Mega Man ZX
|Mega Man ZX|
North American box art
|Distribution||Nintendo DS Game Card|
Mega Man ZX, known in Japan as Rockman ZX (ロックマンゼクス), is a video game developed by Inti Creates and published by Capcom for the Nintendo DS handheld game console. It is the first game in the sixth series of the Mega Man video game franchise. For the first time in the Mega Man series, the game features both a male and a female protagonist. A sequel, entitled Mega Man ZX Advent, was released in 2007.
Mega Man ZX takes place 200 years after the end of the Mega Man Zero series, approximately in the year 25XX. Humans and Reploids now coexist peacefully. After some time passes, the Humanoids, humans and reploids of Earth manage to revive some of the former nations of Earth. However, preventing further prosperity like back in the old days, incidents around Earth begin when some of the machine lifeforms become Mavericks, making some areas dangerous. Soon, this activity obstructs trading between nations. Thus, the nations become divided into areas designated as Innerpeace, utopistic cities, which provide a safe haven for Humanoids, and the Outlands, where the dangerous Mavericks, Reploids and Mechaniloids who threaten the peace, appeared. Innerpeace and the Outlands are divided into Areas. Remarkable developments were made due to the efforts of the corporation Slither Inc. They possess technology unearthed from ruins in the Outlands. Peaceful life in Innerpeace is maintained by using the technology offered by Slither Inc. Still, in the frontier regions, which are more exposed to the enemy, attacks by Mavericks occur. The Humanoids in these areas develop an organization devoted to the defense of their region, known as the Guardians. The Guardians defend the Outlands and investigate the cause of the Maverick attacks. The original leader of the Guardians disappears during the investigation of an Outlands area.
Ten years prior to the beginning of the story, the protagonists, Vent (ヴァン Van ) and Aile (エール Ēru ) lose their mother to a Maverick raid in the amusement park and become orphans. They were taken in[clarification needed] by Girouette (ジルウェ Jiruwe ) or Giro, the owner of Giro Express, which is a delivery service delivering all kinds of items. Giro is contacted by an unknown person to deliver an important package to a rendezvous point in the Area A forest.[when?]
At a cliff overlooking the area and the rendezvous point, Vent/Aile reminisce about the Maverick raid that took the life of their mother. Just as Giro and Vent/Aile are ready to pull out, a group of Mavericks attack them, and they fall to the forest below. After waking up, Vent/Aile are told to deliver the package while Giro deals with the Mavericks. Here, they meet face-to-face with Prairie (プレリー Purerī ), the leader of the Guardians. This meeting is cut short when a large Mechaniloid snake attacks the group. The package, a piece of floating metal known as Biometal Model X, lends its strength to Vent/Aile, allowing them to Megamerge and transform into Mega Man Model X. With the help of Model X, the snake is destroyed. They are then allowed by Prairie to keep Model X and look for Giro. After finding Giro, in the form of Mega Man Model Z, they board an airship deemed the Guardian's base. Later, a Maverick attack is spotted at the Slither Inc. main office. The duo meet the president of Slither Inc., Serpent (セルパン Serupan ), Prometheus (プロメテ Puromete ) and Pandora (パンドラ). Serpent reveals his knowledge of the Biometal and says that he too, is a Mega Man, possessing Model W. He expresses his intent to find the Model W Core, and leaves, but not before possessing a weakened Giro with the power of Model W. A fight ensues, resulting in the death of Giro. In his dying breaths, Giro hands Model Z over to Vent/Aile and then transforms into a Cyber Elf. By Double Megamerging with both Model X and Model Z, they use the form Model ZX to escape. Now the Guardians, including Vent and Aile must recover four remaining Biometal fragments and stop Serpent.
After retrieving all six biometals and the passwords, Vent/Aile are able to enter the ruins and locate model W. Before doing so, they return to the ship and analyze a chip containing data on the biometals from Prairie's sister.   After doing so, they enter the ruins. Once finding Model W, Vent/Aile are stalled by Pandora and the biometal is moved to Serpent's company building, Slither Inc. After defeating many enemies in the tower and arriving at the top, Vent/Aile face against Serpent who uses the power of Model W's core, nevertheless getting defeated. The tower then collapses, thus Model W gets destroyed.
This game contains elements from the Mega Man X series and the Mega Man Zero series. The players are on a 2-dimensional overlay map with sprites where they engage enemies to finish their mission. When a player receives a Biometal, he is able to change form, gaining various abilities, such as the charge moves, or charging the player's weapon with an element of that Biometal; for example, Biometal H will charge the weapon with electricity. While in a special form, using the form-specific abilities use up weapon energy. When the player receives the other half of the Biometal, he is able to perform a different special ability.
Missions are selected from a list, displayed on a computer. The player can freely explore the game world during and between missions, and they must find the specified area themselves. Computer chips can be found to complete the game database. Also, there are Life Ups which fill the health bar. These can be compared to the Heart Tanks from the Mega Man X series. Bosses all have their own individual weak points: it is where the Biometal they're using is stored. Hitting it deals more damage than the other hits, but it also decreases your ranking level at the end of the battle (ranging from one being the worst to four being the best). This also determines the energy level of the Biometal which is awarded afterwards. But even if the level is low, the Biometals can be upgraded with Energy Crystals later. Bosses are eventually resurrected and can be fought again.
Vent and Aile use the M.E.G.A. System (Meta-Encapsulated Granule Awareness System), also known in the original Japanese version as the R.O.C.K. System (Rebirth Of Crystallised Knowledge System), to activate the Biometals (known as Live Metals in the Japanese version) and to transform into a form similar to that which the Biometal was based on. Anyone who uses the M.E.G.A. (or R.O.C.K.) System is called a Mega Man (or Rockman). It is revealed that only survivors of a Maverick raid can harness the Biometals' power  and each Biometal has its own type of people it can merge with; compatible people are called biomatches. Mega Men typically hold out a Biometal in front of them and cry out "Megamerge!" to activate the Biometal (In the Japanese version, they shout "R.O.C.K. on!"). This process is called Megamerging[note 1]
The player initially begins with only Model X, but upon obtaining Model Z, Model X is used to fuse with the other Biometals. This is called Double Megamerge (Double R.O.C.K. On in the Japanese version). At this point, Model X can no longer be used alone for the rest of the game, until after it is unlocked by completing the game with both characters in normal or hard mode. Biometals of the Four Guardians from the Mega Man Zero series are found throughout the game, and these are the only Biometals that can be upgraded with Energy Crystals. These four Biometals use the touch screen in various ways. A seventh Biometal, a special one called Model O, or Model Omega, is available after completing the game and fulfilling certain requirements.
The Overdrive Invoke System (or O.I.S.) can be activated using the Biometals of the Four Guardians, giving special abilities to the player. Model HX, FX, and LX will give the player elemental attributes to some of their attacks (similar to the elemental chips from the Mega Man Zero series), while Model PX gives the player the ability to dash through enemies. By charging a player's weapon, the four Biometals are also able to perform attacks similar to the Four Guardians. For example, Model HX can summon a hurricane and Model PX can throw a large shuriken. However, O.I.S. consumes Weapon Energy or Biometal Energy and is irreplenishable. Model O cannot lose any Weapon Energy because it shouldn't even exist,[why?] so it doesn't have a Gauge, because it isn't a Biometal and doesn't make use of the M.E.G.A. System. It does make use of the Bio Energy Sync Mergers System, or B.E.S.M. System to merge with Biometals before the Megamerge, though.
Players can also revert to Humanoid form at any time. Although Vent/Aile cannot attack, dash, or wall-climb without a Biometal, they are able to swim and crawl. They will float on the surface of water instead of sinking. Some N.P.C.-s are too afraid to speak to Vent/Aile when they are using a Biometal, and security bots of the city will not attack unless megamerged with a Biometal or outside Innerpeace.
- Model X is the first Biometal obtained, giving Vent/Aile the X-Buster. When Megamerged, it grants the player the X-Buster which can charge up and store two shots, similar to the Buster upgrade from Mega Man X2. This biometal is based on the legendary Mega Man X from both the X and Zero series. The player gets this at the start of the game.
