vijaykumar, Maheswari, Ramba and Devayani.
Meena married Vidyasagar on 12 July 2009s at Tirumala Venkateswara Temple, Andhra Pradesh. Vidyasagar is a Bangalore-based Software Engineer. The couple has a daughter Nainika born on 1 January 2011 at Chennai.
Meena started her career in 1982 as a child artist in the film Nenjangal, featuring Dr. Sivaji Ganesan in the lead role, after Ganesan saw her at a birthday party. Meena was still very young at that time she was doing child roles. Her mother Rajamallika brought her to A.M.Ratnam's office for an offer. Even though she looked chubby, they felt she fitted the bill. Even she acts several films along with Dr. Sivaji Ganesan and Rajinikanth as a child artist. It is a well known fact that Meena act in Kollywood by appearing as a child artiste alongside Rajinikanth in the movie 'Anbulla Rajinikanth. After success of that movie she became one of the famous child artist in South Indian movies. She says of Ganesan that "I feel extremely proud to have been discovered by the legend". Since then, she has appeared in over 45 films as a child artiste.
Lead female roles
She made her debut in Telugu beside the legend Akkineni Nageswara Rao in Seetharamaiah Gari Manavaralu whereas Meena played his granddaughter Seeta.The film was showcased among the Indian panorama section, at the 1991 International Film Festival of India. The film was made under the banner VMC Productions. She wins Nandi Award for Best Actress from the Government of Andhra Pradesh - for Seetharamaiah Gari Manavaralu.
While She made her debut in Tamil in Oru Pudiya Kadhai, and also starred in Telugu and Kannada films. Her first role in Malayalam that gained attention was in Santhwanam Which remade of Seetharamaiah Gari Manavaralu and directed by Sibi Malayil in 1991. Meena has expressed a wish to do more films in Malayalam. She says of her transition from being a child star to being a heroine that "Memories as a child are really fabulous and I still cherish them. And it is still more special as that phase is over. Now, I am enjoying my stint as a heroine."
She has played the role of the leading heroines in Telugu and Tamil films since the early 90s, often playing characters with unidimensional personality with no negativity or gray shades. She has generally avoided glamorous roles though she has acted in a few like Maaman Magal in Tamil opposite Sathyaraj and some movies with Ravichandran in Kannada. In the Kannada remake of Autograph as My Autograph, were directed, produced and enacted by Sudeep. In this film Meena starred Sneha's role of Divya.
She has acted with south super stars like Rajinikanth, Dr.Kamal Haasan, Chiranjeevi, Dr.Vishnuvardhan, Krishna, Dr.Mammootty, Dr.Mohanlal, Balakrishna, Ravichandran and other stars like Vijayakanth, Nagarjuna, Venkatesh[disambiguation needed].Ajith Kumar, Prabhu Deva, Sarathkumar, K. Bhagyaraj, Jayaram, Suresh Gopi, Prashanth, Kichcha Sudeep, Raviteja, Eventually herself becoming a star. She had great hits with film like Nattamai film directed by K. S. Ravikumar. It starred Sarath Kumar, Meena and Kushboo in the lead roles. The film became a blockbuster and completed a 175-day run at the box office (1994). She just grabs the continuous offer and the opportunity to act in super hits films like Avvai Shanmughi (1996) with Kamal Haasan, Porkkaalam with Murali (1997), Bharathi Kannamma (1997) with Parthiban and so on.
Meena has acted both as a child and as an adult opposite Rajnikanth. Her first hit with Rajinikanth was Yejaman where she plays the role of Vaitheeswari simple village girl who marries the SuperstarRajinikanth. She always played the quiet, serious woman. In her follow-up movie with Rajini, Veera, Meena again dazzled. Romantic-comedy film. Rajinikanth, Meena and Roja (actress) in lead role. This film was controversial for its climax but went on to become one of the highest grossing films in 1994. But the film that brought her true recognition and fame was “Muthu”, one of Rajini’s biggest hits. The movie was a blockbuster all across Japan. Ranganayaki the talkative, cheeky street theatre actress won the hearts of audience. This film directed by K. S. Ravikumar and produced by K. Balachander, and became the first Tamil film to be dubbed into Japanese, as Mutu: Odoru Maharaja.  The film grossed a record $1.6 million in Japan in 1998 and was responsible for creating a large Japanese fan-base for Rajinikanth and Meena. Following the release of Muthu in Japan and its commercial success, Meena's popularity rose in Japan. With three hit Rajini movies in a row, Meena’s chemistry with the Superstar on-screen was undeniable.
