|Launched||20 November 1989|
|Owned by||Teletypos S.A. (ΤΗΛΕΤΥΠΟΣ Α.Ε.)|
|Picture format||16:9 (576i, SDTV)|
|Audience share||17.7% (28/4/2014 - 4/5/2014, AGB)|
|DVB-T||DIGEA 02 multiplex|
|NOVA Greece||Channel 105|
|OTE TV||Channel 106|
Mega Channel, also known as Mega TV or just Mega, is a major television network in Greece. Teletypos S.A. was founded in 1989 under the name Teletypos Television Programmes S.A. and the trade name MEGA CHANNEL. It was the first private television station in Greece, launched on air on November 20, 1989.
Mega's programming consists mainly of Greek programmes such as comedies, dramas, news, current affairs and entertainment shows. In recent years, Mega Channel has overtaken its main rival ANT1 as the most popular channel in Greece, largely due to hit shows like 50-50, Sto Para Pente and Savvatogennimenes.
Current programing for the 2013-2014 broadcasting season include:
News and information
- Anatropi (Backfall) - Current affairs talk show with focus on political issues, now in its 13th year, hosted by Giannis Pretenteris. Airs Mondays at 11:30pm.
- Erevna (Research) - A talk show, with focus on events from all over the world, hosted by Pavlos Tsimas.
- Koinonia Ora MEGA (Community Time MEGA) - A revamped version of its predecessor (Koinonia Ora 8). Current affairs show that examines the issues affecting everyday people in Greece and abroad. Features discussion with in-studio guests. The show is hosted by Giorgos Oikonomeas and Dimitris Kampourakis. Airs Monday - Friday at 7am.
- Mega Gegonota (Mega News) - Daily newscast in Greek featuring news from Greece and around the world. Airs daily 2pm & 8pm (8pm newscast hosted by Olga Tremi on weekdays and Nikos Stravelakis on weekends) with updates at 4:50pm and 1:15am.
- Mega Savvatokiriako (Mega Weekend) - Morning show for the Weekend. It features news, sports highlights, current affairs and more. Hosted by Iordanis Hasapopoulou and Μanolis Anagnostakis. Airs Saturdays & Sundays at 7am.
- Ola Gia Tin Igeia Mou (Everything for my health) - Talk show focusing on health and medicine hosted by Mihalis Kefalogiannis.
- Protagonistes (Stars) - A documentary-based show, which includes various strange stories about people's lives and biographical portraits, hosted by Stavros Theodorakis.
- Proino Mou (My morning) - Lifestyle program features entertainment, music and more. Hosted by Petros Kostopoulos. Airs Mondays - Fridays at 10am.
- Kato Partali - comedy series in its first season.
- Klemmena Oneira (Stolen Dreams) - soap opera in its third season; replaced Ta Mistika Tis Edem.
- Me Ta Pantelonia Kato (With the pants down) - family comedy series in its second season.
- Moderna Ikogeneia an adaptation of the American series Modern Family.
- Oi Vasiliades (The Kings) - daily family comedy based on the Argentinian sitcom-telenovela "Los Roldan". Premiered in 2011-2012 season, and was ended/canceled after one season due to financial crisis of the production and the channel. Was brought back for the 2013-2014 season to air 30 un-aired episodes.
- To Spiti Tis Emmas (Emma's House) - family comedy series in its first season.
- Drop Dead Diva, American comedy.
- Hatfields & McCoys, American Miniseries.
- Ekdikisi (İntikam), Turkish drama.
- Krimenes Alithies (Kızım Nerede?), Turkish drama.
- To Koriti Pou Agapisa (Bir Çocuk Sevdim), Turkish drama.
- Apo Tin Poli Erhomai (I come from the city) - culinary show in its first season that showcases food and culture in Istanbul, hosted by Maria Ekmekçioğlu.
- Celebrity Game Night - game show based off the American Hollywood Game Night, hosted by Smaragda Karydi.
- Dr. Cook - culinary teaching show in its first season, hosted by chef Giannis Loukakos.
- Horis Sintagi (Without a recipe) - culinary show in its first season that travels around Greece showcasing food and culture, hosted by chef Dimitris Skarmoutsos.
- Just the 2 Of Us - Reality singing contest in its second season, based off the British Just the Two of Us. The first season was hosted by Giorgos Kapoutzidis, while the second season is hosted by Zeta Makripoulia.
- Kapse to Senario (Burn the Script) - The Greek version of Whose Line is it Anyway?, first aired during the 2011-2012 season and renewed for a second season in 2013.
- Smart Face - street game show in its first season, hosted by Dimitris Ougarezos.
- Pame Mountial (Let's go to World Cup) - Greece national football team's road to the 2014 FIBA World Cup in Brazil.
