|Launched||20 November 1989|
|Owned by||Teletypos S.A. (ΤΗΛΕΤΥΠΟΣ Α.Ε.)|
|Picture format||16:9 (576i, SDTV)|
|Audience share||17.5% (6/10/2014 - 12/10/2014, AGB)|
|DVB-T||DIGEA 02 multiplex|
|NOVA Greece||Channel 105|
|OTE TV||Channel 106|
Mega Channel, also known as Mega TV or just Mega, is a major television network in Greece. Teletypos S.A. was founded in 1989 under the name Teletypos Television Programmes S.A. and the trade name MEGA CHANNEL. It was the first private television station in Greece, launched on air on November 20, 1989.
Mega's programming consists mainly of Greek programmes such as comedies, dramas, news, current affairs and entertainment shows. In recent years, Mega Channel has overtaken its main rival ANT1 as the most popular channel in Greece, largely due to hit shows like 50-50, Sto Para Pente and Savvatogennimenes.
Current programing for the 2014-2015 broadcasting season include: (As of October 2014)
News and information
- Anatropi (Backfall) - Current affairs talk show with focus on political issues, now in its 14th year, hosted by Giannis Pretenteris. Airs Mondays at 11:30pm.
- Erevna (Research) - A talk show, with focus on events from all over the world, hosted by Pavlos Tsimas.
- Koinonia Ora MEGA (Community Time MEGA) - A revamped version of its predecessor (Koinonia Ora 8). Current affairs show that examines the issues affecting everyday people in Greece and abroad. Features discussion with in-studio guests. The show is hosted by Giorgos Oikonomeas and Dimitris Kampourakis. Airs Monday - Friday at 7am.
- Mega Gegonota (Mega News) - Daily newscast in Greek featuring news from Greece and around the world. Airs daily 2pm & 8pm (8pm newscast hosted by Olga Tremi on weekdays and Nikos Stravelakis on weekends) with updates at 4:50pm and 1:15am.
- Mega Savvatokiriako (Mega Weekend) - Morning show for the Weekend. It features news, sports highlights, current affairs and more. Hosted by Iordanis Hasapopoulos and Μanolis Anagnostakis. Airs Saturdays & Sundays at 7am.
- Ola Gia Tin Igeia Mou (Everything for my health) - Talk show focusing on health and medicine hosted by Mihalis Kefalogiannis.
- MEGA Me MIA - morning show/lifestyle program features entertainment, music and more. Hosted by Markos Seferlis. Airs Mondays - Fridays at 10am
- JOY, It's Inside of You - weekend infotainment show in its first season on Mega Channel.
- Dikaiosi (Vindication) - drama series in its first season, coming October 2014.
- Ethniki Ellados (Greek national) - comedy by Giorgos Kapoutzidis in its first season, coming January 2015.
- Kato Partali - comedy series returning for its second season in January 2015.
- Klemmena Oneira (Stolen Dreams) - soap opera returning for its fourth season in December 2014.
- Mana X Ouranou (Supermom) - comedy in its first season, coming October 2014.
- Moderna Ikogeneia an adaptation of the American series Modern Family, returning for its second season in October 2014.
- Oneiro Itan (It was a Dream) - Greek-Cypriot soap opera in its first season; first premiered on sister-channel Mega Channel Cyprus.
- Unforgettable, American crime/mystery television series.
- The Client List, American drama series.
- The Big C, American comedy-drama.
- Community, American sitcom.
- Celebrity Game Night - game show based off the American Hollywood Game Night and hosted by Smaragda Karydi; returning for its season season in November 2014.
- Eeeee - hybrid talk show hosted by Christos Anthopoulos, coming in November 2014.
- Istories Apo Tin Lista (Stories from the List) - culinary show hosted by Akis Petretzikis that travels around Greece showcasing food and culture, coming in November 2014.
- Kan' to Opos Ton Aki (Do it like Aki) - daily cooking show hosted by MasterChef Greece season 1 winner Akis Petretzikis, coming in November 2014.
- Rising Star - reality television singing competition based off of the Israeli format HaKokhav HaBa. To be hosted by Zeta Makripoulia and coming in January 2015.
- The Music School - Children's talent show based off the Israeli format of the same name. Premiering in October 2014 for its first season; hosted by Ntoretta Papadimitriou and featuring mentors Demy, Evridiki, Giorgos Theofanous, and Vaggelis Germanos.
