|CEO||Dr Andrew Giddy|
|Location||Melbourne, Victoria, Australia|
Melbourne Polytechnic is a hybrid educational organisation developed and administered by Northern Melbourne Institute of TAFE (NMIT) offering vocational education courses encompassing Certificate, Diploma, Advanced Diploma levels and Bachelor degrees at Prahran campus.
NMIT Bachelor degrees in Business, Hospitality Management, Information Technology, and Writing and Publishing will initially be offered by Melbourne Polytechnic. Further degree courses are envisaged to be developed through a partnership between La Trobe University and NMIT, with the first degree being the Bachelor of Agriculture and Technology based at Epping Campus.
In 2013 NMIT negotiated the purchase of the Prahan campus of Swinburne University of Technology. Melbourne Polytechnic is based at the Prahan campus and has a special emphasis offering courses in the Creative arts industry.
Melbourne Polytechnic is initially offering in 2014 a number of existing NMIT Bachelor degree courses at the Prahran campus in Business, Hospitality Management, Information Technology, and Writing and Publishing, as well as the Higher Education Diploma of Tertiary Studies.
The first higher education course developed and delivered by Melbourne Polytechnic is the Bachelor of Agriculture and Technology, which is taught at NMIT's Yan Yean farm and Epping campus. Graduates will have their degree conferred by La Trobe University.
Initial VET courses being offered in 2014 include in the areas of Accounting, Beauty Therapy, Community Services Work, Cooking and Patisserie, Costume for Performance, Digital Media, Events, Graphic Design, Hospitality, International Business, Information Technology, Interior Design and Decoration, Justice, Live Production and Theatre Arts, Music and Music Business, Photography, Writing, Sound Production, Specialist Make-Up services, Travel and Tourism, Visual Arts, Visual Merchandising.
- "La Trobe University and NMIT move to create new Melbourne Polytechnic" (Press release). Melbourne, Australia: Melbourne Polytechnic. 13 August 2013. Retrieved 9 January 2014.
- NMIT media release, 13 August 2013, La Trobe University and NMIT move to create new Melbourne Polytechnic, Retrieved 9 January 2014
- La Trobe University media release, 14 August 2013, New tertiary education model announced, Retrieved 9 January 2014
- Adrian Bernecich, Heidelberg Leader, 13 August 2013, La Trobe and NMIT join forces to create a uni and TAFE hybrid, Retrieved 9 January 2014
- Chris McLennan, Weekly Times, 20 November 2013, New ag degree on offer'
- ABC News, 1 August 2013, NMIT to turn Swinburne's Prahran campus into centre for creative arts, Retrieved 9 January 2014
- Gavin Moodie, The Australian, 30 October 2013, Competition for students will see more structural changes, Retrieved 9 January 2014
- Paul Isbel, Artshub website, 2 May 2013, NMIT runs a ruler over Swinburne, Retrieved 9 January 2013
- Melbourne Polytechnic media release, 13 November 2013, Courses at Melbourne Polytechnic, Retrieved 9 January 2014
- Melbourne Polytechnic media release, 19 November 2013, New innovative and affordable Degree from Melbourne Polytechnic, Retrieved 9 January 2014