Melbourne, East Riding of Yorkshire
Melbourne shown within the East Riding of Yorkshire
|Population||793 (2011 census)|
|OS grid reference|
|Unitary authority||East Riding of Yorkshire|
|Ceremonial county||East Riding of Yorkshire|
|Region||Yorkshire and the Humber|
|Sovereign state||United Kingdom|
|EU Parliament||Yorkshire and the Humber|
|UK Parliament||East Yorkshire|
Melbourne is a village and civil parish in the East Riding of Yorkshire, England. It is situated approximately 8 miles (13 km) west of the market town of Market Weighton and 4.5 miles (7.2 km) south-west of the market town of Pocklington. It lies just to the south of the Pocklington Canal. The Pocklngton Canal Amenity Society runs boat trips from the Melbourne Arm of the canal, on its trip boat New Horizons.
Amenities and enterprises
Melbourne has a Primary School (Melbourne Community Primary School) with an after School Club ('The M & M Club').
Until December 2013, there was a pre-school called Little Sunshines which operated from the village hall on Tuesday afternoons and Wednesday mornings.
There are a number of commercial enterprises in the village which include a pub and a shop.
Farming is one of the main economic drivers in the area but recently the Agricultural Machinery firm Sumo has set up business and now employs around 40 people.
Social amenities in the Village include the Village Hall and the Playing Field.
Melbourne Sports and Playing Field Association look after the Village's Playing Field at the East end of Main Street. The Playing Field has a pavilion, Scout Hut, children's play area, tennis court, football and cricket pitches.
There are a number of sports clubs in the village, including:
- Melbourne Cricket Club - based at Melbourne Village Playing Field
- Melbourne Football Club - based at Melbourne Village Playing Field
- Melbourne Bowling Club - based at the Bowling Green behind the Village Hall
- "Key Figures for 2011 Census: Key Statistics: Area: Melbourne CP (Parish)". Neighbourhood Statistics. Office for National Statistics. Retrieved 6 February 2013.
- "Pocklington Canal Amenity Society". Pocklington Canal Society. Retrieved 21 February 2014.
- "2001 Census: Key Statistics: Parish Headcounts: Area: Melbourne CP (Parish)". Neighbourhood Statistics. Office for National Statistics. Retrieved 19 May 2008.
- "Melbourne Community Primary School - Welcome to". Melbourne Primary School. Retrieved 21 February 2014.
- "Melbourne Cricket Club, East Riding of Yorkshire". Melbourne Cricket Club. Retrieved 21 February 2014.
- "Melbourne Football Club, East Riding of Yorkshire". Melbourne Football Club. Retrieved 21 February 2014.
- Gazetteer — A–Z of Towns Villages and Hamlets. East Riding of Yorkshire Council. 2006. p. 8.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Melbourne.|
|This East Riding of Yorkshire location article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|