Meera Nanda (born 1954) is an Indian writer, historian and philosopher of science with a PhD from Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute. She was a John Templeton Foundation Fellow in Religion and Science (2005–2007). In January 2009, she was a Fellow at the Jawaharlal Nehru Institute for Advanced Study, in the Jawaharlal Nehru University for research in Science, Post-Modernism and Culture. Currently, she is a visiting faculty of history and philiosophy of science at Indian Institute of Science Education and Research, Mohali.
She has authored several works on religion, most notably Prophets Facing Backward: Postmodern Critiques of Science and Hindu Nationalism in India (2004), and her 2009 book The God Market which examines how India is experiencing a rising tide of popular Hinduism, including Government of India financing of Hinduism despite the nation's secular characteristic. The book was also reviewed by William Dalrymple in Outlook Magazine.
Criticisms have been leveled against Nanda by Swaminathan Venkataraman of the Hindu American Foundation in response to claims made by Nanda that Yoga has no link to Hinduism, such as her views being colored by her alleged hatred for Swami Vivekanada, and that Nanda fears "the emergence of an articulate, credible, and professional Hindu voice that is bringing authentic, apolitical Hindu perspectives into the public sphere."
- Ayurveda Today : A Critical Look, with C. Viswanathan. Penguin. ISBN 9780143065128.
- Postmodernism And Religious Fundamentalism: A Scientific Rebuttal To Hindu Science. Pub: Navayana. 2000. ISBN 81-89059-02-5.
- Breaking the Spell of Dharma and Other Essays. New Delhi: Three Essays Collective. 2002. ISBN 81-88394-09-2.
- Prophets Facing Backward: Postmodern Critiques of Science and the Hindu Nationalism in India. New Brunswick: Rutgers University Press, 2004. ISBN 81-7824-090-4. Excerpts
- Wrongs of the Religious Right: Reflections on secularism, science and Hindutva. New Delhi: Three Essays Collective, 2005. ISBN 81-88789-30-5
- The God Market. Random House, 2010. ISBN 81-8400-095-2.
- Society/Essays: Sangh Parivar, The Pizza-Maker, (2003) Outlook
- ESSAY: Postmodernism, Hindu nationalism and `Vedic science' (2003) Frontline
- PERSPECTIVE: Is India a science superpower? (2005) Frontline
- DEBATE: Vedic creationism in America. (2006) Frontline
- Book Review: "The God Market: How Globalization is making India more Hindu" (2010)
- Meera Nanda Posts and Profile
- Ranjit Hoskote (21 November 2006). "In defence of secularism". The Hindu.
- Meera Nanda Profile Three Essays.
- List of scholars invited to JNIAS JNIAS Jawaharlal Nehru University website.
- Ranjit Hoskote (3 May 2005). "Book Review: Paradigm shift". The Hindu.
- William Dalrymple (18 January 2010). "Review: The Glitter in The Godliness". Outlook (magazine). Retrieved 8 September 2013.
- "Books: A market for holy men: How globalization has had an impact on Hinduism and our public sphere". Mint. 21 August 2009.
- Swaminathan Venkataraman (7 March 2011). "Disguised Hinduphobia". OPEN Magazine. Retrieved 7 March 2011.