Location in Izard County and the state of Arkansas
|• Total||6.2 sq mi (16.2 km2)|
|• Land||6.2 sq mi (16.2 km2)|
|• Water||0 sq mi (0 km2)|
|Elevation||610 ft (186 m)|
|• Density||269.8/sq mi (103.3/km2)|
|Time zone||Central (CST) (UTC-6)|
|• Summer (DST)||CDT (UTC-5)|
|GNIS feature ID||0077643|
Melbourne is a city in Izard County, Arkansas, United States. The population was 1,673 at the 2000 census. The town is the county seat of Izard County, and home to the main campus of Ozarka College.
Melbourne is located at .
According to the United States Census Bureau, the city has a total area of 6.2 square miles (16 km2), all of it land.
List Of Highways
As of the census of 2000, there were 1,673 people, 736 households, and 448 families residing in the city. The population density was 268.0 people per square mile (103.5/km²). There were 838 housing units at an average density of 134.2 per square mile (51.9/km²). The racial makeup of the city was 97.55% White, 0.36% Native American, 0.18% Asian, 0.42% from other races, and 1.49% from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 0.60% of the population.
There were 736 households out of which 25.8% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 45.1% were married couples living together, 13.3% had a female householder with no husband present, and 39.0% were non-families. 35.3% of all households were made up of individuals and 17.4% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.15 and the average family size was 2.78.
In the city the population was spread out with 21.9% under the age of 18, 9.9% from 18 to 24, 24.4% from 25 to 44, 22.7% from 45 to 64, and 21.2% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 40 years. For every 100 females there were 83.2 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 76.5 males.
The median income for a household in the city was $22,757, and the median income for a family was $31,900. Males had a median income of $23,529 versus $18,264 for females. The per capita income for the city was $13,110. About 14.5% of families and 18.4% of the population were below the poverty line, including 25.9% of those under age 18 and 21.9% of those age 65 or over.
Public education for elementary and secondary school students is available from Melbourne School District, which leads students to graduate from Melbourne High School. The school's athletic emblem and mascot is the Bearkatz.
- Michelle Gray, Republican member of the Arkansas House of Representatives for District 62; resident with her husband, Dr. Adam Gray, of Melbourne
- Glen D. Johnson - Member of the United States House of Representatives for Oklahoma's 4th congressional district; born in Melbourne, died 1983
- "Find a County". National Association of Counties. Retrieved 2011-06-07.
- "US Gazetteer files: 2010, 2000, and 1990". United States Census Bureau. 2011-02-12. Retrieved 2011-04-23.
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "Michelle Gray". arkansashouse.org. Retrieved August 12, 2015. Check date values in: