Melbourne Track Classic
|Melbourne Track Classic|
|Event type||Track and field|
|Official site||Melbourne Track Classic|
The Melbourne Track Classic is an annual outdoor track and field meeting which takes place in early March in Melbourne, Australia. Currently held at the Lakeside Stadium, prior to 2012 the meeting was held at the Olympic Park Stadium.
The competition was inaugurated in the late 1980s at the Olympic Stadium and gained a place on the IAAF Grand Prix circuit in its formative years. It has remained on the major international outdoor track and field circuit, featuring as the opening race of the year on the IAAF World Athletics Tour from 2005 to 2009. It is currently the first race of the IAAF World Challenge series. The event is also the foremost meet of the Australian Athletics Tour.
The Melbourne Track Classic has featured many high level performances including continental Oceanian records by Tim Forsyth in the men's high jump, Nathan Deakes in the men's 5000m walk, Scott Martin in the shot put, Lisa Corrigan in the mile run and Bronwyn Thompson in the women's long jump. National records have also been set at the meeting by New Zealand and Australia's athletes.
- Johnson, Len (2011-02-28). Melbourne's Olympic Park - one final look back. IAAF. Retrieved on 2011-03-05.
- World Athletics Tour. IAAF. Retrieved on 2011-03-05.
- 2010 IAAF World Challenge. IAAF. Retrieved on 2011-03-05.
- Area Outdoor Records - Men - OCEANIA. IAAF. Retrieved on 2011-03-05.
- Area Outdoor Records - Women - OCEANIA. IAAF. Retrieved on 2011-03-05.
- Len Johnson (2011-03-03). "A touch slower, but Rudisha still supreme - IAAF World Challenge". IAAF. Retrieved 2011-03-05.
- "5000 Metres Results". IAAF. 2011-03-03. Retrieved 2011-03-05.
- "Triple Jump Results". IAAF. 3 March 2011. Retrieved 13 June 2012.
- Len Johnson (21 March 2015). "Rudisha and Pearson win in Melbourne, Viljoen edges Mickle". IAAF. Retrieved 21 March 2015.
- "Discus Throw Results". www.athsaus.imgstg.com. 22 March 2014. Retrieved 24 March 2014.
- "100 Metres Hurdles Results". IAAF. 3 March 2012. Retrieved 4 March 2012.
- Len Johnson (3 March 2012). "Elated Mottram sprints back to form with victory in Melbourne - IAAF World Challenge". IAAF. Retrieved 4 March 2012.
- "Shot Put Results". IAAF. 3 March 2011. Retrieved 13 June 2012.
- Len Johnson (22 March 2014). "Mickle promises, Mickle delivers in Melbourne - IAAF World Challenge". IAAF. Retrieved 24 March 2014.