|Alma mater||Vassar College
University of York
She was born in Houston, Texas, and raised in Ridgewood, New Jersey. She is the granddaughter of the late Robert F. Goheen, the 16th president of Princeton University and former United States Ambassador to India and is also the great great granddaughter of Sir James Caruthers Rhea Ewing (1854-1925), distinguished Presbyterian missionary educator in what is now Pakistan. Crane graduated from Vassar College, and has an M.A. and Ph.D. in Literature from the University of York in York, England. She is married to Jeff Johnson, the American comic book artist, animator, and one of the founders of the original Drink and Draw Social Club.
Crane is the author of approximately forty novels.
- English as a Second Language was published by Warner Books in 2004.
- Everyone Else's Girl was published by Warner Books' 5 Spot imprint in 2005.
- Frenemies was a Book Sense Notable in July 2007.
- Names My Sisters Call Me was published by Grand Central Publishing (formerly Warner Books) in 2008.
- I Love the 80s, was published by Quercus Books in the UK in March 2011 and Once More With Feeling came out from Quercus in December 2012. Both of these books were released for the North American market by Tule Publishing in 2014.
- Tempt Me, Cowboy was published in September 2013, the first novella in the Copper Mountain Rodeo series, the flagship e-book project from Tule Publishing's Montana Born imprint.
- A Game of Brides was published in May 2014 as part of the Montana Born Brides series.
She has also written a number of work-for-hire young adult novels under different names, but does not reveal their titles. The first of these hit the New York Times Bestseller list in 2005.
Crane also writes romance novels for Harlequin Presents under the pseudonym "Caitlin Crews".
Her debut, Pure Princess, Bartered Bride, was published in February 2010, debuting on the USA Today Bestseller List at #112.
Subsequent novels for Presents include:
- Majesty, Mistress...Missing Heir (October 2010 in North America; May 2010 in the UK)
- Katrakis's Last Mistress (September 2010 in the UK; published as Katrakis's Sweet Prize in North America in March 2011)
- Princess from the Past (February 2011 in the UK; February 2012 in North America where the book debuted on the USA Today Bestseller List at #89)
- The Shameless Playboy (May 2011 in the UK; published as The Disgraced Playboy in North America in August 2011)
- The Replacement Wife (August 2011 in the UK; June 2012 in North America)
- Heiress Behind the Headlines (October 2011 in the UK; October 2012 in North America)
- The Man Behind the Scars (June 2012 in the UK; August 2012 in North America)
- In Defiance of Duty (June 2012 in the UK)
- A Devil In Disguise (November 2012 in the UK)
- No More Sweet Surrender (February 2013 in UK and US)
- A Royal Without Rules (August 2013 in UK and US), which was nominated for the prestigious Romance Writers of America RITA Award in 2014
- A Scandal in the Headlines (August 2013 in the UK; November 2013 in North America)
- Not Just The Boss's Plaything (December 2013)
- Scandalize Me (June 2014), Book Two in the trade paperback Fifth Avenue Trilogy featuring three different authors
- Undone By the Sultan's Touch (August 2014)
Her novella "The Reluctant Queen" appears in an anthology called A Royal Engagement (April 2011 in the UK as part of an anthology called A Royal Wedding; November 2011 in North America).
In addition to writing books, Crane teaches creative writing courses online at mediabistro and at the prestigious UCLA Extension Writers' Program . She has also contributed essays to It's a Wonderful Lie: 26 Truths About Life in Your Twenties, edited by Emily Franklin and Everything I Needed To Know About Being a Girl I Learned From Judy Blume, edited by Jennifer O'Connell.
- "Megan Crane, Jeffrey Johnson", The New York Times, March 16, 2008. Accessed October 4, 2008.
- Marshall, John. "Chick lit is alive and well in Megan Crane's latest novel, 'Frenemies'", Seattle Post-Intelligencer, June 28, 2007. Accessed October 4, 2008.