Melbourne tram route 72
|Melbourne University – Camberwell|
|System||Melbourne tramway network|
|Vehicle||Z class, D1 class|
Melbourne CBD (Swanston St)
|Length||16.8 km (10.4 mi)|
|Zone(s)||Zone 1 for the entire route|
|Annual patronage||6.2 million|
|Timetable||Route 72 timetable|
|Map||Route 72 map|
Tram route 72 is a public transport service in Melbourne, Victoria, Australia. It runs from Melbourne University to Camberwell in the eastern suburbs. It runs through the suburbs of Melbourne, South Yarra, Toorak, Malvern, Glen Iris, and Camberwell. Like most tram routes in Melbourne, it is entirely within myki ticketing Zone 1.
Route 72 was originally known as route 7. When its base of operations was moved from Malvern depot to Camberwell depot for a short period, it became route 72 in keeping with that depot's numbering scheme (routes 70 and 75 being the other routes based at Camberwell depot). The route was subsequently returned to Malvern depot, yet kept its new number as the route 7 designation had been given to a shortened version of route 6 (also based at Malvern depot).
In response to the State Government's 2001 Melbourne 2030 planning policy, the Public Transport Users Association lobbied to extend route 72 north to Doncaster Road, and onto Ivanhoe railway station, and south to Caulfield.
- Swanston Street (stops 1 - 13)
- RMIT University (stop 7)
- La Trobe Street, State Library of Victoria, Melbourne Central Shopping Centre and railway station, tram routes 24, 30, 34 and the City Circle (stop 8)
- Lonsdale Street, QV Village (stop 9)
- Bourke Street, tram routes 86, 95 and 96 (stop 10)
- Collins Street, Melbourne Town Hall, Melbourne City Square, tram routes 11, 12, 42, 48, 109 and 112 (stop 11)
- Flinders Street, Flinders Street Station, Federation Square, St Paul's Cathedral, tram routes 70, 75 and the City Circle (stop 13)
- St Kilda Road (stops 14 - 25)
- Victorian Arts Centre (stop 14)
- National Gallery of Victoria, Queen Victoria Gardens (stop 15)
- Southbank Boulevard, tram route 1 (stop 16)
- Shrine of Remembrance (stop 19)
- Domain Interchange, tram routes 8 and 55 (stop 20)
- Toorak Road (stop 22)
- Commercial Road, tram routes 3, 5, 6, 16, 64 and 67 (stop 25)
- Commercial Road (stops 26 - 30)
- Malvern Road (stops 31 - 50)
- Burke Road (stops 51 - 70)
Ends at Camberwell terminus (stop 70), Burke and Cotham/Whitehorse Roads.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Melbourne tram route 72.|