Meena accepted to appear in an item number as herself in the K. S. Ravi - directed film Shahjahan (film) starring Vijay (actor). She has acted with almost all leading actors in South India. A role in Kadha Parayumbol and in its Tamil and Telugu remakes, Kuselan and Kathanayakudu respectively, were well received by audiences. Meena has expressed regret about Kuselan, after her part was overshadowed.
Meena has said that her own favorite roles were in Bharathi Kannamma and Shock in Tamil, Seetharamaiah Gari Manavaralu in Telugu, Santhwanam in Malayalam and Swathi Muthu in Kannada, "though every film of mine is close to my heart."
Meena's releases in 2009 were Mariyadhai with Vijayakanth Directed by Vikraman, who earlier directed hits like Poove Unakkaga (1996) and Vanathai Pola (2000). Meena's continues releases Katha, Samvidhanam: Kunchacko with Sreenivasan. She played the Telugu Saint Vengamamba in Tarigonda Vengamamba, directed by Uday Bhaskar.
In 2011, She played the role of Narain's sister in the movie named Thambikottai, in this movie Poonam Bajwa is the pair for Narain. Other actors in this movie include Prabhu and Santhanam. Which is running well in cinema's. While Her role in this movie was very good and well accepted.
After marriage she paired with Ramesh Aravind in the film Hendtheera Darbar. The film was a remake of Varavu Ettana Selavu Pathana that starred Nassar, Radhika, Goundamani, Senthil, Vadivelu and Kovai Sarala.
In 2012 Udaya Bhaskar is making a film titled as Sri Vasavi Vaibhavam. Meena is playing the Goddess' role in the film which also stars Suhasini, Priyahassan, Suman, Saikiran, Kannada Sridhar, Raghunatha Reddy and others. Meena is playing the lead role in this Telugu devotional film. This marks her re-entry to films after a long period. After being a mother, we will get to see the sizzling Meena in this one. There are many graphic-significant episodes. The film has music by Arjun Sharma. Cinematography is by Raman Ji. Directed by Uday Baskar. The film is said to be released around mid-august.
Meena, all time favorite actress of actor Vijay was rumored to have been roped into a movie name " Sattam our iruttarai" which was a remake of the movie under the same name by his father and director, S.A.Chandrasekhar. The movie is said to be produced by Actor's Vijay new launched production house, Ghilli Productions. But since Meena refused the offer, Reema Sen was finalized to play the role of a Police Office in this film and the sister to the hero.   
Recently, the actress was approached by a Mollywood director to play Lal's wife with a woman-centric film with several actresses, including Rima Kallingal. "It had an interesting subject, but I wanted something more for my character. There were a lot of women in the film and everybody's got a story. I was more interested in a story focussing on a single woman character and that's why I haven't signed up for the movie," she says. Actress Meena who had taken a temporary break from acting, will be facing the arc lights once again. Sources say, The actress will soon be seen sharing space with actor Prakash Raj, in an ad film. It seems she has agreed to star in an ad film, and she is currently shooting near Kovalam with Prakash Raj. The commercial is being directed by producer Siva. Meanwhile Meena is currently in a Telugu film, Sri Vasavi Vaibhavam. She had played a cameo in J.K. Bharavi 's Jagadguru Adi Shankara-devotional film lastly and did justice to her roles.  
Apart from south Indian movie sector Meena got also famous in Tamil Television serial sector too. Meena could able to make top on TV Serial and acted several high-ranking TV serial in over 2005. Meena got great presentation skills and she also uses that skills do stage shows and TV shows in various TV channels in South India. Among these are Meena has appeared in television shows and soap operas:
- She acted as a married woman in a 1990 TV serial Anbulla Amma co-starring with Tamil actress Manorama.
- She hosted a game show on Jaya TV in 2005 called Houseful.
- She appeared as one of the judges for the first season of the dancing competition Masthana Masthana aired on Sun TV.
- She appeared on Sun TV's serial Lakshmi in 2006.
- She acted in the TV serial Mudda Mandaram on Gemini TV.
- She appeared in a serial on Sun TV in 2009 called Kalyanam, written by Pattukottai Prabhakar.
- She has appeared as one of the main judge for the second season of the dancing competition Boys VS Girls Season 2 aired on Star Vijay.
- Recently after giving birth to her daughter her first debut to television is Jodi Number One Season 5. She was a judge for one of the rounds aired on on Star Vijay.
- She was debuted to act the sun tv serial thiruppam.
- She is currently hosting Nee Kongu Bangaram Ganu on Maa tv starting from 18 June 2012.
- She is representing as a Judge in Veera Multi talen show on E tv from 2 August 2012.
- She made a grand entry as the main judge in Sun TV reality show Super Kudumbam in August 2012 along with Suganya & Gangaiamaran.
- She has judge Bharthakkanmaarude Sradhakku, a reality show on Asianet.
- she has been acted in anubhandalu serial on Gemini tv
Meena has been a playback singer for some albums with actor Manoj. She sang a song for the Tamil film Kadhal Sadugudu. Meena has composed music and sung and recorded two pop albums, 16 Vayathinile, and Kadhalism, which she began recording in 2001 with actor Vikram. Meena has been a playback singer in the music of D. Imman in the movie sena and the song is "indru intha kalayil en nenjil echo aachu", a super hit song.
|1982||Nenjangal||Kidnapped child||Tamil||Child artiste|
|Enkeyo Ketta Kural||Daughter to Rajinikanth||Tamil||Child artiste|
|Theerpugal Thiruthapadalam||Daughter to SivaKumar||Tamil||Child artiste|
|1983||Thandikkapatta Niyayangal||Playful child||Tamil||Child artiste|
|Sumangali||Doll-selling girl||Tamil||Child artiste|
|1984||Thiruppam||Baby Meena||Tamil||Child artiste|
|Illalu Priyuralu||Baby Meena||Telugu||Child Artiste|
|Anbulla Rajinikanth||Rosy||Tamil||Child artiste|
|Oru Kochu Kadha Parayatha Kadha||Rajani||Malayalam||Child artiste|
|1985||panneer nadhigal||Tamil||Child artiste|
|Uyire Unakkaga||Nadhiya as a child||Tamil||Child artiste|
|Lakshmi Vanthachu||Playful child||Tamil||Child artiste|
|Kettimelam||Baby Meena||Tamil||Child artiste|
|Rendu Rella Aaru||Baby Meena||Telugu||Child artiste|
|1988||Vasanthi||Baby Meena||Tamil||Child artiste|
|1989||Prajala Manishi||Telugu||Child artiste|
|Paape Naa Pranam||Telugu||Child artiste|
|1990||Oru Pudhiya Kadhai||Lover to a writer||Tamil|
|Seetharamayya Gari Manavaralu||Seetha||Telugu||Nandi Award for Best Actress
Cinema Express Awards for Best Actress – Telugu
|1991||En Rasavin Manasile||Cholaiamma||Tamil|
|Idhaya Oonjal||Wife of a widower||Tamil|
|1992||Parda Hai Parda||Hindi|
|Allari Pilla||Funny girl||Telugu|
|President Gari Pellam||Wife||Telugu|
|Pellam Chepte Vinali||Geetha||Telugu|
|Moratodu Naa Mogudu||Telugu|
|1993||Sethupathi IPS||Chandramathi||Tamil||Tamil Nadu State Film Award for Best Actress|
|Yejaman||Vaitheeswari Vaanavaraayan||Tamil||Tamil Nadu State Film Award for Best Actress
Filmfare Award for Best Actress – Tamil
|Rajeshwari Kalyanam||Rajeshwari||Telugu||Nandi Award for Best Actress|
|Abbaigaru||Wife of Venkatesh||Telugu|
|Nattamai||Meena||Tamil||Cinema Express Awards for Best Actress – Tamil|
|Putnanja||Kannada||Cinema Express Awards for Best Actress – Kannada|
|Punya Bhoomi Naa Desam||Swathi||Telugu|
