||This biographical article needs additional citations for verification. (August 2010)|
Mehcad Brooks of "Necessary Roughness" at 2011 USA Upfronts.
|Born||Mehcad Jason McKinley Brooks
October 25, 1980
Austin, Texas, U.S.
Mehcad Jason McKinley Brooks (born October 25, 1980) is an American actor and former fashion model. He is known for his roles as Matthew Applewhite in the second season of ABC's hit series Desperate Housewives (2005–2006), Jerome in The Game, and his leading role as Terrance "TK" King in the USA series Necessary Roughness from 2011 until the series' cancellation in 2013.
Brooks was born and raised in Austin, Texas, where he attended L.C. Anderson High School. After graduating from high school in 1999, he attended the University of Southern California's School of Cinema-Television. Brooks mentioned on a September 2010 episode of The Wendy Williams Show that he turned down basketball scholarships and offers from Ivy League schools in favor of going to USC. He then left to pursue an acting career.
Brooks' early work includes being a Calvin Klein underwear model.
From 2005 to 2006, Brooks played the role of Matthew Applewhite on the ABC TV drama Desperate Housewives. He appeared in Glory Road, portraying Harry Flournoy, an athlete at Texas Western University when the five starting black players beat Kentucky for the national championship. He acted in the 2007 film In the Valley of Elah. He guest starred opposite Tia Mowry as her boyfriend, Jerome, on the TV series The Game in 2008. In 2009 he appeared on FOX's TV series Dollhouse. Brooks played Benedict "Eggs" Talley in the second season of HBO's True Blood. Beginning January 2010, he appeared as attorney Malcolm Bennet in the now-canceled ABC series The Deep End. He plays the "new boyfriend" in a recent State Farm Insurance television commercial alongside former The Game co-star Gabrielle Dennis.
Brooks appeared in the ABC documentary-style dramedy television series My Generation, which premiered in Fall 2010. The show was canceled after only two episodes. He was among the cast on the USA Network series Necessary Roughness which debuted on June 29, 2011. O was cancelled. Brooks guest starred in the episode "Personal Fouls" of Law & Order: Special Victims Unit as Prince Miller, a basketball superstar who was once one of his coach's (Dan Lauria) prodigies, the coach under suspicion of being a sexual predator in 2012 and a guest role on JJ Abrams new show 'Alcatraz' episode 6 as a bomb disposal expert. In 2013, Brooks was featured in a public service announcement for the Center for Reproductive Rights.
In the media
|2002||Radimi: Who Stole the Dream||Radimi Wadkins|
|2003||A Token for Your Thoughts||The Jock||Short film|
|2006||Glory Road||Harry Flournoy|
|2007||In the Valley of Elah||Spc. Ennis Long|
|2008||Fly Like Mercury||Hutch|
|2010||Just Wright||Angelo Bembrey|
|2012||Magic: The Gathering - The Musical||Doug||Short film|
|2014||About Last Night||Derek|
|2002||Do Over||Shawn Hodges||Episode: "Take Me Out of the Ball Game"|
|2002||Malcolm in the Middle||Big kid||Episode: "Stupid Girl"|
|2003||Boston Public||Russell Clark||4 episodes|
|2003||One on One||Mustafa||Episode: "2 Young, 2 Curious"|
|2004||Cold Case||Herman Lester||Episode: "The Lost Soul of Herman Lester"|
|2004||Tiger Cruise||Kenny||TV movie|
|2005–2006||Desperate Housewives||Matthew Applewhite||23 episodes|
|2006||Ghost Whisperer||Justin Cotter||Episode: "Giving Up the Ghost"|
|2007–2008||K-Ville||Vin Bear||Episode: "Critical Mass"
Episode: "Game Night"
|2008||The Game||Jerome "Jerry" Wright||7 episodes|
|2008–2010||True Blood||Eggs||14 episodes|
|2009||Dollhouse||Sam Jennings||Episode: "Echoes"|
|2010||The Deep End||Malcolm Bennett||6 episodes|
|2010||My Generation||Rolly Marks||5 episodes|
|2011–2013||Necessary Roughness||Terrence King||38 episodes|
|2011||Law & Order: Special Victims Unit||Prince Miller||Episode: "Personal Fouls"|
|2012||Alcatraz||Matt Tanner||Episode: "Paxton Petty"|
Awards and nominations
|2006||Image Awards||Outstanding Supporting Actor in a Comedy Series||Desperate Housewives||Nominated|
|2006||Screen Actors Guild Awards||Outstanding Ensemble in a Comedy Series||Desperate Housewives||Won|
|2007||Screen Actors Guild Awards||Outstanding Ensemble in a Comedy Series||Desperate Housewives||Nominated|
|2010||Screen Actors Guild Awards||Outstanding Ensemble in a Drama Series||True Blood||Nominated|
- "ABC Unveils 2010-11 Primetime Schedule". The Futon Critic. May 18, 2010. Retrieved May 29, 2010.
- The show featured Brooks as Terrence "TK" King, a football player for the New York Hawks whose anger issues cause his team to require him to see therapist. In 2013, Necessary Roughness "Mehcad Brooks IMDB Profile". IMDB. Retrieved 16 September 2011.
- Tim Stanley (25 January 2013). "The Guardian jokes about Justin Bieber being aborted. How low can it sink?". The Daily Telegraph. Retrieved 27 January 2013.
- Meredith Jessup (23 January 2013). "The Legacy of Roe V. Wade in the Black Community". The Blaze. Retrieved 27 January 2013.
- Aaron Couch (22 January 2013). "'Necessary Roughness' Actor's Pro-Choice PSA Slammed (Video)". The Hollywood Reporter. Retrieved 27 January 2013.
- John, Gaudiosi. "Necessary Roughness Star Mehcad Brooks Talks Games". Interview. IGN Entertainment. Retrieved 2011-09-16.
- Cwelich, Lorraine (30 January 2013). "Serinda Swan on 'Graceland' and Her Go-To Red-Carpet Designers". Elle. Retrieved 25 April 2013.
- "Mehcad Brooks & Serinda Swan: 'Creature' Couple!". Hollywire. Retrieved 25 April 2013.