|Minister of Health|
January 24, 2013
|Prime Minister||Recep Tayyip Erdoğan|
|Preceded by||Recep Akdağ|
January 9, 1955 |
|Political party||Justice and Development Party|
|Alma mater||Istanbul University|
He was born on January 9, 1955 in Kozlukebir village of Komotini (Turkish: Gümülcine) to father Ali and his wife Fatma, a family of Turkish minority in Greece. Müezzinoğlu went to Istanbul for high school education. He studied in a İmam Hatip school, where he met current prime minister Recep Tayyip Erdoğan as his classmate.
In 1983, Müezzinoğlu immigrated from Greece illegally by crossing the river Maritsa (Turkish: Meriç). Before acquiring Turkish citizenship in 1986, he lived in Turkey as a heimatlos between 1983 and 1986.
Before entering politics, he worked as a physician in a private hospital in Avcılar district of Istanbul Province, where he was also a co-founder. In his social life, he is member of various associations and foundations related to Western Thrace Turks.
Müezzinoğlu became in 1992 a member of the Islamist Welfare Party (Turkish: Refah Partisi, RP) to make policy alongside Recep Tayyip Erdoğan. Between 2002-2007, he served as the chairman of the Justice and Development Party's Istanbul Province organization.
He was elected deputy of Istanbul Province in the Turkish general election, 2007. he was reelected to the parliament in the 2011 general election this time as deputy of Edirne. On January 24, 2013, Mehmet Müezzinoğlu was appointed Minister of Health in the cabinet of Recep Tayyip Erdoğan replacing Recep Akdağ.
During the 2013 protests
During the 2013 protests in Turkey, several make-shift infirmaries were erected to treat victims of the violence. The injuries included traumas from plastic bullets and teargas canisters. In response to this Müezzinoğlu declared that "The infirmaries around the protest areas are illegal. This is ideologic and it's an execution violating the legal structure. There will be legal action taken against the medics working in those infirmaries."
- "Mehmet Müezzinoğlu Kimdir". EOkul Medya Haber (in Turkish). 2013-01-24. Retrieved 2013-01-26.
- "Mehmet Müezzinoğlu" (in Turkish). TBMM. Retrieved 2013-01-26.
- "Yeni Sağlık Bakanı Müezzinoğlu: Bakanlık beklemiyordum". Hürriyet (in Turkish). 2013-01-24. Retrieved 2013-01-26.
- Şenyüz, Selçuk (2012-01-24). "Sürpriz zirve sonrası kabine değişikliği". Hürriyet (in Turkish). Retrieved 2013-01-24.
- "Gezi direnişine destek olan sağlık çalışanlarına suç duyurusu". soL (in Turkish). 2013-06-13. Retrieved 2013-06-13.