Melbourne tram route 57
|West Maribyrnong - City (Elizabeth St)|
A Z class on route 57 in Elizabeth Street.
|System||Melbourne tramway network|
|End||Melbourne CBD (Elizabeth St)|
|Length||11.6 km (7.2 mi)|
|Zone(s)||Zone 1 for the entire route|
|Annual patronage||5.6 million|
|Timetable||Route 57 timetable|
|Map||Route 57 map|
Tram route 57 is a public transport service in Melbourne, Victoria, Australia. It runs from the corner of Flinders Street and Elizabeth Street in the city centre to West Maribyrnong in the inner Western suburbs.
The route runs along Elizabeth Street in the city, Victoria Street in West Melbourne, Errol Street, Queensberry Street and Abbotsford Street in North Melbourne, Flemington Road in Parkville, Racecourse Road through North Melbourne, Kensington, Newmarket and Flemington, Epsom Road through Flemington and Ascot Vale, Union Road and Maribyrnong Road in Ascot Vale, and Raleigh Road and Cordite Avenue in Maribyrnong where it terminates at the corner of Cordite Avenue and Central Park Avenue.
Route 57 shares track with route 82 between the intersection of Maribyrnong Road and Union Road, Ascot Vale; and Raleigh Road and Wests Road, Maribyrnong. A loop siding exists at the south end of Union Road in Ascot Vale, and is used during special events at the Royal Melbourne Showgrounds and Flemington Racecourse to handle the additional trams used to move the crowds of passengers.
There are 49 stops on route 57. Commencing at the Sir Robert Risson tram terminus at the intersection of Flinders and Elizabeth Streets, opposite Flinders Street Station (stop 1), route 57 then runs via:
- Elizabeth Street (stops 1 - 9)
- Collins Street, tram routes 11, 12, 42, 48, 109, and 112 (stop 2)
- Bourke Street, GPO, tram routes 86, 95, and 96 (stop 3)
- Lonsdale Street, St Francis' Church (stop 4)
- La Trobe Street, Melbourne Central shopping centre and railway station, tram routes 24, 30, 34, and City Circle (stop 5)
- Victoria Street, Queen Victoria Market, tram routes 19 and 59 (stop 7)
- Victoria Street
- Errol Street/Queensberry Street/Abbotsford Street
- Flemington Road
- Racecourse Road/Epsom Road/Union Road
- Maribyrnong Road
- Maribyrnong River Trail (stop 41)
- Raleigh Road/Cordite Avenue
Ends at Cordite Avenue, West Maribyrnong (stop 49).
There have been proposals, supported by the Public Transport Users Association and local politicians, to extend route 57 north-west along Milleara Road to Avondale Heights and East Keilor. Variations of this proposal including building a park and ride facility near the terminus, or establishing a high frequency bus service between the terminus and East Keilor down Milleara Road.
The State Government in 2009 also proposed the tram be extended into the new suburb planned for the former Maribyrnong Defence Site. The tram would head north from its current terminus into the heart of the new suburb.
- "Route 57", Yarra Trams, retrieved 12 June 2013
- "Facts & figures". Yarra Trams. Retrieved 15 December 2013.
- "Showgrounds Loop". Vicsig Forums. Retrieved 6 October 2011.
- Public Transport Users Association. "Policies: Extending Melbourne’s network". ptua.org.au. Retrieved 6 October 2011.
- McMahon, Stephen (9 April 2009). "New Melbourne suburb to be built in Maribyrnong". Herald Sun. Retrieved 9 June 2014.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Melbourne tram route 57.|