- Model Z is not used by Vent/Aile, but only by Giro early in the game. When Megamerged, Model Z looks very similar to Zero from the Mega Man Zero series, but has a visor instead of a helmet. Model Z grants the Z-Saber, a weapon which has a similar shape as a katana. This model is based on the legendary Zero from both the X and Zero series. When Megamerged with Biometal X, Vent/Aile can use both biometals at once to use the form ZX (thus, Model ZX). This new form looks similar to Zero from the Mega Man Zero games and grants a gameplay experience similar to that series, with both the ZX-Buster and the ZX-Saber available to the player. The boss to fight to earn this is Giro when he is being controlled by Serpent.
- Model H is the Biometal of the Wind, based on Harpuia from the Mega Man Zero series. When Megamerged, Model H grants the ability to air dash both vertically and horizontally, hover, and to use Harpuia's double sabers, Nitouryuu. The touch screen displays the weak spot within the Pseudoroids, the location of the Biometal, as well as the health or hit points of enemies. Model H has the Thunder element. The bosses you have to fight to earn both data pieces of Model H are Hivolt the Raptoroid and Hurricaune the Wolferoid.
- Model F is the Biometal of the Flame, based on Fefnir from the Megaman Zero series. When Megamerged, Model F grants use of two "Knuckle Busters", busters that resemble Fefnir's buster cannons, Sodom and Gomorrah. They also have the ability to create shockwaves on the ground, similar to Fefnir's Earthquake attack. The touch screen displays FX's special ability, "Buster Edit.", in which the player can draw a path on the touch screen which the buster shots from either buster will follow. Model FX has the Fire element. The bosses you have to fight to earn both data pieces of Model F are Fistleo the Predatoroid and Flammole the Moleroid.
- Model L is the Biometal of the Ice, based on Leviathan from the Megaman Zero series. When Megamerged, it grants a halberd. Model L lets its user to swim and to dash in water. The touch-screen displays a map of the surrounding area, as well as a Cyber-Elf icon that will position any nearby items on the map[clarification needed]. Model LX has the Ice element. The bosses you have to fight to earn both data pieces of Model L are Lurerre the Abysroid and Leganchor the Gelroid.
- Model P is the Biometal of the Shadows, based on Phantom from the Mega Man Zero series. When Megamerged, Model P grants the use of kunais and shurikens. Model P can also latch onto ceilings and other objects such as poles and platforms. A radar is displayed on the touch screen, highlighting enemies and showing passageways that would otherwise be hidden. Also, while in Overdrive Mode, dashing will make you momentarily invulnerable to enemy attacks. Model PX is also able to see farther in the dark. This model has no elemental attributes. The bosses you have to fight to earn both data pieces of Model P are Purprill the Mandroid and Protectos the Falseroid.
- Model O is a special Biometal, based on Omega Zero from the Megaman Zero series. When Synchro-Megamerged, Model O has many abilities similar to Omega Zero, which can be executed with certain button commands while in Overdrive and has a non-draining[clarification needed] Weapon Energy meter. Many of Model O's special attacks are based on the various attacks Zero used in the Mega Man X series, including the Rakuhouha, as well as in Megaman Zero 3. Model O is only unlockable in Normal or Hard mode. It can be unlocked in Area N after beating Omega on Normal or Hard mode.
- Model W ('Model V' in the original Japanese version) is the original Biometal, formed from the pieces of the core of the Ragnarok Space Station that 'Dr. Weil' ('Dr. Vile' in Japan) fused with. Ragnarok was destroyed at the end of Mega Man Zero 4; the Biometal is supposedly a piece of Ragnarok that contains Weil's soul. The original Guardian commander, Ciel found Model W. While studying it, the other Guardians suffered from inexplicable headaches. Upon hearing this, the commander removed the others from the site and continued her work. Serpent, who was also a Maverick raid survivor, went mad and used the fragment to destroy the recon unit. This Biometal is not available for use in the game.
|This section requires expansion. (June 2008)|
News of a Mega Man game for the Nintendo DS first appeared on GameSpot, January 2006 on the same day that Capcom created an official teaser site. Capcom promised that this game would be a 2D side-scrolling action game with the ability to choose between a male character, Vent, or a female character, Aile.
A demo first appeared in Electronic Entertainment Expo (E3) 2006 at an unlabelled kiosk at the Capcom booth. Much of the main introductory plot was revealed and two in-game levels, Area H and Area E were playable. The controls were said to be "simple enough… yet challenging", but reviewers did see some slowdown.
