27 April 1972 |
He performed several minor television roles in episodes of different TV shows and continued working in theater until his big-screen debut in his main role as the young Turkish boy Gabriel in Fatih Akın's film Kurz und schmerzlos (Short Sharp Shock). After his breakthrough he appeared in the successful TV mini-series Der Tunnel, of Roland Suso Richter, where he performed alongside Heino Ferch and Nicolette Krebitz. Doris Dörrie chose him for her sex comedy Naked. He went back to working in television with the love film Eine Liebe in Saigon (Love in Saigon) with Luxembourgian actress Désirée Nosbusch (to whom Kurtuluş is engaged).
- 1993 – Adelheid und ihre Mörder
- 1995 – SK Babies
- 1995 – Stars of the South
- 1996 – Double Employment
- 2001 – The Tunnel (TV mini-series)
- 2004 – Love in Saigon
- 2007–2012 – Tatort
- 1996 – Getürkt
- 1998 – Short Sharp Shock (Kurz und schmerzlos)
- 2000 – Im Juli
- 2001 – Herz
- 2002 – Naked
- 2004 – Lautlos
- 2004 – Head-On (Gegen die Wand)
- Locarno International Film Festival 1998: Bronze leopard (best actor) for Short Sharp Shock
- Grimme-Preis 2001: Short Sharp Shock
- Grimme-Preis 2009: Tatort – Auf der Sonnenseite
- Smee, Jess (3 November 2008). "International: Turkish delight at German cult series' new hero". The Guardian (London). p. 24.
- "Neuer TV-Kommissar Kurtulus". Der Spiegel (in German). 20 October 2008. Retrieved 8 December 2012.
- Keil, Christopher (17 May 2010). "Ich bin nicht gecastet worden". Süddeutsche Zeitung (in German). Retrieved 8 December 2012.
- Hanfeld, Michael (4 March 2011). "Mehmet Kurtulus spielt nur noch zweimal". Frankfurter Allgemeine Zeitung (in German). Retrieved 8 December 2012.
- Roxborough, Scott (16 November 2011). "Til Schweiger to Return to German TV for Hit Series 'Tatort'". hollywoodreporter.com.