|Launched||20 November 1989|
|Owned by||Teletypos S.A. (ΤΗΛΕΤΥΠΟΣ Α.Ε.)|
|Picture format||16:9 (576i, SDTV)|
|Audience share||22.9% (23/9/2013 - 29/9/2013, AGB)|
|DVB-T||DIGEA 02 multiplex.|
|NOVA Greece||Channel 105|
|OTE TV||Channel 106|
Mega Channel, also known as Mega TV or just Mega, is a major television network in Greece. Teletypos S.A. was founded in 1989 under the name Teletypos Television Programmes S.A. and the trade name "MEGA CHANNEL." It was the first private television station in Greece, launched on air on November 20, 1989.
Mega's programming consists mainly of Greek programmes such as comedies, dramas, news, current affairs and entertainment shows. In recent years, Mega Channel has overtaken its main rival ANT1 as the most popular channel in Greece, largely due to hit shows like 50-50, Sto Para Pente' and Savvatogennimenes.
Current shows include:
- Anatropi (Backfall), - Current affairs talk show with focus on political issues, now in its 10th year, hosted by Giannis Pretenteris. Airs Mondays at 11:40pm.
- War Zone - Highly respected award winning documentary series, which takes its viewers to the world’s hot spots and to the centre of international news developments, first aired in 2003, hosted by Sotiris Danezis.Airs monthly, dates announced in advance
- Mega Gegonota (Mega News), Daily newscast in Greek featuring news from Greece and around the world. Airs daily 2pm & 8pm (8pm newscast hosted by Olga Tremi on weekdays and Nikos Stravelakis on weekends) with updates at 4:50pm and 1:15am.
- Koinonia Ora MEGA (Community Time Mega), - A revamped version of its predecessor (Koinonia Ora 8). Current affairs show that examines the issues affecting everyday people in Greece and abroad. Features discussion with in-studio guests. The show is hosted by Giorgos Oikonomeas and Dimitris Kampourakis. Airs Monday - Friday at 7am.
- Mega Savvatokyriako (Mega Weekend), - Morning show for the Weekend. It features news, sports highlights, current affairs and more. Hosted by Iordanis Hasapopoulou and Μanolis Anagnostakis. Airs Saturdays & Sundays at 7am.
- Ereuna (Research);p A talk show, with focus on events from all over the world, hosted by Paulos Tsimas.
- Protagonistes (Stars), - A documentary-based show, which includes various strange stories about people's lives and biographical portraits, hosted by Stavros Theodorakis
- Proino Mou (My morning) - Lifestyle program features entertainment, music and more. Hosted by Giorgos Liagas & Faye Skorda. Airs Mondays - Fridays at 10am.
- I Kipouri tou Mega (The Gardeners of Mega) - Reality garden make-over show. Airs Saturdays at 6pm.
- Kapse to Senario (Burn the Script) - The Greek version of Whose Line is it Anyway?, first aired during the 2011-2012 season and renewed for a second season in 2013. Airs Fridays at 10pm.
- Food and the City - Documentary culinary show exploring local Athenian food, hosted by Vasilis Kallidis. (2010–2011)
- Glykes Alchimies (Sweet Alchemies) - Cooking show focusing on desserts, hosted by famed pastry chef Stelios Parliaros. Aired 2009 - 2012, now on reruns. (show was picked up by Skai TV for new episodes)
- Master Chef - Greek version of popular British reality cooking competition, hosted by Eugenia Manolidou with chefs Lefteris Lazarou, Dimitris Skarmoutsos and Giannis Loukakos participating as judges. Season 2 premiered in 2012 and was hosted by Maria Synatsaki. However, the show was put on hiatus after the penultimate episode was aired, with no final being made by the production company. Talks about its future are underway.
- Junior MasterChef- Greek version of popular British reality cooking competition, hosted by Maria Mpekatorou. Season 1 premiered in fall 2011.
- Piso sto Spiti (Back to home), family comedy in its second season
- Klemmena Oneira (Stolen Dreams), soap opera, replacing Ta Mystika Tis Edem.
- Me ta pantelonia kato , family comedy series in its first season
- I Zoi tis allis (The life of the other), soap opera which ran for 4 seasons (September 2009-January 2012), based on the Mexican series Querida Enemiga (Beloved Enemy)
- Ta Mystika Tis Edem (The secrets of Eden), soap opera which ran for 4 seasons (September 2008-December 2011)
- Peninta-Peninta (50-50), comedy, ended-cancelled after third season due to financial crisis of the production and the channel.
- I Genia Ton 592€ (The generation of 592 euros), comedy
- I Polykatoikia (The apartment building), family comedy
- Koukles (Beautiful women), comedy/drama based on the American sitcom Girlfriends
- To Nisi (The island), drama based on the best-selling book The Island
- Oyk An Lavis Para Tou Mi Exontos(You can not take from someone who does not have),satirical animation comedy
- Patty, i pio omorfi istoria (Patty, the most beautiful story, original title Patito Feo), Argentinian teen comedy/drama
- Kliniki Periptwsi (Clinical Situation), comedy based on the British sitcom Doc Martin, ended-cancelled after one season due to financial crisis of the production and the channel.
