||This biographical article needs additional citations for verification. (April 2014)|
Meiyang Chаng at Jhalak Dikhla Jaa Bash
October 6, 1982
Dhanbad, Jharkhand, India
|Occupation||Dentist, Actor, Singer, Anchor|
|Traditional Chinese||張眉陽[source needs translation]|
Meiyang Chang (born 6 October 1982) is an Indian actor, television host, singer and qualified dentist.
Early life and career
Meiyang Chang was born on 6 October 1982 in Dhanbad, Jharkhand. He studied in Dhanbad, Dehradun, Mussoorie, and Bangalore. His ancestors came from Hubei province in China in the 18th century and ever since, the family has lived in India. His father is a dentist, while his mother a beautician.
Chang is a qualified dentist, with a dentistry degree from V.S. Dental College & Hospital in Bangalore. A chance audition on Indian Idol 3, a nationwide singing competition on Sony Entertainment Television channel turned his life around. He attained the 5th place in the competition and bagged a contract with Sony Music India to record an album Tu To Na Aayi which had compositions by music directors Leslie Lewis and Amit Trivedi. His songs include Tu To Na Ayi, Kuch Dino Se, Hanju, to name a few. The musical sojourn resulted in Live performances across the globe, a jet-setting journey that continues to this day especially in the form of Temptations Reloaded, the globe-spanning Bollywood extravaganze with Shah Rukh Khan.
Chang returned to anchor the fourth season of Indian Idol, which made him the first ex-contestant to ever host the show in all its international adaptations. He has also hosted the Indian Premier League, India's Got Talent, Mirchi Music Awards, IIFA amongst others. Chang has also dabbled in TV fiction with Yeh Hai Aashiqui and Ek Tha Rusty. His TV commercials include Kurkure, Orbit Chewing Gum and McDowell's No. 1.
His big ticket however, was his debut Bollywood film Badmaash Company with Yash Raj Films, one of the premier film production houses in the country. He played the character of Zing, a happy-go-lucky college graduate who along with his friends Karan (played by Shahid Kapoor), Chandu (Vir Das) and Bulbul (Anushka Sharma) dreams big and believes in doing all the wrong things the right way. The growth of his character from a fun loving boy to an out-of-control alcoholic to a sobered down, mature youngster was well appreciated.
- Badmaash Company, Yash Raj Films, 2010, as Zing
- Undisclosed, 2014
- Indian Idol 3, Sony Entertainment Television: Participant, Top 5
- Indian Idol 4, Sony Entertainment Television: Host
- Indian Premier League 2, SET Max: Sports Presenter
- Apsara Awards, Colors: Host
- IIFA Sri Lanka, Star Plus: Host
- The Chair, UTV Bindass: Host
- Desh Ki Awaz, Idols Live in Concert, Sony Entertainment Television: Host
- "Jhalak Dikhhla Jaa" 4, Sony Entertainment Television: Participant & Winner
- "India's Got Talent" 3, Colors: Host
- "New Talent Awards", Colors: Host
- "Mirchi Music Awards", Colors: Host
- "Yeh Hai Aashiqui" , UTV Bindass, Actor
- Orbit chewing gum
- McDowell's No. 1
- Tu To Na Ayi with Sony Music, 2008 India http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=utBWRLQOnUw
- "Udd Chaley" with Sony Music India, 2008 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dgBWQ8W7qGw
- "Kuch Dino Se" with Sony Music India, 2013 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=haa5ibVe5kI
- "Hanju" with Times Music India, 2013 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kxgyNgZPoEY
- Tu To Na Ayi, Music Album with Sony Music India
- Live shows across the globe, including "Temptations Reloaded" with Shah Rukh Khan
- "Kuch Dino Se", Single with Sony Music India http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=haa5ibVe5kI
- "Hanju", Single with Times Music India http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kxgyNgZPoEY