|Oru Oorla Oru Rajakumari||Tamil|
|Muthu||Ranganayaki||Tamil||Cinema Express Awards for Best Actress – Tamil|
|Avvai Shanmugi||Janaki||Tamil||Cinema Express Awards for Best Actress – Tamil
|Porkkaalam||Maragatham||Tamil||Tamil Nadu State Film Award for Best Actress|
|Bharathi Kannamma||Kannamma||Tamil||Tamil Nadu State Film Award for Best Actress
Filmfare Award for Best Actress – Tamil
Cinema Express Awards for Best Actress – Tamil
|Naam Iruvar Nammaku Iruvar||Indu||Tamil|
|Gilli Kajjalu||Satya bhama||Telugu|
|1999||Unnaruge Naan Irundhal||Mahalakshimi (Maha)||Tamil|
|Manam Virumbuthe Unnai||Priya||Tamil|
|Olympiyan Anthony Adam||Angel||Malayalam|
|Sneham Kosam||Prabhavati 'Prabha' 'Guddiya'||Telugu|
|2000||Vanathai Pola||Gowri Muthu||Tamil|
|Thenali||Meena (Herself)||Tamil||Special Appearance|
|Pape Naa Pranam||Priya||Telugu|
|Palayathu Amman||Palayathu Amman||Tamil|
|Vetri Kodi Kattu||Valli Muthuraman||Tamil|
|Rhythm||Chitra||Tamil||Filmfare Awards South - Critics Awards for Best Tamil Actress|
|Sri Manjunatha||Goddess Parvathi||Telugu / Kannada|
|Namma Veetu Kalyanam||Tamil|
|Ivan||Meena Kumari||Tamil||Tamil Nadu State Film Award for Best Actress|
|Padai Veetu Amman||Padai Veetu Amman,
|Angala Parameswari||Angala Parameswari Amman||Tamil|
|Swathi Muthu||Lalitha||Kannada||Filmfare Award for Best Actress – Kannada|
|Game for Love||Kannada|
|Udayananu Tharam||Madhumathi Udayabhanu||Malayalam|
|Puttintiki Raa Chelli||Wife||Telugu|
|2007||Kadha Parayumbol||Sridevi Balan||Malayalam|
|2008||Kuselan||Sridevi Balakrishnan||Tamil||Simultaneously made in Telugu as Kathanayakudu|
|Katha, Samvidhanam: Kunchacko||Ann Mary||Malayalam|
|2012||Sri Vasavi Vaibhavam||Telugu|
|2013||Sri Jagadguru Aadi Sankara||Parvathy||Telugu|
Awards and honours
||This section of a biographical article needs additional citations for verification. (September 2011)|
- Sri Krishna Devaraya award for meena 2013 from rosaiyah
- Kalaimamani Award (1998)
- Kalai Selvam Award (South Indian Artiste Association)
- TSR TV9 awards 2010
- Ugadi Puraskar awards
- Best Tamil Actress – Bharathi Kannamma (1997)
- Best Tamil Actress – Ejamaan (1991)
- Critics Awards for Best Tamil Actress – Rhythm (2001)
- Best Kannada Actress – Swathi Muthu (2003)
- Best Actress – Sethupathi IPS (1992)
- Best Actress – Bharathi Kannamma (1996)
- Best Actress – Porkkaalam(1997)
- Best Actress – Ivan (2002)
- Best Actress – Seetharamaiah Gari Manavaralu 1990 (Telugu)
- Best Actress – Nattamai 1994 (Tamil)
- Best Actress – Muthu 1995 (Tamil)
- Best Actress – Avvai Shanmugi 1995 (Tamil)
- Best Actress – Bharathi Kannamma 1997 (Tamil)
- Best Actress – Putnanja 1995 (Kannada)
- Best Janaranja nadigai award
- Dinakaran Award
- Best Actress – Avvai Shanmugi (1996)
- Film Fans Associations 45th Annual Award
- Best Actress – Putnanja (1995)
- Kala Sagar Award
- Best Actress – Chanti (1992)
- Thumbs Up Awards
- Lalitha Kalanjali Award
- Best Actress – Chanti (1992)
- "Meena weds Vidyasagar" indiaglitz.com, 13 July 2009. Retrieved 16 September 2012
- Athira M. (2013-05-29). "A different scene". The Hindu. Retrieved 2013-09-23.
- George, Vijay (19 March 2005). "Leading lady". The Hindu (Chennai, India). Retrieved 2009-05-01.
