Meet Mr Mulliner
Meet Mr. Mulliner is a collection of short stories by P. G. Wodehouse. First published in the United Kingdom on September twenty-seventh, 1927 by Herbert Jenkins, and in the United States on March second, 1928 by Doubleday, Doran. It introduces the irrepressible pub raconteur Mr. Mulliner, who narrates all nine of the book's stories. The last story, "Honeysuckle Cottage", was not originally a Mr. Mulliner story; it was given a Mulliner frame for the book, and is the only one of the stories which is not explicitly narrated from the bar-parlour of the Anglers' Rest public house.
The original story titles and publication dates were as follows:
- "The Truth about George"
- "A Slice of Life"
- U.K.: Strand, August 1926
- U.S.: Liberty, 7 August 1926
- "Mulliner's Buck-U-Uppo"
- U.K.: Strand, November 1926
- U.S.: Liberty, 4 September 1926
- "The Bishop's Move"
- U.K.: Strand, September 1927
- U.S.: Liberty, 20 August 1927
- "Came the Dawn"
- U.K.: Strand, July 1927
- U.S.: Liberty, 11 June 1927
- "The Story of William"
- U.K.: Strand, May 1927
- U.S.: Liberty, 9 April 1927 (as "It Was Only a Fire")
- "Portrait of a Disciplinarian"
- U.K.: Strand, October 1927
- U.S.: Liberty, 24 September 1927
- "The Romance of a Bulb-Squeezer"
- U.K.: Strand, March 1927
- U.S.: Liberty, 12 March 1927
- "Honeysuckle Cottage"
- U.K.: Strand, February 1925
- U.S.: Saturday Evening Post, 24 January 1925
- Mr. Mulliner Speaking (1929) and Mulliner Nights (1933) - Two other collections of Mulliner stories
- Complete list of Wodehouse's Mr. Mulliner stories
References and sources
- McIlvaine, E., Sherby, L.S. and Heineman, J.H. (1990) P.G. Wodehouse: A comprehensive bibliography and checklist. New York: James H. Heineman, pp. 53-54. ISBN 087008125X
- "Meet Mr. Mulliner". The Russian Wodehouse Society. Retrieved July 4, 2005.