|Established||1991 (፲፱፻፹፫ ዓ.ም)|
|President||Dr. Kindeya Gebrehiwet|
Mekelle University (abbreviated as MU)(Ge'ez: መቐለ ዩኒቨርሲቲ) is a higher education and training public institution located in the city of Mekelle, situated in the northern Tigray Regional State of Ethiopia. It is 783 kilometers away from Addis Ababa, the capital, to the north.
Mekelle University College was established in 1993 as the Arid Zone Agricultural College, which found a permanent home in Mekelle (መቐለ) after a series of re-locations. During the former regime, the college was originally scheduled to be located near Selek Leka, in northwestern Tigray. However, it was first established at the University of Asmara as a faculty, but was then moved to Agarfa in southern Ethiopia, when the Derg displaced Asmara University in 1990 due to the political instability at the time. A year later, in 1991, Asmara University returned to Asmara and the Arid Zone Agricultural Faculty moved temporarily to Alamaya University. In 1993, the Arid Zone Agricultural College was again relocated, this time to Mekelle, as the College of Dry-land Agriculture and Natural Resources Management, and permanently settled at the Endayesus Campus, which had been a military barrack since the time of Emperor Menelik.
The Arid Zone Agricultural College started with three degree programs in 1993 with 42 students. After two years, the Faculty of Science and Technology was established at the same campus and, together, these two faculties were then upgraded to Mekelle University College. Side by side the Law Faculty then began by accepting diploma students in the continuing education program.
In May 2000, the Government of Ethiopia (Council of Ministers, Regulations No. 61/1999 of Article 3) formalized Mekelle University as an autonomous higher education institution having its own legal personality. The merger of the two former colleges created the University: Mekelle Business College and Mekelle University College. The two colleges have their own historical developments and re-locations.
At present, Mekelle University is one of the secular public universities in Ethiopia. It has seven colleges, eight institutes, and more than 90 undergraduate and 70 postgraduate programs. The student intake capacity of Mekelle University has reached 31,000 or 10% of Mekelle's population.
Campus, Colleges and Institutes
Mekelle University has five campuses, with two more under construction within the city of Mekelle. Each campus is home to a number of colleges and/or institutes:
- Endayesus Main Campus or Arid gebi (እንዳየሱስ ዋናው ግቢ)
- College of Dryland Agriculture and Natural Resources Management
- College of Natural and Computational Sciences
- Ethiopian Institute of Technology - Mekelle (EIT-Mekelle)
- Institute of Paleo-environment and Heritage Conservation
- Institute of Geo-Information and Earth Observation
- Institute of Environment, Gender and Development Studies
- Institute of Water and Environment
- Institute of Climate and Society
- Institute of Pedagogical Sciences
- Adi Haki Campus (ዓዲ ሓቂ ግቢ)
- College of Law and Governance
- College of Social Sciences and Languages
- College of Business and Economics
- Ayder Campus (ዓይደር ግቢ)
- College of Health Sciences and Ayder Referral Hospital (የጤና ሳይንስ ኮሌጅ እና ዓይደር ረፈራል ሆስፒታል)
- Kalamino Campus (ቓላሚኖ ግቢ)
- College of Veterinary Medicine
- Aynalem Campus (ኣይናለም ግቢ)
- Mekelle Institute of Technology (MU-MIT)
- Meles Zenawi Campus (መለስ ዜናዊ ግቢ)
- Quiha (under construction)
- Mai Degene Campus (ማይደገነ ግቢ)
- Sports Science Academy and Mekelle Stadium (የስፓርት ሳይንስ አካዳሚና መቐለ ስታዲየም) (under construction)