Rockman ZX Soundtrack -ZX Tunes- is the first remastered soundtrack album to be released for the Mega Man ZX series on October 27, 2006 by Inti Creates. The album consists of 2 Discs called Aile and Vent, named after the hero and the heroine of the game, and it is 131:37 minutes long. It also features one vocal track, Innocence, and five remix tracks.
|1.||"Innocence" (by CAO[disambiguation needed])|
|4.||"Green Grass Gradiation"|
|6.||"Brilliant Show Window"|
|7.||"Cinq Ville - c'est notre espoir -"|
|10.||"Ultramarine Meditation - Blessed Pop -" (Guest remix by Akari Groves)|
|11.||"Sky High - Grand Nuage -"|
|17.||"Fate - deep-seated grudge"|
|18.||"Black Burn - Electpital Dance -" (Guest remix by Satoru Kōsaki)|
|19.||"Innocence - karaoke version -"|
|20.||"Innocence - PV Version -"|
|1.||"High-press Energy - Super Aniki Edition -" (Guest remix by Kōji Hayama)|
|10.||"Brilliant Show Window - Shooter Trance -" (Guest remix by Manabu Namiki)|
|19.||"Cannon Ball - Hard Revenge -"|
Mega Man ZX garnered positive reviews from most sources, garnering a Metacritic score of 76 out of 100. Similar to Mega Man Zero, Mega Man ZX was compared to the original Mega Man series. Its high level of difficulty was enjoyed by some, but criticized by others. Its presentation and level designs were praised. Low points in reviews were the confusing world map, unoriginal gameplay, and frustrating difficulty level.
Mega Man ZX was the sixth best-selling game in Japan during its release week at 33,652 units sold. 94,341 units of the game were sold in the region by the end of 2006. A direct sequel, Mega Man ZX Advent, was announced for release the following year.
- referred to in the English version, although the characters still say "Rock On" in Japanese because the game did not get an English vocal dub.
- Famitsu staff (April 5, 2006). "『ロックマン ゼクス』の発売日がついに決定！" [Rockman ZX release date finally decided!]. Famitsu (in Japanese). Enterbrain. Retrieved February 19, 2012.
- Hatfield, Daemon (September 12, 2006). "Mega Man ZX Slides Into Stores". IGN. Retrieved June 13, 2010.
- Capcom staff. "Mega Man ZX (Nintendo DS)". Capcom. Retrieved February 19, 2012.
- Mega Manniversary: Mega Morrow from 1UP.com
- Inti Creates. Mega Man ZX. (Capcom). Nintendo DS. Giro: The Guardians are a defense force that banded together to fight the Mavericks. Right now, they're moving from place to place investigating the cause of Maverick outbreaks.
- Inti Creates. Mega Man ZX. (Capcom). Nintendo DS. Prairie:The Guardians have continued to investigate the root cause behind the current Maverick outbreaks.
- Inti Creates. Mega Man ZX. (Capcom). Nintendo DS. Aile: Ten years ago I was attacked by Mavericks… I was separated from my mom during the panic, and Giro is the one that found and rescued me.
- Inti Creates. Mega Man ZX. (Capcom). Nintendo DS. Vent: Bigger's not always better. If their security force had come sooner ten years ago… My mom might still be alive.
- Inti Creates. Mega Man ZX. (Capcom). Nintendo DS. Giro: Hello! Thank you for calling Giro Express Transporters! We can take anything, anywhere!
- Inti Creates. Mega Man ZX. (Capcom). Nintendo DS. Giro: Ah, the Guardian… or should I say client./????: Did you receive the package from the archaeological recon unit?/Giro: Yes, I got it./????: My unit is heading for the agreed upon rendezvous point. It's a little sooner than expected, but let's meet up there.
- Inti Creates. Mega Man ZX. (Capcom). Nintendo DS. Giro: Listen! Grab the package. Then take it to the rendezvous point and give it to the Guardians! I'll join you later once I take care of business up here! Protect that package at all costs!
- Inti Creates. Mega Man ZX. (Capcom). Nintendo DS. Prairie: I am Prairie, the commander of the Guardians.
- Inti Creates. Mega Man ZX. (Capcom). Nintendo DS. Vent: You've got to be kidding! What now? I can't handle this alone./Model X: But we can together. I'll lend you a hand.