- Me lene Vaggeli (My name is Vaggelis), comedy based on the American sitcom My Name Is Earl
- Oi Basiliades (The Kings), daily family comedy based on the Argentinian sitcom-telenovela "Los Roldan", replacing I Zoi tis allis, ended-cancelled after one season due to financial crisis of the production and the channel.
- UEFA Champions League, (Tuesday matches and highlights)
- 2000/2001 season: Ραντεβού στο Mega (Rendezvous on Mega)
- 2001/2002 season: Ραντεβού στο Mega (Rendezvous on Mega)
- 2002/2003 season: Meg & Ega/Όλοι Mega (Everybody (watch) Mega)
- 2003/2004 season: Meg & Ega/Όλοι Mega (Everybody (watch) Mega)
- 2004/2005 season: I love TV
- 2005/2006 season: Megalicious
- 2006/2007 season: Megalicious
- 2007/2008 season: Megalicious
- 2008/2009 season: Megalicious
- 2009/2010 (September 2009 - February 2010) season: Tο Mega είναι 20 (Mega is 20)
- 2009/2010 (15/02/2010): Mega mou (My Mega)
- 2010/2011 season: Mega mou (My Mega)
- 2011/2012 season: Mega mou (My Mega)
- 2012/2013 season: Mega mou (My Mega)
Logo and Copyrights
From 2005, many clips aired, all with the slogan "Megalicious". In 2005-2007 were in-studio and from 2007 are live action. The previous Mega channel logo consisted of the text 'MEGA', with 'ME' widened to the left and 'GA' widened to the right. "Meg" and "Ega" (a computer-generated imagery cat and a dog respectively) which appear frequently in the TV station's idents, especially at Christmas, Easter or summer, can be considered the mascots of the station. The old Mega Channel logo consisted of 10 or 12 multicolored lines, with MEGA in the middle and sometimes channel located at the bottom. The colors started from yellow, golden yellow, gold, mandarin, slightly orange (on either side), orange-rose, orange-pink, rose and pink.
MEGA Cosmos is the international network of Mega Channel that broadcasts the 'best of Mega' programming to Greeks abroad in North America, Africa, Asia and Australia. It was first launched as Mega Channel Australia in Australia and then rebranded to Mega Cosmos using a common feed for Australia and the US.
The channel first started broadcasting in Australia in 2000 but was taken off the air sometime later due to contractual problems. In late 2005, MEGA Cosmos returned to Australia thanks to a new deal signed with UBI World TV, a satellite platform that broadcast mainly foreign programming. In June 2012, UBI World TV ceased operations resulting in MEGA Cosmos once again being temporarily unavailable. As of January 2013, the channel is now available via TV Plus, an upstart satellite provider.
MEGA Cosmos originally launched in Canada in November 2001 via Odyssey Television Network but a contractual dispute in the summer of 2003 resulted in the removal of MEGA Cosmos programming from the Canadian airwaves. After a 4 year absence, a deal was struck with Ethnic Channels Group in 2007 to bring the channel back to Canada. In June 2012, Ethnic Channels Group lost the programming rights to the service and MEGA Cosmos Canada was subsequently shut down. The channel re-launched a short while later under a new agreement with Odyssey TV.
MEGA Cosmos launched in the USA in late 2000 on the Dish Network platform. On December 1, 2006 MEGA Cosmos moved from Dish Network to DirecTV, due to a contractual dispute. On April 1, 2011 MEGA Cosmos moved once again, this time to the Home2US platform, due to a lack of subscribers on DirecTV. The channel also became available on Ellas TV an (IPTV provider) at the same time. On December 5, 2012, MEGA Cosmos returned to Dish Network, after a 12 year absence.
Company's shareholder structure for 28/02/2011 (Shareholders owning 2.5% and above):
- Pegasus Publications S.A.: 26,82%
- Lambrakis Press S.A.: 22,11%
- BENBAY LIMITED: 5,09%
- BNP PARIBAS (SUISSE) SA:4,69%
- EFG BANK (MONACO) S.A.M.: 4,04%
- Premier Ltd: 3,49%
- Saran Holdings S.A.: 2,70%
- Tegopoulos Publications S.A.: 2,68%
- Teletypos Cyprus Ltd: 100% subsidiary (main business mainly in the purchase and sale of programmes, know-how etc. in the markets of Cyprus and the Middle East)
- LOGOS Informational and Cultural Company, Cyprus: owning 25%
- NETMED NV, Dutch cable television company: 12,5%
- Multichoice Hellas S.A., Greek cable television company: 42%, in 2003 33% were transferred to Teletypos Cyprus but already in 2004 all 42% were exchanged with a 12.5% participation in the Dutch cable television company NETMED NV
- MEGA Cosmos Canada
- Mega Channel Cyprus
- List of programs broadcast by Mega Channel
- List of Greek television channels
- "Mega Tv". Mega Tv. Retrieved 2012-01-15.
- "mega channel christmas ident 2003, meg and ega 2". YouTube. 2007-09-15. Retrieved 2011-05-12.