Meetings, incentives, conferencing, exhibitions
Meetings, incentives, conferences, and exhibitions (MICE, with the “E” sometimes referring to events and the “C” sometimes referring to conventions) is a type of tourism in which large groups, usually planned well in advance, are brought together for a particular purpose. Recently, there has been an industry trend towards using the term 'meetings industry' to avoid confusion from the acronym. Other industry educators are recommending the use of "events industry" to be an umbrella term for the vast scope of the meeting and events profession.
Most components of MICE are well understood, perhaps with the exception of incentives. Incentive tourism is usually undertaken as a type of employee reward by a company or institution for targets met or exceeded, or a job well done. Unlike the other types of MICE tourism, incentive tourism is usually conducted purely for entertainment, rather than professional or education purposes.
MICE tourism usually includes a well-planned agenda centered on a theme or topic, such as profession trade organization, a special interest group or an education topic. Such tourism is often a specialized area with its own exhibition (e.g., IMEX, EIBTM, GIBTM, AIBTM, CIBTM. and AIME) and practices.
MICE event locations are normally bid on by specialized convention bureaux in particular countries and cities and established for the purpose of bidding on MICE activities. This process of marketing and bidding is normally conducted well in advance of the event, often several years, as securing major events can benefit the local economy of the host city or country. Convention bureaux may offer financial subsidies to attract MICE events to their city.
MICE tourism is known for its extensive planning and demanding clientele.
- "Definition of "MICE"". thefreedictionary.com. Retrieved 2009-07-30.
- "Definition of "MICE"". International Congress & Convention Association. Retrieved 2007-05-30.
- "Society of Incentive & Travel Executives". Retrieved 2007-05-30.
- "IMEX: The Worldwide Exhibition for Incentive Travel, Meetings and Events". Retrieved 2007-05-30.
- EIBTM – The Global Meetings & Events Exhibition, Barcelona, Spain,
- GIBTM – The Gulf Incentive, Business Travel & Meetings Exhibition, Abu Dhabi, UAE,
- AIBTM – The Americas Meetings & Events Exhibition, Baltimore, USA,
- CIBTM – The China Incentive, Business Travel & Meetings Exhibition, Beijing, China,
- AIME – The Asia-Pacific Meetings Expo, Melbourne, Australia
- "Conclusions of the International Seminar on MICE Tourism and Business Tourism, Santiago, Chile, 25–26 May 2005". World Tourism Organization. Retrieved 2007-05-30.