- Inti Creates. Mega Man ZX. (Capcom). Nintendo DS. Vent: No… Boss! I'm going to need to borrow this Biometal a little longer. I have to save him!/Fleuve: What!? You would put the Biometal at risk again!?/Vent: My boss is in danger. I don't have time to argue!/Fleuve: B-but!/Prairie: Wait! Fleuve! Let him go!/Fleuve: Prairie!?
- Inti Creates. Mega Man ZX. (Capcom). Nintendo DS. Vent: Boss!/Giro: When the Mavericks had me cornered, the Biometal suddenly started to shine. The next moment, I was fighting them off in that form. I knew we were hauling something important. But I had no idea of the power that was hidden in that package.
- Inti Creates. Mega Man ZX. (Capcom). Nintendo DS. Aile: Giro! Just what is Biometal? I don't understand what's going on!/Giro: This is my partner, Biometal Model Z. I'm sorry I kept this a secret from you, but I'm a member of the Guardians. You and me are both chosen ones. We can transform with the power of the Biometal. I was given an order to protect you from the people who are after the power inside you.
- Inti Creates. Mega Man ZX. (Capcom). Nintendo DS. Serpent: The name is Serpent. I rule all that lies before me. I am the Model W Mega Man!
- Inti Creates. Mega Man ZX. (Capcom). Nintendo DS. Serpent: Leave them to the Mavericks and carry on as you were. A battle between the evil Mavericks and the good Slither Inc. security force. Classic. The people of this town will go on with their lives as usual. We need the facade of peace to continue on just a little bit longer. Eventually they will all become a glorious sacrifice for Model W.
- Inti Creates. Mega Man ZX. (Capcom). Nintendo DS. Model X:It looks as if all of the passwords have been reassembled. With them, you can enter the ruins where the Model W Core lies.
- Inti Creates. Mega Man ZX. (Capcom). Nintendo DS. Prairie: In the war hundreds of years ago, there was a man who tried to conquer the world. In order to carry out his mad scheme, he created a giant battle station in space known as Ragnarok. He fused with Ragnarok, but he was challenged by a hero and defeated. Ragnarok broke apart and fell through the atmosphere, burning brightly like a shooting star in the night sky. That image will be burned into my mind forever./Vent: Then that means Model W is…/Prairie: Yes, the sould of that man contained in a fragment of Ragnarok. That's Model W. Sis recognized its existence and set about to create something capable of fighting the threat. She used her research to create Biometal with the powers of legendary heroes from an age long ago.
- Inti Creates. Mega Man ZX. (Capcom). Nintendo DS. Lap Chip: Biometal Report Classification #555913 Chosen One This message is intended for the chosen one who will someday find the Biometal I have created. In order to fight against Model W, which has been causing the Maverick outbreaks, I have constructed Model X and Model Z with the data I have obtained on ancient heroes. There is still so much I don't understand… And I was forced to use the research on Model W as a basis for constructing the other two models. In other words, the ones with the potential to use Model X and Z, are the same one with the potential to unleash Model W. As a chosen one, you have the power to save or destroy the world. I can only hope you use the power for good and that you will decide to guide the people to a bright future.
- Inti Creates. Mega Man ZX. (Capcom). Nintendo DS. Pandora: Model ZX... Mega Man... You will not... interfere...
- Inti Creates. Mega Man ZX. (Capcom). Nintendo DS. Prairie: Vent. We've tracked down Model W's location. It's in the tallest building right in the center of the country - Slither Inc's head office.
- Inti Creates. Mega Man ZX. (Capcom). Nintendo DS. Prairie: The order was to protect anyone that survived the Maverick raid. At first I didn't understand why she would give such an order. But when I saw Giro transform into the Model Z Mega Man, I finally understood the reason. Survivors of Maverick raids share the ability to transform with the power of the Biometal. People like you and Giro. I'm telling you the truth when I say that's all I know. I have no idea why some are chosen to be Mega Men while others are not. I'm guessing the only one who knows the real truth behind all of this is Serpent.
- Inti Creates. Mega Man ZX. (Capcom). Nintendo DS. Model H: I am the Biometal of the Wind, Model H.
- Inti Creates. Mega Man ZX. (Capcom). Nintendo DS. I'm the Model H Pseudoroid, Hivolt.
- Inti Creates. Mega Man ZX. (Capcom). Nintendo DS. I am the Model H Pseudoroid, Hurricaune!