- UEFA Champions League (Tuesday matches and highlights)
- 2000/2002 season: Ραντεβού στο Mega (Rendezvous on Mega)
- 2002/2004 season: Όλοι Mega (Everybody watches Mega)
- 2004/2005 season: I love TV
- 2005/2009 season: Megalicious
- 2009/2010 (September 2009 - February 2010) season: Tο Mega είναι 20 (Mega is 20)
- 2010/2014 (February 2010 - October 2014) season: Mega mou (My Mega)
- 2014/2015 season: Mega Mega
Logo and Copyrights
From 2005, many clips aired, all with the slogan "Megalicious". In 2005-2007 were in-studio and from 2007 are live action. The previous Mega channel logo consisted of the text 'MEGA', with 'ME' widened to the left and 'GA' widened to the right. "Meg" and "Ega" (a computer-generated imagery cat and a dog respectively) which appear frequently in the TV station's idents, especially at Christmas, Easter or summer, can be considered the mascots of the station. The old Mega Channel logo consisted of 10 or 12 multicolored lines, with MEGA in the middle and sometimes channel located at the bottom. The colors started from yellow, golden yellow, gold, mandarin, slightly orange (on either side), orange-rose, orange-pink, rose and pink.
MEGA Cosmos is the international network of Mega Channel that broadcasts the 'best of Mega' programming to Greeks abroad in North America, Africa, Asia and Australia. It was first launched as Mega Channel Australia in Australia and then rebranded to Mega Cosmos using a common feed for Australia and the US.
The channel first started broadcasting in Australia in 2000 but was taken off the air sometime later due to contractual problems. In late 2005, MEGA Cosmos returned to Australia thanks to a new deal signed with UBI World TV, a satellite platform that broadcast mainly foreign programming. In June 2012, UBI World TV ceased operations resulting in MEGA Cosmos once again being temporarily unavailable. As of January 2013, the channel is now available via TV Plus, an upstart satellite provider.
MEGA Cosmos originally launched in Canada in November 2001 via Odyssey Television Network but a contractual dispute in the summer of 2003 resulted in the removal of MEGA Cosmos programming from the Canadian airwaves. After a 4 year absence, a deal was struck with Ethnic Channels Group in 2007 to bring the channel back to Canada. In June 2012, Ethnic Channels Group lost the programming rights to the service and MEGA Cosmos Canada was subsequently shut down. The channel re-launched a short while later under a new agreement with Odyssey TV.
MEGA Cosmos launched in the USA in late 2000 on the Dish Network platform. On December 1, 2006 MEGA Cosmos moved from Dish Network to DirecTV, due to a contractual dispute. On April 1, 2011 MEGA Cosmos moved once again, this time to the Home2US platform, due to a lack of subscribers on DirecTV. The channel also became available on Ellas TV (an IPTV provider) at the same time. On December 5, 2012, MEGA Cosmos returned to Dish Network, after a 12 year absence.
Company's shareholder structure for 28/02/2011 (Shareholders owning 2.5% and above):
- Pegasus Publications S.A.: 26,82%
- Lambrakis Press S.A.: 22,11%
- BENBAY LIMITED: 5,09%
- BNP PARIBAS (SUISSE) SA:4,69%
- EFG BANK (MONACO) S.A.M.: 4,04%
- Premier Ltd: 3,49%
- Saran Holdings S.A.: 2,70%
- Tegopoulos Publications S.A.: 2,68%
- Teletypos Cyprus Ltd: 100% subsidiary (main business mainly in the purchase and sale of programmes, know-how etc. in the markets of Cyprus and the Middle East)
- LOGOS Informational and Cultural Company, Cyprus: owning 25%
- NETMED NV, Dutch cable television company: 12,5%
- Multichoice Hellas S.A., Greek cable television company: 42%, in 2003, 33% were transferred to Teletypos Cyprus but already in 2004 all 42% were exchanged with a 12.5% participation in the Dutch cable television company NETMED NV.
- MEGA Cosmos Canada
- Mega Channel Cyprus
- List of programs broadcast by Mega Channel
- List of Greek television channels
- "Mega TV". Mega TV. Retrieved 2012-01-15.
- "mega channel christmas ident 2003, meg and ega 2". YouTube. 2007-09-15. Retrieved 2011-05-12.