|Type of site||Social networking|
|Available language(s)||English, Spanish, German, French, Italian, Portuguese|
|Launched||June 12, 2002|
|Alexa rank||467 (August 2012[update])|
Meetup is an online social networking portal that facilitates offline group meetings in various localities around the world. Meetup allows members to find and join groups unified by a common interest, such as politics, books, games, movies, health, pets, careers or hobbies. Users enter their postal code or their city and the topic they want to meet about, and the website helps them arrange a place and time to meet. Topic listings are also available for users who only enter a location. Meetup receives revenue by charging Organizer Dues to administrators of groups, currently at $12 to $19 per month depending on the payment plan.
Meetup, Inc. is based in New York City.
Following the September 11 attacks, the site's co-founder Scott Heiferman publicly stated that the manner in which people in New York City came together in the aftermath of that traumatic event inspired him to use the Internet to make it easier for people to connect with strangers in their community.
As of April 2013, the company claimed to have 13.4 million members in 196 countries and 125,247 groups, although these figures may include inactive members and groups.
- Jeffries, Adrianne (January 21, 2011). "The Long and Curious History of Meetup.com". The New York Observer. Retrieved October 11, 2013.
- "Meetup.com Site Info". Alexa Internet. Retrieved 2012-08-02.
- Celia Sankar, "Meetup CEO talks about doing what you love," November 16, 2011.
- "About". Meetup. Retrieved 2013-06-16.
|Look up Meetup in Wiktionary, the free dictionary.|
- Official website
- Jim Cashel, "Interview with Scott Heiferman, MEETUP[dead link]," Online Community Report, August 2002.
- Debera Carlton Harrell, "Meetup.com Links Together the Like-minded," Seattle Post-Intelligencer, March 8, 2003.
- Chris Gray, "MeetUp.com Working to Become a Force in Politics," Knight Ridder, February 8, 2004.
- Nathan Kaiser, "Interview with Scott Heiferman," nPost, April 20, 2004.
- "Video with Interview with Meetup Founder & CEO Scott Heiferman", explaining Meetup.com´s mission – The Meetup Organizer Boot Camp, June 10, 2009