|Awards||Sedat Simavi Journalism Award (2009)|
Mehmet Baransu (born 1977) is a Turkish journalist and author of Kurdish origin. He is a correspondent for Taraf, and previously worked for Aksiyon (1997–2000). He is the winner of a 2009 Sedat Simavi Journalism Award. He is known for investigating the Turkish military, including publishing documents in January 2010 revealing the "Sledgehammer" coup plan, and earlier the "Cage Action Plan" which became part of the Ergenekon trials.
In 2010 it was revealed that the phones of both Baransu and his wife, Esra Baransu, had been tapped by the Turkish Gendarmerie on false pretences. The Gendarmerie had obtained warrants for the phone taps by falsely representing the IMEI code numbers of the Baransus' phones as belonging to fictional Kurdistan Workers' Party (PKK) suspects. In 2011 five military officers were each sentenced to five years in jail for these actions. In 2011 a voice recording posted online, allegedly by a military official, said that Baransu should be killed as a warning to others.
His books include Mösyö: Hanefi Avcı’nın Yazamadıkları (2010), which alleges that former police chief Hanefi Avcı had committed torture and developed connections with the Devrimci Karargâh group, and that Avcı had published his book on Ergenekon to try to ward off arrest. His 2012 book Pirus alleged plans to assassinate Chief of the General Staff Hilmi Özkök in order to permit a 2004 coup, and suggested that the plans were foiled when US officials found out about them.
- Mehmet Baransu – Tuncay Opçin (2012). Pirus (Devşirme Orduların Son Savaşı). Karakutu Yayınları. ISBN 9786051200323.
- Mehmet Baransu (2010). Karargah. Karakutu Yayınları. ISBN 9786051200040.
- Mehmet Baransu (2010). Mösyö: Hanefi Avcı’nın Yazamadıkları. Karakutu Yayınları. ISBN 9786051200163.
- "Mehmet Baransu: Kürt'üm Ama". Turktime (in Turkish). 21 December 2009. Retrieved 14 December 2013.
- idefix.com, Mehmet Baransu
- bianet, 4 December 2009, Taraf Muhabiri Mehmet Baransu'ya Sedat Simavi Ödülü
- Today's Zaman, 17 May 2013, TSK files complaint against Taraf's Baransu on slander charges
- Today's Zaman, 1 January 2010, General Staff linked to attempted arrest of journalist Baransu
- Today's Zaman, 4 August 2010, Gendarmerie wiretaps journalist Baransu's wife's phone
- Today's Zaman, 25 April 2011, Baransu invites defenders of press to today’s hearing
- Today's Zaman, 24 May 2011, Five officers sentenced to over five years in prison each for illegally wiretapping journalist Baransu
- Today's Zaman, 2 June 2011, Major says journalist Baransu should be executed in voice recording
- Today's Zaman, 5 December 2010, Avcı's shady connections, tortures documented in book
- Today's Zaman, 22 March 2012, Book: Pro-coup generals plotted to assassinate Özkök
- odatv, 18 June 2009, MEHMET BARANSU ABD'DE 4 YIL NE YAPTI?
- Baransu's page at Taraf
- Today's Zaman, 6 January 2012, MİT statement full of lies, says journalist Baransu
- Today's Zaman, 7 October 2010, Taraf reporter Baransu acquitted of revealing secret documents
- Today's Zaman, 20 May 2013, Murder allegations surface against businessman Demirören
- Today's Zaman, 25 February 2013, Assassination plot against President Gül was hidden
- Today's Zaman, 6 October 2009, Controversial army unit abolished
- Today's Zaman, 13 December 2011, Fighter jets given manipulated coordinates in attack on PKK
- Hurriyet Daily News, 25 October 2009, Taraf apologizes to NTV over crash allegations