- "Meena weds Vidyasagar at Tirumala". Sify Movies. 12 July 2009. Retrieved 16 January 2013.
- "Meena delivers a baby girl". Oneindia. 3 January 2011. Retrieved 5 April 2011.
- Ramanujam, Srinivasa (10 August 2008). "'I am the heroine'". Times of India. Retrieved 2009-05-01.
- "Vijaykanth's 'Mariyadai' for a summer release". msn entertainment. 19 February 2009. Retrieved 2009-05-02.
- "Sreenivasan and Meena together once again!". FilmySouth. 3 October 2008. Retrieved 2009-05-02.
- "Meena to play Saint Vengamamba". Filmsouth. 2 April 2009. Retrieved 2009-05-01.
- "All about 'Thambikkottai'". IndiaGlitz. 30 September 2009. Retrieved 2012-09-16.
- "Meena is back to Tamil". IndiaGlitz. 28 October 2009. Retrieved 2012-09-16.
- "Meena for a Kannada remake". IndiaGlitz. 6 November 2009. Retrieved 2012-09-16.
- "Meena as Shakthi in 'Sri Vasavi Vaibhavam'". IndiaGlitz. 28 February 2012. Retrieved 2012-09-16.
- [dead link]
- "Vikram Prabhu, Karthika & Piaa come together?". IndiaGlitz. 19 March 2012. Retrieved 2012-09-16.
- South, Filmy (5 June 2012). "'Sattam Oru Iruttarai' remake: Troubled times". Entertainment.in.msn.com. Retrieved 2012-09-16.
- "Reemma Sen in Vijay's production!". IndiaGlitz. 25 April 2012. Retrieved 2012-09-16.
- "I’m still waiting for the right offer: Meena". The Times of India. 2013-03-03. Retrieved 2013-09-23.
- "Ayngaran International". Ayngaran.com. Retrieved 2012-09-16.
- V Lakshmi (2 July 2012). "Meena is back on screen!". The Times of India. Retrieved 2012-09-16.
- Pillai, Sreedhar (24 September 2005). "Meena's small screen debut". The Hindu (Chennai, India). Retrieved 2009-05-01.
- "Meena makes a TV debut". Screen India. 14 October 2005. Retrieved 2009-05-01.
- "Cinema Plus / TV Serials : New show". The Hindu. 2007-10-26. Retrieved 2013-09-23.
- "Lakshmi". The Hindu (Chennai, India). 21 July 2006. Retrieved 2009-05-01.
- "Friday Review Chennai and Tamil Nadu". The Hindu (Chennai, India). 27 February 2009. Retrieved 2009-05-01.
- Media, Sampurn. "Second innings for actress Meena". The New Indian Express. Retrieved 2013-09-23.
- "Meena to debut on Malayalam television". The Times of India. TNN. 2013-05-30. Retrieved 2013-09-23.
- Kumar, S. R. Ashok (11 April 2003). "Few in the race this time". The Hindu. Retrieved 2009-05-01.
- "I will make the public know there is a good actor in Vikram". Tamil Guardian. 27 June 2001. Retrieved 2009-05-01.
- Waheed, Sajahan (27 September 2001). "Meena's album delayed". New Straits Times. Retrieved 2009-05-01.
- "Prasanna and Meena in 'Pokkisham'". IndiaGlitz. 19 August 2009. Retrieved 2012-09-16.
- "51st Annual Manikchand Filmfare South Award winners". Times of India. 4 June 2004. Retrieved 2009-05-01.
- "Shock stars Prasanth, Meena". Screen India. 4 June 2004. Retrieved 2009-05-01.
- "Meena's Malayalam comeback". The Hindu (Chennai, India). 26 April 2004. Retrieved 2009-05-01.
- Sreekumaran, P. (26 December 2006). "Meena's magic still fascinates Malayali film fans". apunkachoice. Retrieved 2009-05-01.
- "TSR awards ceremony on April 10th". IndiaGlitz. 7 April 2011. Retrieved 2012-09-16.
- "Ugadi Puraskar awards for women". The Hindu (Chennai, India). 16 March 2010.
- "??". The Times of India. Retrieved 2012-09-16.
- Meena at the Internet Movie Database
- "Meena: I prefer to do roles which is not similar to my earlier films". Indiaglitz. 29 April 2005. Retrieved 2009-05-01.