- Inti Creates. Mega Man ZX. (Capcom). Nintendo DS. Model F: Yahoo! Thanks for saving me! I am the Biometal of the Flame, Model F!
- Inti Creates. Mega Man ZX. (Capcom). Nintendo DS. The name is Fistleo, I am the Model F Pseudoroid.
- Inti Creates. Mega Man ZX. (Capcom). Nintendo DS. I am the Model F Pseudoroid, Flammole.
- Inti Creates. Mega Man ZX. (Capcom). Nintendo DS. Model L: I am the Biometal of the Ice, Model L.
- Inti Creates. Mega Man ZX. (Capcom). Nintendo DS. I am the lovely Pseudoroid Model L, Lurerre.
- Inti Creates. Mega Man ZX. (Capcom). Nintendo DS. I am the Model L Pseudoroid, Leganchor.
- Inti Creates. Mega Man ZX. (Capcom). Nintendo DS. Model P: I am the Biometal of the Shadows, Model P.
- Inti Creates. Mega Man ZX. (Capcom). Nintendo DS. I'll show you just how powerful the Pseudoroid Purprill really is!
- Inti Creates. Mega Man ZX. (Capcom). Nintendo DS. I am the Model P Pseudoroid, Protectos!
- Inti Creates. Mega Man ZX. (Capcom). Nintendo DS. Computer: The recon unit has unearthed a strange metal in this area. It seems… conscious. It began to speak to us in our minds. The commander called it Biometal Model W. We continued to research the Biometal under her orders. However, everyone was complaining of unexplained headaches and a strange numbness… Upon hearing this, she removed us from the site and continued the research on her own. Despite these precautions, our unit was annihilated. One of our own had suddenly gone mad…
- Inti Creates. Mega Man ZX. (Capcom). Nintendo DS. Computer: The recon unit has unearthed a strange metal in this area. It seems… conscious. The commander called it "Biometal Model W." We continued to research it, until one day, when we were just about ready to give up… One of our own went mad and destroyed our unit. He erased the data and vanished with the Biometal. His name was Serpent, and he was always the most passionate about our research into the Model W fragment. I will attempt to record what little is known about the cause of his insanity below…
- Staff (2006-01-13). "Three new titles announced for the DS in Japan". GameSpot. Retrieved 2007-01-27.
- Brendan Sinclair (2006-05-10). "E3 06: Capcom's booth goes hands-on". GameSpot. Retrieved 2007-01-27.
- Greg Mueller (2006-05-11). "E3 2006: Mega Man ZX Hands-On". GameSpot. Retrieved 2007-01-27.
- man zx "Mega Man ZX (ds) reviews". Metacritic.com. Retrieved 2010-06-13.
- Riley, Adam (June 28, 2006). "Nintendo Reviews". Cubed3. Unknown parameter
|Famitsu Rates Latest Japanese Releases | url=ignored (help);
- Mark Bozon (September 8, 2006). "IGN: Mega Man ZX Review". IGN. Retrieved 2009-08-18.
- "Now Playing". Nintendo Power (Nintendo of America) (208): p. 90. October 2006.
- "Reviews: Mega Man ZX". Play Magazine (Fusion Publishing): p. 65. September 2006.
- Greg Mueller (September 11, 2006). "Mega Man ZX Review for DS". GameSpot. Retrieved 2009-08-18.
- Phil Theobald (September 11, 2006). "GameSpy: Mega Man ZX - Page 1". GameSpy. Retrieved 2009-08-18.
- D. F. Smith (October 30, 2006). "Mega Man ZX for Nintendo DS - Reviews - G4tv.com". G4tv. Retrieved 2009-08-18.
- "Mega Man ZX Metacritic Reviews". metacritic.com. Retrieved 2008-04-10.
- Jenkins, David (July 14, 2006). "Mario Bros. Tops Japanese Charts For Sixth Week". Gamasutra. Retrieved 2010-06-13.
- "2006年テレビゲームソフト売り上げTOP500（ファミ通版）" (in Japanese). Geimin.net. Retrieved 2010-06-13.
- McWhertor, Michael (April 13, 2007). "Mega Man ZX Advent, Mega Man Star Force End Mega Man Drought". Kotaku. Retrieved 2010-06-13.