- UEFA Champions League (Tuesday matches and highlights)
- 2000/2001 season: Ραντεβού στο Mega (Rendezvous on Mega)
- 2001/2002 season: Ραντεβού στο Mega (Rendezvous on Mega)
- 2002/2003 season: Meg & Ega/Όλοι Mega (Everybody watches Mega)
- 2003/2004 season: Meg & Ega/Όλοι Mega (Everybody watches Mega)
- 2004/2005 season: I love TV
- 2005/2006 season: Megalicious
- 2006/2007 season: Megalicious
- 2007/2008 season: Megalicious
- 2008/2009 season: Megalicious
- 2009/2010 (September 2009 - February 2010) season: Tο Mega είναι 20 (Mega is 20)
- 2009/2010 (15/02/2010): Mega mou (My Mega)
- 2010/2011 season: Mega mou (My Mega)
- 2011/2012 season: Mega mou (My Mega)
- 2012/2013 season: Mega mou (My Mega)
- 2013/2014 season: Mega mou (My Mega)
Logo and Copyrights
From 2005, many clips aired, all with the slogan "Megalicious". In 2005-2007 were in-studio and from 2007 are live action. The previous Mega channel logo consisted of the text 'MEGA', with 'ME' widened to the left and 'GA' widened to the right. "Meg" and "Ega" (a computer-generated imagery cat and a dog respectively) which appear frequently in the TV station's idents, especially at Christmas, Easter or summer, can be considered the mascots of the station. The old Mega Channel logo consisted of 10 or 12 multicolored lines, with MEGA in the middle and sometimes channel located at the bottom. The colors started from yellow, golden yellow, gold, mandarin, slightly orange (on either side), orange-rose, orange-pink, rose and pink.
MEGA Cosmos is the international network of Mega Channel that broadcasts the 'best of Mega' programming to Greeks abroad in North America, Africa, Asia and Australia. It was first launched as Mega Channel Australia in Australia and then rebranded to Mega Cosmos using a common feed for Australia and the US.
The channel first started broadcasting in Australia in 2000 but was taken off the air sometime later due to contractual problems. In late 2005, MEGA Cosmos returned to Australia thanks to a new deal signed with UBI World TV, a satellite platform that broadcast mainly foreign programming. In June 2012, UBI World TV ceased operations resulting in MEGA Cosmos once again being temporarily unavailable. As of January 2013, the channel is now available via TV Plus, an upstart satellite provider.
MEGA Cosmos originally launched in Canada in November 2001 via Odyssey Television Network but a contractual dispute in the summer of 2003 resulted in the removal of MEGA Cosmos programming from the Canadian airwaves. After a 4 year absence, a deal was struck with Ethnic Channels Group in 2007 to bring the channel back to Canada. In June 2012, Ethnic Channels Group lost the programming rights to the service and MEGA Cosmos Canada was subsequently shut down. The channel re-launched a short while later under a new agreement with Odyssey TV.
MEGA Cosmos launched in the USA in late 2000 on the Dish Network platform. On December 1, 2006 MEGA Cosmos moved from Dish Network to DirecTV, due to a contractual dispute. On April 1, 2011 MEGA Cosmos moved once again, this time to the Home2US platform, due to a lack of subscribers on DirecTV. The channel also became available on Ellas TV (an IPTV provider) at the same time. On December 5, 2012, MEGA Cosmos returned to Dish Network, after a 12 year absence.
Company's shareholder structure for 28/02/2011 (Shareholders owning 2.5% and above):
- Pegasus Publications S.A.: 26,82%
- Lambrakis Press S.A.: 22,11%
- BENBAY LIMITED: 5,09%
- BNP PARIBAS (SUISSE) SA:4,69%
- EFG BANK (MONACO) S.A.M.: 4,04%
- Premier Ltd: 3,49%
- Saran Holdings S.A.: 2,70%
- Tegopoulos Publications S.A.: 2,68%
- Teletypos Cyprus Ltd: 100% subsidiary (main business mainly in the purchase and sale of programmes, know-how etc. in the markets of Cyprus and the Middle East)
- LOGOS Informational and Cultural Company, Cyprus: owning 25%
- NETMED NV, Dutch cable television company: 12,5%
- Multichoice Hellas S.A., Greek cable television company: 42%, in 2003, 33% were transferred to Teletypos Cyprus but already in 2004 all 42% were exchanged with a 12.5% participation in the Dutch cable television company NETMED NV.
- MEGA Cosmos Canada
- Mega Channel Cyprus
- List of programs broadcast by Mega Channel
- List of Greek television channels
- "Mega TV". Mega TV. Retrieved 2012-01-15.
- "mega channel christmas ident 2003, meg and ega 2". YouTube. 2007-09-15. Retrieved 2011-05-12.