|Full name||Mehmet Ekici|
|Date of birth||25 March 1990|
|Place of birth||Munich, West Germany|
|Height||1.80 m (5 ft 11 in)|
|Current club||Werder Bremen|
|2008–2010||Bayern Munich II||70||(18)|
|2010–2011||→ 1. FC Nürnberg (loan)||32||(3)|
|* Senior club appearances and goals counted for the domestic league only and correct as of 5 October 2013.
† Appearances (Goals).
Mehmet Ekici (Turkish pronunciation: [me̞hˈme̞t e̞ˈcid͡ʒɪ]; born 25 March 1990) is a professional footballer who plays as a midfielder for Werder Bremen, having previously played for 1. FC Nürnberg and Bayern Munich. Born in Germany, Ekici played for the Germany national football team at Under-17 to Under-21 level before switching to represent Turkey in senior competition.
Ekici has appeared for Bayern Munich's first team, making his debut in the 2008 T-Home Super Cup. He has been named in Bayern Munich's squad for the both the 2008–09 and 2009–10 UEFA Champions League. In January 2010, it was announced that Ekici would train with the first-team for the rest of the 2009–10 season, along with reserve team-mates David Alaba and Diego Contento, and on 1 February, he followed Contento in signing a contract with the senior team. He was an unused substitute for a few matches before injury ruled him out of the end of the season. In July 2010, he joined 1. FC Nürnberg on a season-long loan.
On 18 May 2011, he transferred to Werder Bremen for a fee believed to be around €5 million. He scored his first goal for Bremen on 17 September, against his former club 1. FC Nürnberg in match that ended in a 1–1 draw.
Although he has represented Germany, the nation of his birth, at youth and U21 levels, he has elected to play for Turkey at the senior level. He was called up to Turkish side by Guus Hiddink for the friendly match against the Netherlands. On 29 March 2011, Ekici represented Turkey in his first major international match against Austria where he played right-wing with Turkish play-maker Arda Turan on the left-wing, which resulted in Turkey winning the match 2–0 and getting their UEFA Euro 2012 qualification back on-track. Ekici has gone with Turkish manager Guus Hiddink to 1. FC Nürnberg to try to persuade his close friend İlkay Gündoğan to follow in his paths in playing for Turkey.
- As of 5 October 2013[update]
|2007–08||Bayern Munich II||Regionalliga Süd||9||0||—||—||9||0|
|2010–11||1. FC Nürnberg||Bundesliga||32||3||4||1||—||36||4|
- "Mehmet Ekici". 1. FC Nürnberg. p. 2. Retrieved 26 July 2010.
- "Borussia edge T-Home Supercup against FCB". FC Bayern Munich. 24 July 2008. Retrieved 24 July 2008.
- "FC Bayern München". UEFA. Retrieved 7 September 2009.
- "Alaba, Ekici and Contento give it their best shot". FC Bayern Munich. 9 January 2010. Retrieved 9 January 2010.
- "Ekici unterschreibt Profi-Vertrag". FC Bayern Munich (in German). 1 February 2010. Retrieved 1 February 2010.
- "Milli futbolcu resmen Werder Bremen'de" (in Turkish). Hürriyet. 18 May 2011. Retrieved 18 May 2011.
- "Promising Turkish midfielder Mehmet Ekici to Werder Bremen". nationalturk.com. 18 May 2011. Retrieved 18 May 2011.
- "Mehmet Ekici'ye Milli Takım yolu açıldı". TTF. 29 October 2010. Retrieved 30 October 2010.
- "Mehmet Ekici Türkiye dedi". ntvspor.net (in Turkish). 29 October 2010. Retrieved 29 October 2010.
- "Hollanda kadrosu açıklandı". ntvspor.net (in Turkish). 12 November 2010. Retrieved 16 November 2010.
- Mehmet Ekici at transfermarkt.de (German)
- Mehmet Ekici at fussballdaten.de (German)
- Kicker profile
- Interview with Cezasahasi.net (Turkish)